TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can’t say I have but those bald tires aren’t saving lives either. There are torque specs on these bolts that many do not do. Obviously over torqued and undertorqued and there’s only 4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can’t say I have but those bald tires aren’t saving lives either. There are torque specs on these bolts that many do not do. Obviously over torqued and undertorqued and there’s only 4.
Probably right. The engineers didn't lazy proof this critical component. It seems the tensile strength of the bolts is too low to withstand mechanics and home mechanics from strong arming and overrunning. I usually ballpark it with my arm. Also a friend helped out and I think he under tightened it leading to 2 bolts falling out over time. I'm tight on money for the tires.

When fixing, I reused a bolt with torquing to spec. Seems like the bolt was stretching and about to break. Time for new bolts.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,586 Posts
The factory ball joints come with new bolts. Those bolts have always been an issue mostly due to improper torque spec. 59 ft-lbs is the torque spec if I remember right. Add blue loctite always. Outside of that, the failure of those bolts happens, but almost always has a supporting cause for the failure. We've never seen new bolts properly installed fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The factory ball joints come with new bolts. Those bolts have always been an issue mostly due to improper torque spec. 59 ft-lbs is the torque spec if I remember right. Add blue loctite always. Outside of that, the failure of those bolts happens, but almost always has a supporting cause for the failure. We've never seen new bolts properly installed fail.
That's a good memory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a good memory.
Mine were changed on my '02 at 43K miles by the dealership for a ball joint recall - sorry I don't remember the details as to why there was a recall.

Nevertheless, if you choose to use Loctite (or bolts that have some left over oil/solvent etc. on them), remember to reduce the torgue by 20% else you will have overtightened them...

google this (sans quotes) for more info: "torque specs +locktite"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine were changed on my '02 at 43K miles by the dealership for a ball joint recall - sorry I don't remember the details as to why there was a recall.

Nevertheless, if you choose to use Loctite (or bolts that have some left over oil/solvent etc. on them), remember to reduce the torgue by 20% else you will have overtightened them...

google this (sans quotes) for more info: "torque specs +locktite"

Someone says use same torque with locktite

Less with lube

·
Registered
71 Posts
Friction coefficient is the term. Any lube or liquid used on threaded things that are torqued should have it listed somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad it happened in your driveway and no one was hurt, including other truck parts. I've got some 20 year old tires on 2001 tacoma wheels I would trust more that those. I like to use the 2 clicks of my elbow on most bolts, but smaller bolts and nuts on suspension parts deserve a real torque wrench. I'm sure you'll get it back on the road if you haven't already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts