Registered
380 Posts
long time no talk,

Damn 4runner horns all of a sudden quit working

checked steering wheel contact good there
relay is clicking when steering wheel is pressed
direct wired horn to battery horn is fine

im thinking relay ?
The steering wheel contact uses a ground from the steering wheel. Make sure it's making good contact to gnd.

Had this exact problem on a 100 series, and it was just the ground on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steering wheel contact uses a ground from the steering wheel. Make sure it's making good contact to gnd.

Had this exact problem on a 100 series, and it was just the ground on the steering wheel.
thanks , ill figure out how to disassemble the airbag ect and take a look at it

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took airbag off steering wheel contact/ground are fine there still cant figure this out fsm doesnt show a relay under dash for horn but i def hear some damn relay clickin away when u press horn

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
How did you pop off the airbag cover on the steering wheel? I have to replace the contact in mine and am afraid of breaking the damn thing. Also there is no airbag underneath it anyways..

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you pop off the airbag cover on the steering wheel? I have to replace the contact in mine and am afraid of breaking the damn thing. Also there is no airbag underneath it anyways..
on my runner, on either side of steering wheel is a hole cover on both sides remove the cover and below it is a torx bolt just remove the 2 and airbag section will come off dont pull too far as there is a connector obviously..

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
5,583 Posts
the horns can go bad. did you check for power at the horns. if you have power activating the relay then you are good to there, it would have to be from there to the actual horn.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I need to check mine as well Vince. When I bought the truck from Brian he said the contacts inside the steering wheel needs to be hooked up. My inspection was up in August '14 but my registration is good through Nov. '15 so I simply removed the inspection sticker until then. Ill try not to get pulled over in the meantime.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the horns can go bad. did you check for power at the horns. if you have power activating the relay then you are good to there, it would have to be from there to the actual horn.
i gave each horn power directly off battery and they are fine. its something from the dash fuse panel to the horns

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
my2coma
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing