TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some looking and can't find this anywhere. I have a 2001 4x4 V6 that needs a new clutch. I am going to have someone do the work as I do not have time, but was thinking of buying the parts myself to save some money.

My question is, does anyone have a list or link to a list (or write-up) that tells me what parts I need? I figure it is just more then the 'kit' that websites sell for $250ish.

Also, is Exedy an acceptable brand, or is it something to avoid?

Thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
Exedy is fine. You will also need a new pilot bearing and throwout bearing, as well as a new rear main seal. It is best to stay with OEM on those, as the chinese knockoff bearings get noisy very quickly. You will also want to make sure whoever install your clutch also gets the flywheel resurfaced.

Heres a site for discount OEM parts (from an actual Toyota dealership): http://www.partswebsite.com/autopartspeople/

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
^2 (mostly)

The Exedy kit is a decent stock replacement clutch. The kit should come with a throwout bearing and pilot bearing. Check the throwout bearing and see if it has any markings on it. Ideally I recommend the NSK bearings since they last the longest. Naichi and Timken are OK. You definitely don't want a crappy Chinese bearing.

The rear main seal isn't required, but if it shows signs of leaking, this is the time to replace it.

If you have a shop do the work, they will have the flywheel resurfaced.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rear main seal isn't required, but now is the time to do it. If it starts leaking you will wish you would have done it with the clutch. It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the Aisin kit (through Amazon of all places...I hope they know what they are doing with it) and ordered the OEM pilot bearing and main seal through the local dealer. I am gambling the Aisin kit will still have a decent throwout as the OEM was more than I could fit into my budget at this time. Figured I better do the seal too, since the truck has 158k and this is the first clutch replacement.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I haven't used an Aisin kit, but they are the OEM supplier so the bearing should be quality. Like Showstop said, NSK and Nachi are the best. I'm kind of curious if the kit comes with one of those. Let me know once you have a chance to look over your parts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't have a chance to go through the Aisin kit before the mechanic put it in yesterday, but the pilot bearing (which I assume is the same brand as the throwout) were Koyo. Apparently this is the Japanese bearing company that supplies bearings for the US Navy, so I imagine they should be pretty good quality. I went with the Aisin it because although Exedy reviews were good, it had thinner plates. I want stuff the same size as OEM for some odd reason. So far so good on the install, I need to talk to the mechanic about the clutch pedal...it is still a bit saggy. He may not have realized it wasn't always so saggy. :) That or I still need to replace the master cylinder too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess that makes sense as all of the parts learn to get used to one another (like brake pistons). It felt exactly the same pre-replacement sans the Annoying Clutch Pedal Squeak of Doom. I took it back to the mechanic today and had him bleed the system a bit more, and the pedal is back to normal. Will forcing the issue like that cause any problems, or just hasten the adjustment that would have happened anyway?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts