TTORA Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I am not making a duplicate thread...

My plan is to use All Pro's Dana 60 Hybrid Axle.
I assume using coilover suspension is better than leafs so I will go with their kit which I believe is a 6" suspension lift. I will need a steering kit as well. I heard I may need dual transfer cases and that I may lose a cupholder (which I am ok with LOL, can't be that bad?) I plan on ARB lockers for sure in the front. I am going to keep my rear axle plus TRD locker until I have money for a Dana 60 in the rear with an ARB as well. I will have to regear both the front and back and hopefully I can reuse the rear gears when I put in my rear Dana 60. I also have been told I would have to get new wheels so that means I will get 15x10's with 35" tires to start with and then get 37" later since both will work with the 6" lift.

Here is the dilemna I am facing: I cannot find anyone else who is doing the same setup as me or has done it. The other problem I am facing is cost. Shops want anywhere from $6000-8000 for labor just for the front and 3 weeks to work on it.

Can anyone who is knowledgable and has time outline for me exactly the parts I will need and what they all mean. I am not a mechanic and I would like to know what each part does. I would also like to know if I am being charged too much or what!

Hope to see you all Sac fans at Bentup tomorrow! AJ should be able to help answer some of my questions if he is not busy.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
What?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did I confuse you?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
What?

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :doh: :aahg: :google: :google:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok let me make it a little less confusing:

I want to do a SAS or Solid Axle Swap on my 2004 Tacoma.

1. My plan is to use All Pro's (www.allprooffroad.com) Dana 60 Hybrid Axle.

2. I assume using coilover suspension is better than leafs so I will go with their kit which I believe is a 6" suspension lift.

3. I will need a steering kit as well.

4. I heard I may need dual transfer cases and that I may lose a cupholder (which I am ok with LOL, can't be that bad?)

5. I plan on ARB lockers for sure in the front. I am going to keep my rear axle plus TRD locker until I have money for a Dana 60 in the rear with an ARB as well.

6. I will have to regear both the front and back and hopefully I can reuse the rear gears when I put in my rear Dana 60. I also have been told I would have to get new wheels so that means I will get 15x10's with 35" tires to start with and then get 37" tires later since both will work with the 6" lift 15x10 wheels.

Here is the dilemna I am facing: I cannot find anyone else who is doing the same setup as me or has done it. The other problem I am facing is cost. Shops want anywhere from $6000-8000 for labor just for the front and 3 weeks to work on it. Total price quote they gave me is $18,000.

Is this price about right? Does anyone know of good shops where I can go to?
If you can provide any direction as to what parts I could be missing, etc... That would be helpful.

I have already used Google, but I am trying to get information from forums as well...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
hopefully I can reuse the rear gears when I put in my rear Dana 60. I also have been told I would have to get new wheels...

Yea should be no problem using toyota gears in a dana 60.

Take pics when you do :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
the allpro sas kit is not a 6" lift. it is an adjustable suspension system. not a lift. you can get everything from allpro although if you shop you can find things cheaper/better. do alot of searching. an sas is not something to jump into. read/read and when your blue in the face, take a breath because your becoming cyonotic. then read some more. after deciding what type of wheeling your going to do and what you want to be able to do, at that point then start bying shit. the allpro hybrid d60 looks like a fucking sweet setup. although pricey it is cool and strong.

let me know how the gears do in your new rear d60. . .

most people go with a rear 14 bolt although i haven't read why. availability/strength/price???

i can't recomend a shop as i live on the east coast and don't trust most people. and if you can't find something from reading, then post a question, you will be way more likely to get answers.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Hope to see you all Sac fans at Bentup tomorrow! AJ should be able to help answer some of my questions if he is not busy.
Shop IS busy.... working on MY truck! :D

A.J. has plenty of um.. information about the All-Pro 'kit'...

Stop by... should be fun to watch another IFS drop to the ground... :eek:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Shop IS busy.... working on MY truck! :D

A.J. has plenty of um.. information about the All-Pro 'kit'...

Stop by... should be fun to watch another IFS drop to the ground... :eek:
What? ;) ...

...you having done at Bentup this weekend Mark?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
To me, it sounds like your looking for a Toyota AEV type of vehicle. If it were me in your shoes, based on your posts, I would contact AJ or think about approaching AP for an install.

A 6 month wait, and having your truck out of comission for a month should tell you something about the business. It doesn't gaurentee quality work, but the odds are in your favor. It says that the fabricator has done several thus more than likely knows what he or she is doing AND more importantly that they have many satisfied customers that have spread the word. Thus, people are flocking from all over the country to have it done right. My bet is this kind of a fabricator stands behind his or her work and will bend over backwards to try and ensure your satisfaction.

This is my two cents on how I would approach this as I undestand your POV.

Wally

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
To me, it sounds like your looking for a Toyota AEV type of vehicle. If it were me in your shoes, based on your posts, I would contact AJ or think about approaching AP for an install.

A 6 month wait, and having your truck out of comission for a month should tell you something about the business. It doesn't gaurentee quality work, but the odds are in your favor. It says that the fabricator has done several thus more than likely knows what he or she is doing AND more importantly that they have many satisfied customers that have spread the word. Thus, people are flocking from all over the country to have it done right. My bet is this kind of a fabricator stands behind his or her work and will bend over backwards to try and ensure your satisfaction.

This is my two cents on how I would approach this as I undestand your POV.

Wally
Thats bullshit. At $6-8000 that guy is either a retard, a thief or both.

But fuck, I don't know if I blame him- Thats the new ethics question: Guy walks up to you and says I want to spend 5 grand on an axle for the front of my truck and reuse my rear gears in a D60, how much would you charge me to do it... what do you do?
a) Shoot him in the face.
b) Take him for all that he's worth
c) Turn the shop into slow school for the afternoon to explain why this is so ridiculous?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Why do you assume that coils are better than leafs? Unless higher price always equals better setup. No you cant run toyota gears in a D60. No you dont need double cases. I'll tell you what, if you pay to ship your truck to NJ I will fab you a D60 3 link front, with dual cases installed and ready to drive for 17K. But if you cant swing it you should do what we all have done. That would be to spend the next 3 months searching, reading, taking notes, and making lists. Then you can decide what parts you need and how much it should cost.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I try to treat people as if they are teachable until its obvious otherwise.

Of course it doesn't hurt to read a little bit and get a feel for what you might expect. :rolleyes:

I believe the right thing to do is to give realistic expectations in regards to performance and reliability, maintenance issues, and ballpark cost.

Get beligerant and disrespectful with those that have already "been there and done that, got the t-shirt", these folks are on their own.

Wally

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I only got a Marlin T-shirt... sure do wish I had an Inchworm and a Diamond one to match... maybe a new hooded sweatshirt; Brian, Jim? ;)

Maybe TG and AP will send me one too- I sure could use some new shop rags.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Funny, I got an Inchworm, but no Marlin. You'd think that the advertisement value would be greater than the cost of the shirt. I get all kinds of comments about my IW T-shirt, usually from girls, so I suspect they are more curious about the potential sexual conotation of the name rather than the product. The only thing that saves me is the picture of the truck. LOL

·
Registered
933 Posts
They say with multiple choice you can automatically eliminate one answer right off the bat. So is the correct answer A or B? Also does it change depending on what part of the country you live in?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
They say with multiple choice you can automatically eliminate one answer right off the bat. So is the correct answer A or B? Also does it change depending on what part of the country you live in?
:)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Hopefully I am not making a duplicate thread...

My plan is to use All Pro's Dana 60 Hybrid Axle.
I assume using coilover suspension is better than leafs so I will go with their kit which I believe is a 6" suspension lift. I will need a steering kit as well. I heard I may need dual transfer cases and that I may lose a cupholder (which I am ok with LOL, can't be that bad?) I plan on ARB lockers for sure in the front. I am going to keep my rear axle plus TRD locker until I have money for a Dana 60 in the rear with an ARB as well. I will have to regear both the front and back and hopefully I can reuse the rear gears when I put in my rear Dana 60. I also have been told I would have to get new wheels so that means I will get 15x10's with 35" tires to start with and then get 37" later since both will work with the 6" lift.

Here is the dilemna I am facing: I cannot find anyone else who is doing the same setup as me or has done it. The other problem I am facing is cost. Shops want anywhere from $6000-8000 for labor just for the front and 3 weeks to work on it.

Can anyone who is knowledgable and has time outline for me exactly the parts I will need and what they all mean. I am not a mechanic and I would like to know what each part does. I would also like to know if I am being charged too much or what!

sounds like you got it dialed in. you definetly ready for the swap

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.