TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Tacoma, 3.4 6 cylinder automatic with 88,000 miles. The truck has been great to me. Today I noticed as I would accellerate going through the automatic gears as it would shift into third I would get a high rev. then a thud as it would shift into third gear. Almost like it would fall out of gear and then shift. Is this a potential tranny problem? I am not really that mechanic savy so please bear with me.

Any input is appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Clearly the first thing you'll want to do is check the level and color/smell of your transmission fluid.

You'll know more once you do that, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clearly the first thing you'll want to do is check the level and color/smell of your transmission fluid.

You'll know more once you do that, if you haven't already.
I have checked the fluid level and it is fine. The color is a dark red/orange color. As for the smell, I never thought to check that?

Today driving to work, in lovely SoCal traffic, stop and go, going15-20 mph the problem seemed to get worse as the truck would shift into 2nd.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Sounds like my old range rover. The transmission went out in it, right after i traded it in. It would rev, and then kick into gear when shifting between 2-3 gear, and it would struggle on the higway, hardcore struggle. Like It wont go above 72 mph, ever.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Do you have any idea how old the fluid is or when it was last flushed?

Wouldn't be a bad idea to take it someplace to have the tranny flushed with the machine and refilled with fresh new fluid. Might cost you a decent amount, but its one of those things that you can't do effectively at home(Auto Tranny only) without a machine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any idea how old the fluid is or when it was last flushed?

Wouldn't be a bad idea to take it someplace to have the tranny flushed with the machine and refilled with fresh new fluid. Might cost you a decent amount, but its one of those things that you can't do effectively at home(Auto Tranny only) without a machine.
I am the original owner of the truck and I have never serviced the tranny fluid. I guess this may be a lesson learned. I had a mechanic tell me one time to not touch it.

If this means the tranny is going, perhaps I have to convince the wife of a new 07 Tacoma:eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the diagnosis was the transmission fluid. It was essentially mud. I had it flushed and filled. Now the truck shifts great but the engine light is still on. Honestly this is the only major problem I had with the truck since I bought it brand new in March of 2001. At the same time of fixing the tranny fluid I also had the brake fuild flushed and filled, coolant flushed and filled, and the fuel filter changed. They also had to change the water pump since it was leaking.

$950 later she is back to new!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
From what I have heard with that type of millage and never a service on the transmission, isnt that bad. They say will the flush and it is like a shock to the transmission and it will end up going out pretty soon? Make sense?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
From what I have heard with that type of millage and never a service on the transmission, isnt that bad. They say will the flush and it is like a shock to the transmission and it will end up going out pretty soon? Make sense?
in a high mileage auto trans....after not being serviced for so long...the metal shaving "make up" for certain things in the fluid so by flushing them sometimes it fucks them all to shit. If you service your vehicle at the recomended intervals its not that big of a problem....its when you neglect them when it gets to far to help it hurts;) thats why I went with a 5speed. Hard parts rock!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am the original owner of the truck and I have never serviced the tranny fluid.
LOL...88,000 thousand miles and you never bothered to change the tranny fluid? do you even change your oil every 3,000 miles? haha

·
Registered
260 Posts
in a high mileage auto trans....after not being serviced for so long...the metal shaving "make up" for certain things in the fluid so by flushing them sometimes it fucks them all to shit. If you service your vehicle at the recomended intervals its not that big of a problem....its when you neglect them when it gets to far to help it hurts;) thats why I went with a 5speed. Hard parts rock!
Well I have a 2001 tacoma with 110,000 miles and the trans I changed the fluid at around 60,000. I dont know if the guy did anything before me but that was when I got the truck. It needs to go in pretty soon. The fluid is a dark, would it be wise to flush it or just a drain and fill?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Well I have a 2001 tacoma with 110,000 miles and the trans I changed the fluid at around 60,000. I dont know if the guy did anything before me but that was when I got the truck. It needs to go in pretty soon. The fluid is a dark, would it be wise to flush it or just a drain and fill?
You can't completely drain an Auto tranny. If you drain what's in the pan, you'll get out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total amount of fluid that is in the system. The best thing would be to get a flush so that all the old fluid is pushed out and replaced with completely new fluid.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
You can't completely drain an Auto tranny. If you drain what's in the pan, you'll get out about 1/3 to 1/2 of the total amount of fluid that is in the system. The best thing would be to get a flush so that all the old fluid is pushed out and replaced with completely new fluid.
X2 like said before....if it hasnt just sat there forever (its been maintained) continue with the up keep. every 25 thousand or so depending on how your drive your vehicle. Dont goto some jiffy lube shit place...take it to a quality shop with the right equipment

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Even though it has NEVER had a flush? I heard that in about a couple weeks after I do it I will be back there for a new transmission.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts