TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a more vague thread previously but I beleive it was in the wrong section.

Ok, I have spent the last 6 hours straight researching, as well as the last few days just looking. 2001 tacoma double cab 3.4L auto trans 4x4 TRD SR5 with 4.10 gears.
I will be using it as a daily driver and to haul my dirtbike around but the main purpose is to go cruise around at the SAND DUNES as well as general offroading. I want to be able to go a decent speed, I dont like going super slow.

1. I think I want duratrac 33 x 12.5 x 15. Any reason to not want that?

2. I have looked into the options for lift and wanted some input. It seems like coil overs are the best option for what I want. Adjustibility, good handling on and off road. Is there anything I should know about these? Can I get the hight I need or do I have to modify or buy other parts?

3. Rear shackles for the rear? These seem to be the best all around option to me. I live in an area where we don't have to do smog / emissions testing, I can cut my exhaust at the rear door until I get the exhaust I want.

4. Any other input? I want something reliable that works good. I have some money to spend on it but not 5k for a lift setup.

I appreciate all the input I can get. Thanks!

·
Registered
746 Posts
All of this really depends on what you want and how much you WANT to spend. From how you described you will use your truck, you'd probably be fine with adjustable 5100s in the front, add a leaf in the back and a new set of shocks for the rear. That will probably run you around $500. You could go to the other end of the spectrum and get a nice set of Icons, and some Deaver springs. Now you're pushing up over $2000.

Do answer your question directly: coilovers are good, no you don't need anything else for the front, shackles work.

I'd read more, about what people have and what and why they like or dislike what they have, or why they changed from one thing to another. Then you'll be able to figure out what suits you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of this really depends on what you want and how much you WANT to spend. From how you described you will use your truck, you'd probably be fine with adjustable 5100s in the front, add a leaf in the back and a new set of shocks for the rear. That will probably run you around $500. You could go to the other end of the spectrum and get a nice set of Icons, and some Deaver springs. Now you're pushing up over $2000.

Do answer your question directly: coilovers are good, no you don't need anything else for the front, shackles work.

I'd read more, about what people have and what and why they like or dislike what they have, or why they changed from one thing to another. Then you'll be able to figure out what suits you.

I want a capable offroad truck for the sand dunes and some other general offroad. I need it to be a daily driver and be able to still load my dirtbike in the rear.

I want to spend as little as possible for a great setup, like everyone else haha. But probably no more than 1500.

I've been reading and reading, I think I will do some RR coilovers and UCA if I can find a good deal or used. Then an adjustable shackle for the rear with new shocks.

Thanks again for the post!

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
First and foremost, forget trying to keep the stock leaf springs.
They suck. Adding a shackle or an AAL to them is only a bandaid.

I myself run OME 882's and an Allpro rear kit (3" w/ bilstein 5125's) and my truck does great in every environment.
I can do 40 in the dunes (NOT whoops, only bowls and relatively smooth flats) and then hit the street or the rocks and have a great ride.
The rear can be stiff at times though. But, it's SOA and has about 2-3" of up-travel and stiff ass bump stops so there isn't much to expect from it.

I may be biased, but the Allpro/ bilstein adjustable coilovers are great for the money. You could probably save a bit by going with those and their rear kit at the same time. ;) You would certainly be under $1500 for a full lift kit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First and foremost, forget trying to keep the stock leaf springs.
They suck. Adding a shackle or an AAL to them is only a bandaid.

I myself run OME 882's and an Allpro rear kit (3" w/ bilstein 5125's) and my truck does great in every environment.
I can do 40 in the dunes (NOT whoops, only bowls and relatively smooth flats) and then hit the street or the rocks and have a great ride.
The rear can be stiff at times though. But, it's SOA and has about 2-3" of up-travel and stiff ass bump stops so there isn't much to expect from it.

I may be biased, but the Allpro/ bilstein adjustable coilovers are great for the money. You could probably save a bit by going with those and their rear kit at the same time. ;) You would certainly be under $1500 for a full lift kit.

So like a OME or allpro leaf spring pack is good then? Ill look into that for sure.

I had a stock 98 4runner and could do 40+ at the dunes no problem. I could still haul pretty fast with the uneven surfaces getting to the dunes, so I hope with what im doing here I will be able to go faster.

Do you not recommend doing a new UCA? I dont want to sacrifice performance for ride hight as the reason for lifting is to fit bigger tires so I can have better performance. Wouldnt want to spend money to even out where I was before.

I appreciate the post. Keep it coming!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
BDawgTrap
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing