TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 tacoma stock off the lot. lowest price model tacoma.
2400 c.c. auto, air.regular cab short bed 5 lug wheels.no mods no TRD 2 wd.
door sticker GVWR 4250 lbs.
GAWR front 2200 lbs.
GAWR rear 2400 lbs.

i want to use this truck for heavy loads.
around 500 lbs. in the bed.
lumber rack above the cab to carry steel around another 500 lbs.

i am not sure of the actual weight of my truck unloaded.

with 500 lbs in the bed just fine....

IF i put 500 lbs. in the cabover rack & 500 lbs in the bed.

the truck is unstable.
hits bump stops and LOTS of rocking side to side......

what shocks ,spriings, air shocks ,sway bar, should i use.

with mods. how much weight can my truck carry......tks

·
Registered
27 Posts
id get some ome goodies and yes ur truck should easily be able to handle the weight unless ur driving like andretti with a buncha stuff on the rack.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
rka32007 said:
2002 tacoma stock off the lot. lowest price model tacoma.
2400 c.c. auto, air.regular cab short bed 5 lug wheels.no mods no TRD 2 wd.
door sticker GVWR 4250 lbs.
GAWR front 2200 lbs.
GAWR rear 2400 lbs.

i want to use this truck for heavy loads.
around 500 lbs. in the bed.
lumber rack above the cab to carry steel around another 500 lbs.

i am not sure of the actual weight of my truck unloaded.

with 500 lbs in the bed just fine....

IF i put 500 lbs. in the cabover rack & 500 lbs in the bed.

the truck is unstable.
hits bump stops and LOTS of rocking side to side......

what shocks ,spriings, air shocks ,sway bar, should i use.

with mods. how much weight can my truck carry......tks

Sooooo, give up on the camper? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No Way

i just thought i would go to the supension questions.
well in san diego county 15 miles from the border.

daily i see mini trucks with lumber racks on them.
all type of construction material loaded on them.......the lumber racks.
just wanted to repost this question...
to see if anyone of the members had a reply. tks

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used these until I destroyed the original springs and now I'm upgrading:
http://www.supersprings.com/
They are really expensive now-a-days, I bought these back in 2002 and they were actually cheaper. Another company that makes helpers is
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/
They are cheaper in price...
The helpers really helped on the farm that I work at. The body wouldn't bounce back-n-forth as much when hitting things in the fields. But now, 5 years later, my original springs are shot so the helpers aren't helping that much but I bet I would of never gotten 5 years out of the springs without the helpers.
Just something to think about...but like I said, I'm now upgrading my rear suspension with Wheeler HD springs. So the helpers are a mid-term fix or if they actually still fit after I upgrade I'll put them on again.

·
Registered
551 Posts
i just may be wrong here, but i don;t think your truck is meant to carry 1000lbs. at any given point. if you really want to carry that much, i would call Alcan and get some special ordered leafs to handle your weight. Even with my Alcans, which are pretty damn stiff for a aftermarket spring, 400lbs. makes for a cushy ride. I would sel it and by a 3/4 ton to handle consistent loads of 1k lbs. and over. but seriously get a new pair of leafs and shocks. your handling with any weight will improve immensely. 8-9 leaf Alcans will run you $550 and new shocks will be around $175. Well worth it for you application.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Portman said:
i just may be wrong here, but i don;t think your truck is meant to carry 1000lbs. at any given point. if you really want to carry that much, i would call Alcan and get some special ordered leafs to handle your weight. Even with my Alcans, which are pretty damn stiff for a aftermarket spring, 400lbs. makes for a cushy ride. I would sel it and by a 3/4 ton to handle consistent loads of 1k lbs. and over. but seriously get a new pair of leafs and shocks. your handling with any weight will improve immensely. 8-9 leaf Alcans will run you $550 and new shocks will be around $175. Well worth it for you application.
the other problem will be with his front suspension not being beefy enough to handle the extra weight. you can beef up the rear all sorts of ways but the truck will be a death-trap w/o equally beefing up the front. With it being a mini I have no idea if there is even anything on the market, front spring and shock wise, to even buy.
and then, what about brakes??

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
pray4surf said:
Until recently*, I had a lumber rack (but never overloaded with materials). I did go with the SAW 2.5 coilovers and the Wheeler 5 leaf replacement with Bilstein shocks. Really pleased and still felt 'firm' on the road. As for brakes, I've gotten the needed parts to install the Tundra 199mm front disks. These will be installed this or next weekend.

* rack currently removed for to modify for baja camping/surfing trips - quite a difference in gas mileage and accel/deccel. This is my 98 with 2.7 motor / auto tranny.
you don't have a mini like he does...big difference.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The weight on my truck is way over stock. In addition to all that weight I've loaded it with drywall and lumber and a lot of other material. My truck drives fine with all the weight, but I definitely take it easy behind the wheel. If you beef up your suspension, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
cell4soul said:
The weight on my truck is way over stock. In addition to all that weight I've loaded it with drywall and lumber and a lot of other material. My truck drives fine with all the weight, but I definitely take it easy behind the wheel. If you beef up your suspension, you shouldn't have any problems.
again....this guy has a mini truck, not a prerunner/4x4...a completely different animal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts