TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. My name is Travis. This is my first post here. I have a 2000 tacoma extra cab, v6 4x4. It has 60k miles and rides like crap. Bumpy, tracks, alignment is good. Stock 15 inch wheels. The truck is new to me and I am hoping to make it ride better. I am not lifting it or doing any major mods. Although I was hoping to put tundra brakes on it but I don't think that I can since I have 15 inch wheels. The brake upgrade will have to wait until I buy 16's or 17's.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do with the suspension? I was kind of hoping that I could swap out the shocks for some bilsteins but I figure there will be more to it than that. Or maybe the suspension on the 2000 is hopeless as is. I have noticed that the tacomas from the mid 2000's have bigger wheels with different tire sizes. I would imagine that would make a difference also.

So my 3 main things that I would like to improve are the suspension, braking power, and engine power/fuel economy.
Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you're going ti change suspension to new shocks go with bilstein 5100... they are adjustable in height so if you change our mind on lift later, you already 1/2 there. Also they are inexpensive, reliable and rebuildable. for breaks find 16'' factory take offs and you'll clear just fine. btw tundra drilled kit on amazon for 350 is amazing! bumpy ride most likely goes back to tires... so if you change those might as well do 16s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will look in to the shocks although I will never lift it. I might lift my tundra. Just planning on keeping this rig stock. I am curious how much the tire size and type play in to the bumpy ride. I would imagine they are at least half the problem.
Swapped out the brakes today for some slotted rotors and hawk lts pads. The stopping power is already greatly improved.
Any thoughts on what I can do to get better mpg or power out of the motor. I am surprised how much of a dog these v6's are

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow... only 60k miles on a 2000? That's awesome.

Large and heavy duty tires often make a small truck rider really rough. What are you running for tires?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Go through and use Seafoam in the intake, replace fuel filter, spark plugs, clean the MAF. My 3.4 is surprisingly quick when those things have been tended to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts