TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second time I have changed my oil in my 2004 Tacoma Ext Cab PreRunner with the 6 cyl engine w/auto trans. Any way to stop the oil from flowing down the egine and onto the brush guard when I remove the filter? Looks like an unusual design flaw not characteristic with Toyota. Oil sits on the guard in spots that can't be wiped and then continues to drip on the garage floor for days? Never had this problem with my 2000 PreRunner with the 4 cyl. Any thoughts?

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Get a large ziploc bag and put around the fliter when you are about to take it off. This will catch the drippingsonce you break the seal and once it is off you can zip it up neatly. The amount of oil the filter retains is atribut to good anti drainback valves.

It's not a design flaw, it is a desigh that allows a larger sump, with the oil filet out of the way. Just think, Nissans run close to the same displacement with 2 qts less oil. What would you rather have?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had some of those anoying problems with my '01 tundra that I just traeded 2 weeks ago for a new d-cab tacoma. The oil from the filter would drain into the skidplate. I cut the top half off of a 1/2 gal milk jug and drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom corner of the filter, and let it drain for about 10 min. before doing anything else. Made my life much easier. Now, every time I pop the hood in my tacoma, I kiss the oil filter. It's right there on top!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts