TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 861 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had to start this thread some time might as well start now. Missed out on lots of great deals due to money issues or else I would have been done. Here is the break down.

Truck:
Toyota Tacoma
Double Cab
V6 4 speed Auto
Prerunner

Mods:
Donahoe UCA, Donahoe 2.5 Coilover, Bilstein 5125, Deaver 8 Pack, Snug Top Shell, Yakima Roof Rack, Coleman Basket, Hella 500, Custom Front & Rear Bumper, Cobra 19Ultra III CB

Current Parts:
5 speed Manual Transmission - $250 Birthday Gift
J-Shifting T-Case - $75
Front Drive Shaft - $50 Shipped
Rear Front Portion Drive Shaft - $75 Shipped
T-Case VSS - $75 Shipped
J-Shifter Lever -$39 Shipped
J-Shifter Knob - $10 Shipped
5 Speed Shift Knob - $25 Shipped
Clutch Pedal Assembly - $25 Shipped
Front Diff 4.30 - $264 Shipped
Non Add Diff Output Tube - $114.50 Shipped
Master Cylinder - $67.78 Shipped
Slave Cylinder - $37.78 Shipped
Marlin Twin Stick - $199 (Plus Shipping 10.51) Bought With Trans Mount
Marlin HD Transmission Mount 85.00 (Plus Tax 25.49)
2002 Toyota Tacoma ECU 89666-04010 - $125 Shipped
URD 5vz Short Shifter On Sale - $106.41 Shipped
Manual Hubs Spindles - Package Deal $500
Manual Hubs - Package Deal $500
Manual Cvs - Package Deal $500
4.10 Front Diff - Package Deal $500
Shift Boot And Plate - $39 Shipped
2004 MT V6 Flywheel - $300
Diff Drop Bolts - $31 Shipped
Clutch Hydro Lines and Brackets and Nuts/Bolts. $63.32 Shipped
Current Total Cost So Far 2592.79

After Selling some of the things I don't need $2347.88

Searching For Parts
Interior Plastics

I'll Update as I go.

Helpful Links:
Auto to Manual Swap Junglecode Write Up

Drive Shaft Measurements

Double Cab to Manual Swap, Advice and Pointers

Other Members Conversion Threads

HillBilly_Young01 Auto DC to 4x4
Tacoma4Life - Auto DC to Manual 4x4 (5 speed Manual Swap)
Snorkie Auto DC to 4x4 (Output Shaft Swap)
SAR_Squid79 Auto Ext to 4x4 (Using Inchworm)
Interex Auto Ext to 4x4 (Output Shaft Swap)
iceman601 Auto 4-runner to 4x4 (Using Tacoma Trans/T-case)

FAQ

Would a 4x4 Single Cab front portion of the rear drive shaft work for my Double Cab or Extra Cab? No Single Cabs drive shaft is shorter then a Double Cab or Extra Cab. Source

Can I use parts from a 4-Runner? For a Tacoma you can use 4-runner parts from a 3rd Gen 1996–2002. Source

If I do a Auto to Manual swap will I throw a CEL? Yes unless you swap out the ECU for a 5 Speed 4x4 Manual. Source

Can I reuse my Pre-runner Transmission for the swap? You have 2 options you can choose from. One is to swap out the 2wd output shaft for a 4x4 output shaft. Two run the Inchworm Prerunner Adapter Plate with a Gear Driven T-case or a Lefty Adapter with a Lefty T-Case. (NO Stock T-Case w/ Adapter)
Sources: Output Swap Prerunner Adapter Plate

Can I use my Prerunner Vehicle Speed Sensor? No, They are different. Source

How do I wire the ADD system with out the computer?/I]
Answered by Here

Can I use my Prerunner Rear Drive shaft? Yes but the front portion after the Center Carrier Bearing must be shortened 12" Inches. Source

If I use Manual Hubs will I keep my ABS? Only way to keep ABS on manual hubs is to press the Manual hubs into your ABS spindles. Source

Will a T-Case from a Manual transmission bolt to an Automatic transmission? According to ShowStop "input shafts are different lengths between auto and manual" Source 1 Source 2 *Update According to js_iron "They are the exact same output shaft length and they both will bolt right up to the A340F" Source

Can I use a 2.7 T-Case for my 3.4 Transmission.
I believe 2.7 T-cases are the same, manual/AT. The difference in shaft length is in the tranny, not the tcase.

Can I use ADD CV's with my Manual Hubs? No, the ends are different.Source

How do I wire up my clutch cancel button? "If you want the clutch start safety feature with over ride switch, best to cut it out of the wrecked truck harness and piggy back onto your DC harness." - mattm94 Source Post #18

·
Registered
597 Posts
Subscribed!

Thanks for detailing your work, as I plan in the future switching my auto '02 DC to a manual transmission with a J-Shifter. My only real questions arise with getting the electronics working. What I understand is it is important to try and get the replacement transmission from the same year, as many say the harnesses change from year to year. Good luck and I'll be checking up on your progress!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for detailing your work, as I plan in the future switching my auto '02 DC to a manual transmission with a J-Shifter. My only real questions arise with getting the electronics working. What I understand is it is important to try and get the replacement transmission from the same year, as many say the harnesses change from year to year. Good luck and I'll be checking up on your progress!
Correct, try to get the same year. But there is a thread on how to do a 5 speed swap. Which is what I am following combined with the 4x4 swaps every ones been doing. I am going with Matts Thread for the 4x4 swap info and snorkies. Going to head to the junk yards over winter break. Most likly going to find everything I need then. I updated the first post with the link for the auto to manual swap.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jomentum just might have a VSS for me! All the clutch items seem very cheap online or on ebay so I'm not to worried about that stuff. Anyone have exp with after market Clutches? or just go with OEM Clutch. Just have to run down to the junk yard to find a clutch pedal assembly. Then I needed the shifters and the rear driveshaft. Damn Finals week. :mad: Also updated the first post with FAQ that where hard for me to research. Let me know if you have a question I have everything book marked.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I installed on in my 94 yoyta Truck and It was from Autozone. Life time warranty :D
Been working great every since I did the swap

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I installed on in my 94 yoyta Truck and It was from Autozone. Life time warranty :D
Been working great every since I did the swap
How much was it? Ebay OEM seems to go for 200 bucks to 175. Doesn't seem to bad. IDK how much it is from a Dealer though.

·
Registered
411 Posts
question:

are the front portion rear d-shaft lengths different from x-cab autos and manuals???

i ask 'cause i have just done a 4x4 swap from prerunner. i bought a d-shaft BUT, LOW AND BEHOLD.......it didn't fit. it was from an x-cab taco (i didn't see the trans because both t-case and trans were pulled). well, long story, got one from another auto and it worked.

i believe the one that didn't fit was about two or so inches shorter.

are the autos and manuals trans d-shafts different in length?

if so, i've got a front portion rear d-shaft if you need it.

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
Would a 4x4 Single Cab front portion of the rear drive shaft work for my Double Cab or Extra Cab? No Single Cabs drive shaft is shorter then a Double Cab or Extra Cab. Source

Just to add to that. Single cab's have single piece rear drive shaft, there is NO carrier bearing and no front and rear piece.

Just saying. ;;

I thought you had more part's then that. Hurry up man ! :p

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
question:

are the front portion rear d-shaft lengths different from x-cab autos and manuals???

i ask 'cause i have just done a 4x4 swap from prerunner. i bought a d-shaft BUT, LOW AND BEHOLD.......it didn't fit. it was from an x-cab taco (i didn't see the trans because both t-case and trans were pulled). well, long story, got one from another auto and it worked.

i believe the one that didn't fit was about two or so inches shorter.

are the autos and manuals trans d-shafts different in length?

if so, i've got a front portion rear d-shaft if you need it.
Interesting! I'll look into that. How much for it shipped to 92804

Just to add to that. Single cab's have single piece rear drive shaft, there is NO carrier bearing and no front and rear piece.

Just saying. ;;

I thought you had more part's then that. Hurry up man ! :p
Thanks for adding scuba! I had parts lined up (Manual hubs, difs, cvs, front drive shaft.) but i found they wont work for my truck so starting over. I just wanted to start the thread to make sure I am doing things right. And to have everything documented.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How much was it? Ebay OEM seems to go for 200 bucks to 175. Doesn't seem to bad. IDK how much it is from a Dealer though.

The whole kit was soemthing like 1 50 or so i belive pluse it comes with "LIFE TIME WARRANTY":eek:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok.........Did some major digging at the ranch.!!!

I have the Vss with me :D

Pm sent
Thanks I get paid friday send you the money then.

Next up Clutch, Clutch Peddle, Master Cyl, Slave Cyl. Would you use junk yard stuff (other then Clutch) be ok or just buy some re manufacture parts.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thank you Joe! Very nice packaging! My VSS came today. The teeth count is 33 i think Tacoma's are 32 will 33 teeth make a big difference? I know you can swap a gear out, but were do I buy the gear? Answer Here

Thats what Wyatt did here

I was hoping i found a 4.30 front diff for sure but looks like its to good to be true. I wanted to do everything all at once 5 speed and 4x4 but looks like ill just focus on my 5 speed swap now. Trail looks to have OEM clutch parts
http://www.trail-gear.com/clutch.html looks like its fairly cheap just have to go to a junk hard and find a clutch pedal now.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You can find much better prices for clutches on ebay, even with free shipping. Check out the seller 'gripforce'. They also sell AISIN and/or SECO clutches...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can find much better prices for clutches on ebay, even with free shipping. Check out the seller 'gripforce'. They also sell AISIN and/or SECO clutches...
I was reading someones thread about that. Saying they dont always ship OEM Clutches, or it could have been throwout bearing?? I don't remember I'll check that out Thanks Tacoma4life!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was reading someones thread about that. Saying they dont always ship OEM Clutches, or it could have been throwout bearing?? I don't remember I'll check that out Thanks Tacoma4life!
Your exactly right. Some members will only use Aisin parts, which is what gripforce is supposed to sell. However some have received SECO parts from gripforce. I can't recommend one brand over the other as I just installed a SECO clutch and have had zero issues. But what I'm saying is trail-gear uses both Aisin and SECO as 'OEM' replacements, and I don't know if you get to pick which. So if your indifferent, gripforce sells the same brands for much less. If you do want Aisin specific parts, then I would still contact gripforce and ask directly for Aisin parts, you'll still save a bunch...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your exactly right. Some members will only use Aisin parts, which is what gripforce is supposed to sell. However some have received SECO parts from gripforce. I can't recommend one brand over the other as I just installed a SECO clutch and have had zero issues. But what I'm saying is trail-gear uses both Aisin and SECO as 'OEM' replacements, and I don't know if you get to pick which. So if your indifferent, gripforce sells the same brands for much less. If you do want Aisin specific parts, then I would still contact gripforce and ask directly for Aisin parts, you'll still save a bunch...
Thanks a bunch. Doesn't seem to big of a deal for me. Your thread about the VSS answered my other question too :D

So if I remember correctly if I use a 2002 (same year) Brake paddle i wont have to replace my brake booster? That was the only reason you swapped yours correct?

1 - 20 of 861 Posts