TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see many '05 posts yet, so 2005 owners... what do you think of your trucks, and how fast are they compared to the old ones?

The new Frontier's I noticed are putting out like 265hp... that's like what the Dakota V8 was pushin' last year almost.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I bought an 05 sr5 access cab, but with a 4 cyl. Hey I need the gas mileage, it's my daily driver 100 miles a day. This truck is just as quick, if not faster than my 98 V-6 5 speed was on 33's. Stock I'm sure the old truck was a little faster.But just a little. The new V-6 is supposed to be somewhere in the mid 7's to 60.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I absolutely love this truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a regular cab 4 wheel drive 4 banger,5 speed. I don't know how it compares to the older Tacos this is my first Taco. But compared to Jeep 4 bangers theres a world of differance. The taco in much faster.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How fast?

Realm,
I have the 05 D-cab, TRD/SR5, V6, Auto 4X4.
My 05 has quite a bit of kick on off the line, and it gets up to speed quick. It can be dicey on the NorCal freeways or even in the SoCal areas, as far as getting on and people not blocking your lane changes.
I drove from Livermore, CA all the way to Carlsbad ,CA in 5 hours flat. It did 100 through the valley, flew over the Grapevine, all with no overheating.
The governor will kick in at 111 MPH, but thats plenty fast. It handles like your going 65 at that speed.
I had a 02, and loved it, but it was not nearly as comfortable, fast, stable, or aggressive as the 05.
Im not a big fan of the rear fender well, but Im sure its only a matter of time before someone offers a fiberglass replacement.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have an 05 Doublecab. I love the truck. It is my first Tacoma because the previous models were IMO only a little small on the interior, underpowered compared to the other compacts I was considering at the times, and the ride was rough. All of those "problems" have been addressed with the 05. The space, ride, and power are all great. Lots of interiors storage and as far as speed, I don't know how fast it will go but I've punched it to get on the highway several times and found myself at 85 before I even knew it. I have not been disappointed in the least bit. The only things I wish I had are: sunroof, heated outside mirrors, and MAYBE a DVD system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Information courtesy of the magazine Truckin, March issue, buy a copy for additional infomation. Obviously subjective depending on driver.

05 Tacoma Double cab 4.0 0-60 10.69 sec

05 Dakota Club cab 4.7 0-60 10.41 sec

05 Frontier Nismo 4.0 0-60 9.77 sec

04 Colorado Crew 3.5 0-60 9.21 sec

·
Registered
357 Posts
Bishop said:
Information courtesy of the magazine Truckin, March issue, buy a copy for additional infomation. Obviously subjective depending on driver.

Whoa! Is that with a trailer or something? I haven't timed my truck officially, but I'm sure I can hit 60 in less than 9 secs, with a little 190Hp engine...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bishop said:

Yea, I think that's 0-60 after getting in and starting the truck. Has to be pulling a trailer. If it was that slow, I wouldn't have gotten one!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just picked up an 05 Access Cab. It's an SR5 with the 4cyl and 5spd manual. This truck is a huge change for me. I traded in an 02 Durango 5.9 R/T. Their is no comparison in the ride. I opted for the best gas mileage and what I could afford. If I had the money I would have went for the V6. To me it was a noticeable difference. Don't get me wrong I like my 2.7 and if you keep it in the RPM's it moves just fine, but V6 with 6 speed manual was mighty nice when I test drove it. Here's a pic of my new ride.

Koko

·
Registered
148 Posts
goldmember said:
I just picked up an 05 Access Cab. It's an SR5 with the 4cyl and 5spd manual. This truck is a huge change for me. I traded in an 02 Durango 5.9 R/T. Their is no comparison in the ride. I opted for the best gas mileage and what I could afford. If I had the money I would have went for the V6. To me it was a noticeable difference. Don't get me wrong I like my 2.7 and if you keep it in the RPM's it moves just fine, but V6 with 6 speed manual was mighty nice when I test drove it. Here's a pic of my new ride.

Koko
I bet you are seeing some very different gas milages going from the gas burning dodge 5.9L to the yota 2.7L.

·
Banned
68 Posts
I know I probably dont count. I picked up my new Xrunner lastnight. I have to say it is quick. Even in 6th gear it pulls pretty good. Going down the highway at 80mph in 6th only turns 2500 RPM to. My drive from Meadville where I got it to home in Pittsburgh wich is 110miles only used 1/4 tank of gas. my old 2000 2.7 woulda used probably 3/4tank...it was a HOG...I love this new truck. It sounds really deep and muscular to..Hate to compare it..but it kinda has the tone of a v8 Stang just not as loud

·
Registered
74 Posts
:D
I just got an 05 Access Cab 4X4 TRD Offroad with the new six cyl. Speedway Blue. I only have 400+ miles so I am still being easy on it, but can't help notice I have more power. The truck is absolutely awesome, very deserving of the "Truck Of The Year" award.
It is too new to me to give you an in depth evaluation but I can offer some first impressions. I had a 99 cab and a half, 6cyl 4WD.

Stereo, a negative : Oddball dimentions plus the surround offers no way to upgrade to aftermarket. The performance JBL system is only available on the double cab. It does sound good and is loud enough (I did not say it was loud enough did I?).

Tilt / Telescopic steering wheel, nuetral : Doesn't tilt or telescope enough to have even bothered with this feature but I guess I am glad it has it.

Composite bed, nuetral : Very slick. I hauled a new dishwasher in a box and it wanted to slide all over. I will get it coated with a spray in bedliner. Looks like a PITA to mount an aftermarket toolbox and the factory one which mounts to the cargo rails seems to pricey. I have not seen it but wonder if it is just flash.

Rear access doors, triple plus.

Rear half seat stowage, positive : They fold forward leaving a flat cargo area instead of the small shelf type of the previous model.

Rear half seat storage, nuetral : Never used the old stlye much but there is less room. Almost as much available in the rear door pockets.

Tires. I would have opted for a wider tread and BF Goodrich All Terrains instead of the Long Trails.

It is a much better truck. I looked at the engine and all I could see was a engine sized cover. It is hidden. Looking around the cover, it seems it actually might be an impressive looking engine.

I guess it goes with the territory but right now after market parts and accessories are little to non existant. Anyone know of some sources ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
TRD4WD said:
I bet you are seeing some very different gas milages going from the gas burning dodge 5.9L to the yota 2.7L.
You got that right! And I won't hear me complain! Leaves more money to spend for other toys at the end of the month. :)

Koko

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an 05 double cab v-6 in the sport edition with the shortbed and I thoroughly enjoy it. Rides great, plenty of space inside and out. You will not regret buying any one of the 18 different tacos toyota offers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
goldmember said:
You got that right! And I won't hear me complain! Leaves more money to spend for other toys at the end of the month. :)

Koko
I have the exact same truck as you goldmember, even the same color. Love it ,22-23 mpg average and it has plenty of power. The V-6 is nice, but certainly not worth the extra fuel for me driving 100 miles a day.

·
Registered
287 Posts
05yota4x4 said:
I know I probably dont count. I picked up my new Xrunner lastnight. I have to say it is quick. Even in 6th gear it pulls pretty good. Going down the highway at 80mph in 6th only turns 2500 RPM to. My drive from Meadville where I got it to home in Pittsburgh wich is 110miles only used 1/4 tank of gas. my old 2000 2.7 woulda used probably 3/4tank...it was a HOG...I love this new truck. It sounds really deep and muscular to..Hate to compare it..but it kinda has the tone of a v8 Stang just not as loud
Where in the 'Burgh, I have yet to see an X-runner around here....

Marc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bishop said:

I saw this as well - however, I cannot find the article to see how the test was run... Car and Driver tested the DoubleCab 4x4 6 sp and clocked a 7.4 0-60 time on pavement.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts