TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no stranger to LT trucks, but this is my first Toyota.

Since the truck is pretty built as is, I guess this isn't much of a build thread. I'll be documenting the last little fab work the truck needs as well as using it, questions, and whatever else. Here's how the truck sits:

2003 Tacoma double cab. Power windows, locks and keyless entry.
3.4 v6 w/ 55k original miles. Auto trans, 4x4 capable
Tundra rear axle (needs gears)
Fully caged front to rear
ESB lower arm and modified stock spindle w/ custom upper
Deaver F67 leafs
King race series c/o and bypass in front, bypass in rear
32 gallon cell
Fiberwerx dash
CBR Radiator
CNC brake pedal and masters set up for left foot braking

Shit to do:
Patch holes in the cab and finish small cab cage details
Sound deaden the fucking shit out of it
Residual valves on the brakes and maybe hydroboost
Put in as much of the stock interior as possible (including dash)
Add stock A/C
Buy front drivetrain parts and figure out what's needed to make it all work together
Extended front axles
TRD Supercharger and URD 7th injector
Bumpers
Gears and locker
Paint

The fabled ESB kit. I need to figure out a fully fabricated spindle that will work with the 4x4.

I've got a single spare tire I need to mount back here, a bumper to build, and a 30" Rigid race light to mount. Thinking about getting an FOA jack instead of a floor jack too. Battery and battery switch are sitting right behind the cab in that big open space, will probably move it to the outside of the frame and put the cell up there w/ shocks outside the axle. Current cell location will be turned in to storage

Got some little amber LEDs that I am gonna use as turn signals.

The lens on them isn't flat so it'll hopefully diffuse the light but still be visible with the headlights on

Epic truck needs epic off-roading in Holy Jim's

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All done painting the bedcage. The cell is like 3/4 full so once it's mostly empty I'll drop it again to paint the cradle and straps.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Is there a reason youre trying to go to hydro boost? The biggest concern i have with all the hydro boost setups is that if you lose power steering you also lose brakes.....the two things you need the most, and if you lose one hopefully you have the other. Power steering is easy to lose if you lose a belt, pump takes a shit, rack bust open and loses fluid, etc.

I know with a vacuum assist you will lose brakes+steering if the engine dies, but cmon, its a yota. That will be very rare. Id say stick with an air assist mc if you can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a reason youre trying to go to hydro boost? The biggest concern i have with all the hydro boost setups is that if you lose power steering you also lose brakes.....the two things you need the most, and if you lose one hopefully you have the other. Power steering is easy to lose if you lose a belt, pump takes a shit, rack bust open and loses fluid, etc.

I know with a vacuum assist you will lose brakes+steering if the engine dies, but cmon, its a yota. That will be very rare. Id say stick with an air assist mc if you can.
I said that at first because I wasn't use to full manual brakes. I think with the Tundra front brake upgrade and residual valves it will help a lot. I'm getting used to full manual now. I'll look in to air assist, thanks for the suggestion. After seeing a few tacoma racks break recently I definitely don't wanna lose my brakes either.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have to agree with the Hydroboost issues, my F250 has that system and I lost them both at the same time going around a corner and almost crashed into another vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friday the 13th of last month had it's fun with me.

Met up with my coworker in his Raptor around 8AM and then sat in fucking traffic in Corona for an hour. Plus the 91 to 15 ramp was closed. Fuck the 91 and Corona.

Hit outlet center drive, took dirt in to the Flying J to get some gas. Took dirt back, and he wanted to go do some mountain climbing with his fancy 4x4. Photo op on a power line road, need pics in the dirt as proof.

Then literally 2 minutes later I'm just blasting down the same road. Don't feel a rock, or hear any suspension noise. Just air escaping.

With no spare on board (fuck me, right?) and being in the middle of nowhere with a trash tire, the logical decision was to drive to Slash X and wait for my spare to arrive.

The rim doesn't look damaged, which is a bonus. Only did 15-20 mph which sucked. Drove through this sweet whooped out mega wide trail that I jammed through in my black ranger following Minty on that truck's only trip out under my ownership. Not the business.

Off roaded after lunch in the Raptor. No pics. Then my spare showed up. Was supposed to have a jack, tire, and tools. The tire and the jack made it, but the tools got pulled from my box and left on the garage floor. Quick trip in to wonderful downtown Barstow's Home Depot got me a socket and breaker bar.

Good to go! Had to check out the Memorial while I was there and pay respect.

Overall, BFG Mud Terrains suck. They're the only tire I've ever had flats with. But when all 4 tires have air in them the truck is dialed. It needs some shock tuning all around and bump stops up front for now. Definitely a good purchase and I'm glad Willis was dumb enough to sell it.

This past week:
Started laying down some of that U Seal or Peel n Seal, whatever it is from Lowes. The seams got Seam Sealer on them and then Flex Seal over that. I plan to do some Second Skin over this, and a heat shield material on the roof. Already a big improvement.

Also started wiring up the rear LED bar. I still need to tap into the parking lights, and make a harness for the dust lights. But it currently has the work light, and brake lights hooked up to the brake switch.

Next week I'm hopping to pick up some rims too. Was supposed to grab 4 35's this week, but the guy sold them out from under me. If anyone knows of decent 35's for 17's, let me know.

I also decided to do the front brake pads today since they started squeaking. While he wheel was off, I did some rust removal and WD40 application. The driver's side went just fine, but when I did the passenger side the caliper fucking exploded. Makes perfect fucking sense, once you buy new parts and try to make the truck look good, it breaks itself. Ordered parts for a Tundra brake upgrade off Rockauto, $350 shipped for rotors, pads, and remanufactured calipers already painted red.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bumpers and spare carrier built. My tires should have shown up last week and I can't get my phone calls returned, really bumming me out.

Bought a Detroit locker as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
doyouquaxu
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing