TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving my 01 Tacoma V6 the other day and it just shut off. I pulled over and tried to restart it. It will turns over but want even try to fire up. I hooked my scanner up and it will not even communicate with the ECM anymore. Checked the power to the coils and the injector, I have 12V feeding them but no spark and no fuel. I tested the cam sensor, MAFS, relays and fuses, all are reading as the book calls for. I did not test the crank sensor!! I checked the timing belt and all's well with it. So I thought it's got to be the ECM, so I purchase one and low and behold I still have the same issues. Looking for some help from all of you out there. Any thoughts before I throw in the towel and send it to a shop?? Could it be an issue with the igniter? I don't even hear the fuel pump come on and off, I even took the fuel rail crossover off and turn the key to on and no fuel came out. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Same thing happened to me back in 2011. Truck died while driving. I didn't believe it could be the fuel pump at only 180K.
I changed the MAF, the TPS, IACV, and the ECM. No change. They all share the same circuit and I was getting weird readings from the IACV which is why I was throwing parts at it.
I eventually changed the fuel pump.

If you can't hear the fuel pump coming on then change it.
I would recommend Toyota OE only for the pump.
I had 3 Autozone pumps fail on me in 2 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same thing happened to me back in 2011. Truck died while driving. I didn't believe it could be the fuel pump at only 180K.
I changed the MAF, the TPS, IACV, and the ECM. No change. They all share the same circuit and I was getting weird readings from the IACV which is why I was throwing parts at it.
I eventually changed the fuel pump.

If you can't hear the fuel pump coming on then change it.
I would recommend Toyota OE only for the pump.
I had 3 Autozone pumps fail on me in 2 years.
This is spot on. Especially if you drive with the gas warning light on, or 1/8th tank or less. Possibly, but not probably, a very dirty fuel filter. It’s not that bad to drop the tank, and replace the fuel pump. You can even replace just the failed parts of a fuel pump and keep the sending unit and float you already have to save money.
I have a 2001 FSM but it should be good for ‘01-04 and very similar for the first half of first gens too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts