TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started off with a vibration in the steering wheel (not an alignment or wheel issue). Took it to the dealer after local guy couldn't figure it out. Both bearings, seals, shoes had to be replaced. Total cost, $1200. Two days later I get a call saying passenger side axle needed to be replaced. $300. Another 2 days for part to come in. Then I get a call saying that sometime somewhere someone had replaced the rear end with a different rear end not from a 2000 trd. Should they have noticed this before? Then they tell me that they know this because the axle they ordered is two inches too long. They also say that the axle they pulled out was a little too short?!! WTF! They have no idea what year rear end it is and can't seem to find out. Unless I can find out and get an axle for that year, I will need to replace the whole rear it. Cost...up to $2500. What are my options at this point. Are they screwing me? Please HELP!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
if your dealer can't figure out what axle you have it's time to find a new one.

A trd axle is easily distinguished by the e-locker (electric locker) mechanism mounted to it. and from it's intro in 95 thru 2005 (and possibly beyond?) there are no variations in length. Non Trd tacos and prerunners all use a different axle, but again no lenght variations.

I think you need to take a picture of your axle and post it, I'm sure someone here will be able to identify it for you.

Also before these guys started replacing expensive parts did they check the basics first like u-joints, tre, bjs, tire balance, etc

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
no button in the cab and no electric locker = non trd axle. the locker is what makes the trd axle, well that and a slightly smaller ring gear and a few other differences. Also on the trd axles the drain plug is on the dri side http://new.photos.yahoo.com/terrystaco/album/576460762343535298/photo/294928803651991189/2 (poor pic but if you look close you can kind of make it out)
On the non trd axle the plug is on the pass side http://new.photos.yahoo.com/terrystaco/album/576460762342387674 (again sorry for the poor pics)

EDIT: better pic of a trd axle http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=98 just ignore the all pro skid but notice the locker mechanism and drain plug position

·
Registered
646 Posts
If there isnt a diff lock then you dont have a TRD. This happened to a guy up here in the NE. He was told his truck was a TRD and it had the stickers then when he got into wheeling and found out about the locker he realized his truck wasnt an actual TRD.

The dealership is trying to screw you. They must be a bunch of dumbasses if they cant figure out what rearend you have. If the axleshaft was 2 inches to long or short it would never work in the rear end anyways.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The drain plug for my '05 TRD e-locker rear end is on the passenger side and I believe the overall width of the axle grow by 4" in '05 as well. So there have been changes. Beyond my own truck though I couldn't tell you anything.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
interesting on the plug position, I figured the newer ones might be wider. Wonder if they tried to stick a newer shaft into his truck

Also I just noticed where this was posted, OHBumkin you may want to get a mod to move this thread to the Early Tacoma Tech or Newbie Tech to avoid confusion. You posted this in the folder for the 05 and up generations of Tacomas

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why don't they just run the VIN? That should tell them everything they need to know about your truck including what rear end should go under it. They're jerking you around big time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Getting pics today and going to meet with the techs at Toyota. He said the shaft they pulled out was too short and the one they tried to put in was an inch and a half too long. They think the rear is pre 95.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
that all just doesn't sound right at all.... i would think that a dealer would notice a pre95 axles sitting on a truck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: WTF!!! I went to the dealership, looked under the truck, saw the ELD wasn't even mounted to the diff. I should've noticed that before, but I haven't needed it yet. I talked to them and decided that the only axle it could be is from a pre 95. Now to find the guy who sold it to me. Fool me once... Anyway, I just purchased another rear end and should have it right after Christmas. I never noticed the locker button because it was under some sticker, but it was disconnected anyway. I should joined this site before buying. FYI shafts from 95-2004 (?) are the same length. Pre 95 are shorter. Really hard to find a rear end, anyone know where to find complete remanu. rear ends? I got one, but for future reference.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
THat Sucks-
So the previous owner sold off the TRD axle and swapped out a Pre-Taco rear axle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts