TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Anyone with a 4cyl tacoma see this before. There is milkshake on my oil cap. I cleaned it 24 hours ago and it's allready starting to come back. I hope i'm wrong but i am thinking head gasket. My mileage has also dropped by 5 mpg and it may not be related but my clutch hydrolics don't seem to like the cold. Any input would be helpfull. Thanks!! It's still on warranty 22k miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do a search. Someone had posted this before, but I can't remember the title of the thread.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I recall that thread was about the 4.0 V-6. I just walked out to the driveway and checked my 06 4cyl w/ 8200 on the clock the oil is still clear with w/ 3200 on this change, no milky substance in the oil fill cap.

Are you losing any coolant? temp gauge running higher than normal?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure about the coolant level. I checked today and will check it monday after my commute. The thread you posted had a picture that looks just like my oil cap did yesterday. As far as oil it is toyota oil. Does that mean synthetic? Thanks again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
lovemytruck said:
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure about the coolant level. I checked today and will check it monday after my commute. The thread you posted had a picture that looks just like my oil cap did yesterday. As far as oil it is toyota oil. Does that mean synthetic? Thanks again.

Probably not synthetic from toyota, I switched to mobil 1 @ 4800 miles, and never really paid any attention to the inside of the cap when before I switched, yours is the first 4cyl I have heard of with this issue.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
lovemytruck said:
agree, that was pretty nasty picture.

not sure if the toyota oil is synt or not. some people are pretty outdated in oil basics knowledge, it's unbelievable.

If synt. oil was dangerous at all, the fed. goverment would have forced companies to retire it from the market years ago.

Unless you find a place in your truck's manual that says: "do not use synt. oil because it will damage the engine"...... ;)

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Mine begins to get this when I've been short-hopping my 3.4l. Never as bad as the photo referenced in the linked post. Running over the passes gets my truck warmed up completely and the stuff burns off.

Something else that I've noticed is that this goo will also show up in that hose that goes from the intake tube to the PCV valve (again, on my 3.4l). I just try to minimize the short trips and consolidate errands, walking to work helps as well (in my case).

·
Registered
533 Posts
lovemytruck said:
Hi all. Anyone with a 4cyl tacoma see this before. There is milkshake on my oil cap. I cleaned it 24 hours ago and it's allready starting to come back. I hope i'm wrong but i am thinking head gasket. My mileage has also dropped by 5 mpg and it may not be related but my clutch hydrolics don't seem to like the cold. Any input would be helpfull. Thanks!! It's still on warranty 22k miles.

Have you been letting your truck sit and idle to warm up? or taking a bunch of short trips? Is the cap screwed right to the aluminum cam cover cover like the older 2.7? or does it screw into a plastic housing like the 4.0? The reason I ask is because on my 01 2.7, the cap will get hot faster than the cap on my 06 4.0 because of the plastic housing that spaces it up off the motor. This is why the goo is worse on the 4.0's. I've also read that an aluminum block creates more condensation.

This happens to many motors not just Toyotas. The goo is water condensation and oil vapor that accumulates under the cap if the motor isn't bieng brought up to full temp and ran long enough. This is an indication that you NEED to go hit the highway for a while and get your oil good and hot so the H2O condensation will evaporate out. If you can't hit the highway very often then you need to change your oil much more frequently especially in the winter.

It takes a lot longer for your oil to get hot than it does your coolant, so even if it looks like your engine is up to temp it can still be pumping cold oil. My 06 4.0 gets the goo under my oil cap if I haven't hit the highways regularly, but dissapears if I drive about 60 miles. If this was a head gasket issue then the symptoms would get worse the longer you drove it not better.

Edit: The clutch on my 06 doesn't like to come back up when it gets really cold. I need to look into putting a heavier return spring on it I guess. Or wait for Toyota to fix this problem..... :rolleyes:

also, the only way synthetic could make the goo problem worse is if it runs cooler longer (probably) or produces more oil vapor (?)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I feel better about this after hearing other people have had the same problem. BTW the 72 dodge van, crager mags? Thanks again

·
Registered
533 Posts
lovemytruck said:
Thanks for the info. I feel better about this after hearing other people have had the same problem. BTW the 72 dodge van, crager mags? Thanks again
I can't believe how many people tell me to put crager mags on the van!!!

I guess I'll just have to do it!

I'll have to paint it then.....any votes for uncle Rico orange?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You should definitely bring it to the dealer and mention the problem to them since it's still under warranty. Sounds like a head gasket problem to me based on the description, although presumably others have experienced it to some degree too. Have you been wheeling in water recently?.. or driven in really really heavy rain for a long time?

To get a better idea of what's going on in the actual motor itself(rather than just on the oil cap where condensed water would build up), pull out your oil dipstick when the engine is warm and see if you have that milkshake stuff on the oil that is at the bottom of the dipstick. If you do, definitely bring it to the dealer and at least make them alert to the problem(that way they can't blame you for ignoring the warning signs if the motor blows)... that way if anything happens to the motor, they have it on record that you brought it in.

Keep a close eye on your temp. gauge and make sure it doesn't budge above the normal operating temperature. Also listen for knocks and look for white smoke coming from the tailpipe or coolant leaking down the side of the motor.

Did you notice any oil at the top of your coolant reservoir or the top of your radiator?

I find it really weird that you'd have water in your coolant... only because I have a 2.7 liter 4-cylinder truck(they are slightly different in my gen truck from yours), and i do almost all short drives to work, where my truck barely gets a chance to warm all the way up... yet I've never seen a single drop of any water in my oil to date(knock on wood!), plus you said your fuel economy has dropped. Doesn't sound right that anyone could justify that as normal.

Not to be the devils advocate or try to scare you.. but I call it as I see it.

I'd probably get that oil out of the engine ASAP too and throw some nice new oil and a filter in, then continue monitoring the issue over the next week or two, so you at least have a fresh starting point to know that you had clean oil to start with.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. After seeing what 007 had to say I feel a little bit better. If I could find the spark plugs i'd pull them to isolate the gasket failure if thats the trouble. I will watch the coolant overflow tank to see if the level changes. This happened to me twice before (both olds cutlass pain in the butt 3.8 so head gaskets are nothing new to me. I really hope we are both wrong on this because I really love my tacoma. Thanks for your time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts