TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Bearded Red Viking
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2004 TRD Prerunner to 4x4 (Using Inchworm)

Here's what I am trying to accomplish here...

2004 TRD Prerunner to 4x4 using-

Inchworm Prerunner adapter
Marlin RED Lefty t-case
Trail Gear Twin Stick
OEM Manual Hubs (off a '99 Tacoma)-DONE
OEM Manual front diff w/ 4:88 gears-DONE
Regear TRD rear diff w/4:88 gears-DONE
A1 Cardone CV axles (& a set of OEM spare CV's)-DONE
OEM Toyota 4x4 shifter console
OEM Toyota 4x4 shifter floor plate w/rubber boots
4xInnovations HD Toyota t-case mount
Redo my Prerunner rear driveshaft (needs to be 24 1/4" long)
Redo my stock 4x4 front driveshaft (needs to be lengthened to ??)
Manual Hubs pressed into my Prerunner spindles (to keep ABS)-DONE
1" Diff Drop Kit-DONE

I have already setup my suspension/body lift to aid me for the off road trips. Here's a run down of what has been done...

Front
Donahoe Billet UCA's
Donahoe 2.5 Coilovers (**possibly doing resi setup in the future**)
SAW 750 lb x 14" springs
Timbren Bumpstops

Rear
ICON Rear Resi Shocks
Alcan leaf pack w/3.5" lift
Timbren Bumpstops
Greasable Rear shackles
U-Bolt Flip Kit

Body
Roger Brown 1" lift w/ bolt kit

Other TTORA Member's who converted to 4x4
HillBilly_Young01 DoubleCab Tacoma (Used stock 4x4 tranny & t-case)
Tacoma4Life DoubleCab Auto (to Manual Swap too / Used stock parts)
Snorkie DoubleCab Tacoma (Changed output shaft in tranny)
SAR_Squid79 ExtraCab Tacoma (Inchworm lefty w/ prerunner adapter)
Interex ExtraCab Tacoma (Stock 4x4 tranny & t-case swap)
iceman601 3rd Gen 4Runner (Using Tacoma tranny & t-case)
SafetyDang DoubleCab Auto (to Manual Swap too / gathering 4x4 parts)
Pray4Surf ExtraCab Tacoma (Used stock tranny & t-case) *no thread*

*Note that the above has opted for Manual Hubs during their swap*

Additional Info
Info from SarSquid about driveshaft lengths
Manual Hub Repair Diagram

Install Info
Here's how I am working the install...

DAY 1- Installing the whole front end setup (i.e.-Hubs, CV's and front diff)-DONE

DAY 2- Installing the drivetrain setup (i.e.-Inchworm adapter, Lefty, interior pieces and shortened rear driveshaft)

Day 3- Have the front driveshaft lengthened as needed

**these days won't be "back to back" due to DD my Taco**

·
1,112 Posts
1. Make sure the front diff has the same gear ratio as the rear.
2. Pressing 4wd hubs into prerunner spindles - I have asked on here and all the responses were no. I dont see why it wouldnt work, I guess I will find out when I take them apart.
3. Driveshaft- my whole setup is from a 90's Tacoma 4cyl extcab. The rear driveshaft that came with it did not work it was 28" and I needed a 30" (center section)

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
1) Can someone tell me what year transfer cases I can use with my truck (2004, TRD (e-lock rear), Automatic, xtra cab, SR5 (power everything), 3.4 V6, 3" lift)
2) Can i press OEM Toyota manual hubs into my prerunner spindles?
3) What front diff's can I use (year and models)?
4) What driveshafts can I use (year and models)?
1) you cant just use the trasnfercase if your wanting to keep it all stock, you have to find a 4x4 transmission as well..... out put shafts are completly different between the 2 transmissions. as far as years, any tacoma transmission/transfercase out of a v6 4x4 will work for the most part.

2) like said before i asked the question before as well..... i think you can but only add.... its alot easier to just go manual hub (non add) for your front end.

3) you can use any front diff's from a tacoma just make sure the gear ratio matches your rear, your drive train will bind up when you put it in 4wd and cause your transfercase and everything else break..... im using a front end off of a 98 4 cyl. tacoma on my 2002 v6 that i had re-geared to 4.56 to match my rear :D

4) your stock prerunner shaft needs to be shortend by about 12" or you can find just the front portion of a 4x4 shaft out of an extender cab or double cab... a drive shaft out of a single cab will not work for you application. its only the front portion that needs t be replaced so like i said before you can take yours to a drive shaft shop and have them take 12" out of it or you can find a good deal on a used 4x4 one.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
  1. I'm hoping to get parts that have roughly the same mileage on my truck (@ 60K)
Thanks,
Boz
I have a complete front diff with stock 4.10 gears that I removed from my 04 truck at under 60K(my truck currently has 60k so I'll look at my maintenance papers to see when exactly I removed it). I was keeping as my spare after I regeared to 4.88s but have not gotten around to regearing it yet so it is not a good spare for me right now. Shipping may be a bit too much, but PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
227 Posts
you can use your transmission, just have to tear into it and swap the output shafts. someone did it recently that I ran across sometime in the last month. I'm sure it'll show up with a fair bit of searching.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hope I'm not hijacking too bad here but I've got a few 4x4 conversion questions aswell. I will be purchasing a 4Runner here in the very near future. Now this will be a grocery getter for the wife and not so much a camping vehicle. Now my truck is 2wd as I made the decision when I bought it that I didn't need it. Now that I'm in a position to buy another vehicle I had the idea of buying a 4wd 4runner and swapping over the 4wd system with my truck, so basically the 4runner would get all the stuff taken off and get my transmission. How smoothely would this project go because I will basically be doing 2 conversions. One is converting a 4wd 4runner to 2wd and converting a 2wd Tacoma to 4wd. Alot of planning will have to go into this (Like making sure I have correct length rear drive shafts, etc) but since the 4runner and Taco are so similar I figure everything should swap over. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
351 Posts
if they are both a/t or m/t then you just have to take out the transmission and transfercase, and front parts from the driveshaft forward to diff/knuckles/vacuum tank in dr wheel well, vsv's on driver inner fender, axles and knuckles. 4runners mostly have abs and most tacomas don't so it'll depend on the truck if your 2wd tacoma knuckles will have the abs sensor holes to put back into the 4runner.

rear driveshafts are totally different, so you'll need a 2wd driveshaft for the 4runner and the 4wd front section for the rear shaft on the tacoma.

then there is wiring for the engine/trans harness, will be different but depending on years may be able to swap over the whole harness and plug it into your existing ecu. will also need transmission ecu for the 4wd for the tacoma, i believe it is different than the 4runner, goes in the pass kickpanel whereas the 4runner one is in the driver kickpanel. also changing the the whole engine harness requires removing the intake so you can undo the connectors to the fuel injectors and bolts holding the harness down.

there are ways around most of this to make it possibly easier and less swapping but more confusing when you start making your own harneses for the tranny/tcase and vsv's and the trans relay/computer.

very doable project, but will need more stuff than you probably think right now. NOT just an unbolt and swap

--my background is that i did a 4cyl prerunner 99 taco, to v6 4x4, had to weld new engine mounts, new trans crossmember(which you won't need if they are both v6's) i bought the whole smashed 4x4 and swapped everything, fromt he ecu, body harness all inside the truck, and everything under the truck and engine bay to get it all workin! it's mint now but 3 weeks out in hte rain doing it, i too though, oh this will take a weekend......

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hope I'm not hijacking too bad here but I've got a few 4x4 conversion questions aswell. I will be purchasing a 4Runner here in the very near future. Now this will be a grocery getter for the wife and not so much a camping vehicle. Now my truck is 2wd as I made the decision when I bought it that I didn't need it. Now that I'm in a position to buy another vehicle I had the idea of buying a 4wd 4runner and swapping over the 4wd system with my truck, so basically the 4runner would get all the stuff taken off and get my transmission. How smoothely would this project go because I will basically be doing 2 conversions. One is converting a 4wd 4runner to 2wd and converting a 2wd Tacoma to 4wd. Alot of planning will have to go into this (Like making sure I have correct length rear drive shafts, etc) but since the 4runner and Taco are so similar I figure everything should swap over. Any thoughts?
It will be an excellent chance to live up to your name Mgyver ;)

Should be doable, but you will encounter certain aspects that might not have ready answers for...

Does the 4Runner have ABS? If so, the speedo on the 4Runner comes from signals generated in the ABS system, not the VSS speed sensor on the tcase as found on 4x4 Tacos. Do both trucks have the same engine? If not, you could run into issues like I did with (believe it or not) the transmission dipstick. But 95% of the swap will go smoothly, the other 5% will cause your hair to turn white and fall out.. LOL

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yo boz, if i can find a tranny and T-case and my rear shaft portion then we can do ours at the same time and you buy the beer i'll buy the food :)

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Are you back in Magnolia? When is the WAT? Don't plan for the 12th b/c that is the W4W in Pasadena. We can knock it out in a weekend if everything goes well. :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hey thank you boz, I emailed that guy, sure am having a real tough time getting these few parts found a guy up in NC that has one for like 450 comes with the tranny Tcase and a rear shaft sadly its a 11 hour drive one way to get to him......I get out the 17 of december and if you wanna start doing some of the work on yours then why not,

Can we instal the front drivetrain without our trannies?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts