TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trying to decide on gear ratios, i have 4.56 in the rear which is stock cause i have a 4 cyl. I need better gas milege and more power, but if i can only have one i want gas miledge. But i need to make up for some of the weight i am going to put on this truck.

So, Stick with 4.56?

Or go 4.88 or 5.29s?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5.29 with the 4cyl, stick, and 35's :kewl:
I have an automatic.
If he has stock 4.56s he probably has an auto transmission.

What tire size are you going to run?
Already running 31s", might stick with them. But the biggest i would go would be 33s"

But i want the best mix of better gas mileage and power. It already sluggish with the 31"s.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sounds like you're keeping the auto and just doing the 4wd conversion?

Also, your donor front end look very similar to mine when I received it, give or take:

Having everything there and exposed makes it a lot whole easier, especially when it's time to free those rusted ball joints :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
How is the cost comparison between the conversion using stock componants vs. an SAS? Not like I've priced a 4wd front half so I'm just curious.
Am I correct in assuming the only other primary parts would just be the transcase, shaft, and shifter?
I ask because I have had a few people approach me about a conversion (none yet to throw out some cash though).

I figured the trucks would essentailly be built the same, minus the diff, case, shifter componants and console. I guess the gauge panel has the same indicators, and probably the unused wiring as the 4wd.

You know better than me. I'll be following along.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you're keeping the auto and just doing the 4wd conversion?

Also, your donor front end look very similar to mine when I received it, give or take:

Having everything there and exposed makes it a lot whole easier, especially when it's time to free those rusted ball joints :D
Yes i am keeping the Automatic. Yeah im gonna try to start cleaning it up and taking it apart tomorrow, it will be a chore.

If your just doing 4x4 then yours will wont be that hard. whats the front dif gearing now? Any other questions just ask.
Im not sure what the gearing is it came off of a '96 reg cab v6 5 speed.

Got a few questions about driveshafts.

Do i have to have driveshafts from a 4 cyl? Or are all the front shafts the same length?

And the front part of the rear driveshaft, does it have to be from an automatic 4 cyl?

Do you know the lenghts on those shafts?

How is the cost comparison between the conversion using stock componants vs. an SAS? Not like I've priced a 4wd front half so I'm just curious.
Am I correct in assuming the only other primary parts would just be the transcase, shaft, and shifter?
I ask because I have had a few people approach me about a conversion (none yet to throw out some cash though).

I figured the trucks would essentailly be built the same, minus the diff, case, shifter componants and console. I guess the gauge panel has the same indicators, and probably the unused wiring as the 4wd.

You know better than me. I'll be following along.
I payed $250 for all that i got there. The conversion can be done for between $1000 and $1500. SAS go from between $5000 and $10000 at the high end.

Yeah i need a Trannny and t-case, just gonna buy them together. Transmission mount, driveshafts, then interior stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got the same year prerunner that you have, and it is the same engine tranny combo.

I already have the tranny (manual)/T-case combo, new pressure plate, clutch disk, fly wheel, clutch lines slave and master cylinder, crossmember (which needs to be modified in my case, brought forward about 4 inches), clutch pedal and brake pedal.
I'm needing only what you just got, front diff, cv's, hubs, etc.

can't wait to get the rest so I can start tearing down everything...

good luck to you, I'll try to follow your thread!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts