TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke a headlight on my 2002 Double Cab and figure that now would be a good time to upgrade to something better than stock. I've been out of the lighting game for a few years and have no idea what the current wisdom is on this topic.

Recommend me a good, affordable headlight for a vehicle that sees primarily street and highway use. I just want to see better, I don't need to melt steel with 'em.

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I broke a headlight on my 2002 Double Cab and figure that now would be a good time to upgrade to something better than stock. I've been out of the lighting game for a few years and have no idea what the current wisdom is on this topic.

Recommend me a good, affordable headlight for a vehicle that sees primarily street and highway use. I just want to see better, I don't need to melt steel with 'em.

Thanks!
I too need headlights. Been thinking about going with some LEDs.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
These are the projectors, harness, hid bulbs, & ballasts that I used on my retrofit swap for my 2000 4Runner.

Nilight 2.5" Mini HID Bixenon Projector Lens for H1 Bulb Car Gift:chrome Shround https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B21R0TA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2DzCybNAM19BJ

Innovited AC 35W HID Xenon Conversion Kit - H1 - 6000K - 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KJ8JIM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SGzCybF64T13C

HID-Warehouse Bi-Xenon HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo Bi-Xenon Controller Relay Harness Wire Control 12V 35W/55W Light Lamp Controller 130279 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGPB9DQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_qHzCybT80C42H

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hit a deer last year and had to replace. I went with the cheap'o headlights off of ebay. They are around 40 per light and I was skeptical at first but they fit and work great. New clear plastic OEM replacements should give you more than enough light.

If you are looking for more light wire up some cheap LED's or Hella roundies. If you have a deer wacker your options are almost unlimited.

Most people make the mistake of wanting to mount them high, go as low as you can for optimal sub-par weather conditions. Here in Utah we drive allot in the snow and any light above your current headlight will only blind you more.

Last time i researched the HID conversion thing the hi-low options were nihl.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,210 Posts
I hit a deer last year and had to replace. I went with the cheap'o headlights off of ebay. They are around 40 per light and I was skeptical at first but they fit and work great. New clear plastic OEM replacements should give you more than enough light.

If you are looking for more light wire up some cheap LED's or Hella roundies. If you have a deer wacker your options are almost unlimited.

Most people make the mistake of wanting to mount them high, go as low as you can for optimal sub-par weather conditions. Here in Utah we drive allot in the snow and any light above your current headlight will only blind you more.

Last time i researched the HID conversion thing the hi-low options were nihl.
X2. Got mine on amazon and brighter just because there is no haze.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291551787999

I've had these for a couple years now. My stock housings had a haze to them and some of the mounting tabs had been glued on by the previous owner, the output is much better than what I was working with.
How well do those fit, being 1 piece and all? What all comes with them? I'm not sure based on the seller description, but it seems just corners are needed, no?

·
Registered
67 Posts
How well do those fit, being 1 piece and all? What all comes with them? I'm not sure based on the seller description, but it seems just corners are needed, no?
They fit fine.... they come with L&R one piece housing and a L&R mounting bracket and zero instructions.

After you remove your grill, side marker housing, and headlight housing you put the mounting bracket in place(uses factory hardware) you put your bulbs(headlight and marker) in the new headlight and it mounts by 3 threaded studs with nuts and washers. Then your grill goes back on.... the housing replaces the headlight and marker.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Osram 85/80 "offroad use only" bulbs (H4). $40 for both.

These brought my weak ass headlights up to par with everything else on the road. Other cars were literally casting a shadow in front of me.

I did not add a relay kit. I did this same swap on my motorcycle, WITH a relay kit, and got a ~2V increase at the bulb, but the brighter bulb alone made a bigger difference than the relay alone. Obviously both will be brighter. But I'm lazy. It's been on the bike for about 5 years now and still going strong.

·
Registered
717 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291551787999

I've had these for a couple years now. My stock housings had a haze to them and some of the mounting tabs had been glued on by the previous owner, the output is much better than what I was working with.
Do you have any pics of these installed? I am looking to upgrade my truck to HIDs and will be replacing the housings (its just time) but also want to change the look a little too.

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
X2. Got mine on amazon and brighter just because there is no haze.
I too went with OEM replacements simply to get rid of the haze. I got these and although they fit, they fit like crap. To get them adjusted low enough, I ran the adjustment screw nearly all the way out (or in depending how you look at it). Because of that, the headlight was horrendously misaligned with the corner marker. I ended up turning the ball mount on the top of the housing out 2 full turns and backfilling the space with epoxy so that I could turn the adjustment screw back in and make up some of the gap.

It's now way better but still sucks. Hindsight, I wish I got the headlight/ corner combo as mentioned above so that the fit between the two would always be perfect.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
back to the headlight thing...much, much info in the archives that were killed by the hack...

some basic info: forget going with the aftermarket HID bulb kits as they will simply blind everything in front of you and will get you tickets in many states. The OE housings simply are not designed for that type of light, period.

If you do want HIDs, the only way to go is with projectors, period...but, the good ones are pricey and install is tricky.

As for the 80/85 bulbs...been there, done that.
reasons for not: you wind up having to aim them down so far that you lose all gains the brighter bulbs give you. If you don't aim them down you blind oncoming traffic, period.
Without an aftermarket harness that is designed for the higher wattage bulbs you will eventually melt the plug ends...

Best advice? stick with the "Crystal" type replacements you can get online and use OE bulbs or equivalent wattage bulbs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
some basic info: forget going with the aftermarket HID bulb kits as they will simply blind everything in front of you and will get you tickets in many states. The OE housings simply are not designed for that type of light, period.

If you do want HIDs, the only way to go is with projectors, period...but, the good ones are pricey and install is tricky.
It doesn't matter the vehicle, if you are converting to HIDs, you ALWAYS need projectors. If not, you are a POS and deserve a very slow, painful death.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,210 Posts
It doesn't matter the vehicle, if you are converting to HIDs, you ALWAYS need projectors. If not, you are a POS and deserve a very slow, painful death.
Going to play devils advocate here. While i do agree hids in a reflector housing is asking for trouble, a hid kit in a halogen projector actually works quite well. My halogen projector foglights have a hid kit in them and they actually work very well with zero glare. They actually put out less glare than my stock headlights.

Just picked up a gx470 and those have halogen projectors. From what ive seen, they also take a hid bulb well.

Will is be as perfect as a true hid projector? No, but you're not going to be blinding traffic and youll be much brighter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Going to play devils advocate here. While i do agree hids in a reflector housing is asking for trouble, a hid kit in a halogen projector actually works quite well. My halogen projector foglights have a hid kit in them and they actually work very well with zero glare. They actually put out less glare than my stock headlights.

Just picked up a gx470 and those have halogen projectors. From what ive seen, they also take a hid bulb well.

Will is be as perfect as a true hid projector? No, but you're not going to be blinding traffic and youll be much brighter.
Well, any projector is better than none, though I've never heard of using an HID in a halogen projector.

I remember the first gen tacos looking like ass with projectors in them, however these guys' doesn't look too god awful, however I'm running a black grille and black headlight trim

Tacoma HID retrofit complete!! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
http://www.ttora.com/forum/8-interior-electrical-electronics/168362-how-install-pnp-projectors.html

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Well, any projector is better than none, though I've never heard of using an HID in a halogen projector.

I remember the first gen tacos looking like ass with projectors in them, however these guys' doesn't look too god awful, however I'm running a black grille and black headlight trim

Tacoma HID retrofit complete!! - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
http://www.ttora.com/forum/8-interior-electrical-electronics/168362-how-install-pnp-projectors.html
there have been several writeups for early Taco projector retros. There was a company that make full housings for a while but they died, what, 5yrs back?
HID forum has a lot of good info on this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
there have been several writeups for early Taco projector retros. There was a company that make full housings for a while but they died, what, 5yrs back?
HID forum has a lot of good info on this.
Thanks for the info. I need to do this sooner or later; I may wait to see if I can get my frame warrantied (early 2018) before I dump some more cash into it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, but here is what I did about two weeks ago:

I bought CAPA certified headlight housings, a HID projector retrofit kit, and all the misc wiring bits to get the job done for about $170 off Amazon.

It was pretty easy to install, the lowbeam light output is significantly more than my hazy stock housings with sylvania bulbs, the highbeam output is more also, but the difference isn't as ridiculous as the lowbeams were. Despite the increase in light output, the glare is less with the HID projector lowbeams when approaching my truck with my GF's car, however the visible range with the lowbeams is similar to the sylvania halogen setup I had been running, due to having the headlights aimed fairly low.

HID retrofits are legal in my state as long as the bulb color is within 1000k of stock color, depending on your state, an HID retrofit may not be legal.

Check out my build thread for some related pics.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts