TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I love my new 2005 access cab. Its the manual 6spd V6 and its awesome.

There is something missing though - most notably the ability to do doughnuts and powerslides like mad in my older 98 taco. :xcrybaby:

I dont have my locker mod like I used to have on my old 98. Has anyone heard anything yet on the 2005 Tacoma locker mod? I have taken off the driver side kick panel and searched for the 4wd computer, it has been replaced with hundreds of wires and connectors. :confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
279 Posts
xenofuhrman said:
Well... I love my new 2005 access cab. Its the manual 6spd V6 and its awesome.

There is something missing though - most notably the ability to do doughnuts and powerslides like mad in my older 98 taco. :xcrybaby:

I dont have my locker mod like I used to have on my old 98. Has anyone heard anything yet on the 2005 Tacoma locker mod? I have taken off the driver side kick panel and searched for the 4wd computer, it has been replaced with hundreds of wires and connectors. :confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
Go to the dealer and look at the wiring diagrams. When you put the truck in 4 lo it applies a ground on a certain wire leading to the ECU. On our trucks it's a gray wire. If you can't take a look at the wire diagrams you could always do what we used to do before the grey wire mod which was called the blue wire mod. Find the 4 lo detector switch on the transfer case and just jumper it one pin to the other ala paper clip. Has the same effect as the gray wire mod, no cutting involved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every time I read about the 'blue wire mod', I hear that it fools the ECU unit and can cause problems with the shift points on the automatic transmission. The grey wire mod bypassed this and made it possible for all models.

I do have the manual transmission, but I still dont think I want to be fooling my ECU.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
4WD ECU found

The good news is I've located the little black box behind the dash directly above the glove box. Simply pop out the glove box and the black plastic face above secured by a 6mm screw. On the box you'll see the red and white decal stating that it is the 4WD computer controller. The bad news is that now it is manufactured by Aisin(previous years Tacomas had Nippondenso units) and the plug and wiring arrangements are totally different. There has to be a way to make this modification, I just don't know what it is.

jon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well... we have made the first step - we found the 4wd computer, and we are confused....

I'll keep this updated if I see anything around on the web.

I'm getting desperate with only my e-brake for power slides, but I am getting good at pulling a 180 parallel park job. I cant quite get my full 270 and put my rear end into the spot yet. Its all in the timing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No no... I got the TRD off road package with an open diff. That is why I want the locker mod: so I can lock both in 2 hi on rainy days. :D

Thats what I had in my 98, and it lasted until I bought this with no problems with the diff or the locker.

·
Registered
287 Posts
xenofuhrman said:
No no... I got the TRD off road package with an open diff. That is why I want the locker mod: so I can lock both in 2 hi on rainy days. :D

Thats what I had in my 98, and it lasted until I bought this with no problems with the diff or the locker.
Well they both spin on left hand turns if you get into the throttle to send you sideways, but only the right rear drive wheel will spin on right hand turns.

The '05 is quite torquey..... :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wait, I have an 05 Double Cab TRD Package #1, with the locking rear diff. When it isn't locked, isn't it LSD? I thought the Sport TRD #2 came only with LSD, but TRD #1 came with both. Am i correct?

·
Registered
287 Posts
05DoubleTaco said:
Wait, I have an 05 Double Cab TRD Package #1, with the locking rear diff. When it isn't locked, isn't it LSD? I thought the Sport TRD #2 came only with LSD, but TRD #1 came with both. Am i correct?

I don't believe you can have both......were you listening to the sales rep again ????

Marc

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No... you cant have both.

Thats kinda good to know about the LSD though - if I ever had one, but it wont matter to me for now.

I just want to lock it in on rainy days when I'm going to play around... if you ever see an 05 tacoma rallying through Bellevue, its me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
xenofuhrman said:
I just want to lock it in on rainy days when I'm going to play around... if you ever see an 05 tacoma rallying through Bellevue, its me.
Reminding myself NEVER to buy a used truck from you. Brand new truck man, hope you have good insurance on it if you drive it like that...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Allright, I am new to TTORA. How do we implement a 'gray wire' type mod to the 2005 Tacoma to enable locking the rear diff in 4-High. I see a small gray wire entering the white connecter on the 4Wheel ECU above and behind the glove box. I may have to purchase the wiring manual or mess around with the ohm-meter to figure this out, but figure someone out there must have done this ! Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is not looking good - they really hosed us - hope there is a simple solution cause I really need locker in 4Hi ! See 'www.nowwgasa.net' Xrunner buildup has a full set of .pdf schematics.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
just wondering why you really need it in 4hi? The only time I need the locker on the pavement is when I'm doing dumb things like making a parking spot on a curb. I couldn't imagine a "I can't go into 4lo" reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Your way off base. Sometimes you need speed/traction and not just low gears. There are hills, etc.. out there that you do not want to try in 4Lo and in 4Hi the locker would be much better. By the way the pre-runner has the locker and is not limited by a tranfer case position ! Imagine it !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts