TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I am as new to the forums as the truck I just ordered. Seems like a good place to poke around.

I know that the 2005 Tacoma is pretty new but some of the experience on here is not so that is what I am after as far as input goes.

I live work and play at 8,000 feet. My job sees me driving from 7,000 to 12,000 feet on the average. I make a living in the high country in all four seasons as a photographer. for the past few years, I have been scaling Colorado's 14,000 foot peaks. Some of the trail heads are really out there and a bee-atch to get to. I spend a lot off time off road.

Just to give you an idea of what I am used to, I have gone up Montezuma and Taylor Pass numerous times and even managed to cake walk the renowned South Colony Lakes jeep road. I am not a hard driver, just one who wants to get there. Decent but short descriptions of these roads can be found here:

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/coloradotrails/

http://www.fourteeners.org/ranges/sangre/crestone_ndl/crestone_ndl_all.htm

I don't know that I will ever want to scare the life out of my self on such heinous drives as Como Lake jeep road, one the nations worst and deadliest. I walked it for those summits thank you, saw a memorial in the rock in "Jaws-II" a really exposed section of technical rock crawl:

http://www.4x4now.com/trcobp2.jpg

http://www.4x4now.com/trcobp.htm

In order to accomplish this, I have always insisted on some form of 4WD. I have an 89 4 Runner. This thing rips off road. It has 240,000 on the body and 120,000 on the V6, rust, the windows or horn do not operate, the speedometer has the Toyota "Squeal" and it has some dents and scratches in it. The power steering pump leaks and I think the tranny ( auto ) needs looking at. I have never really abused it but BOY has it worked hard!! It has 35 inch BFG's and a bit of a lift not to mention an extra spring in the back to get rid of the saggy old 4-Runner look. On the down side, it sucks for long road trips and picking up clients that are paying me upwards of $2,000 a day, just does not look the part. My expensive gear gets coated in dust due to the rusty openings in the body.

It is such a good wheelbase that I thought about keeping it and getting a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T for the road trips and clients, but one thing stopped me from doing it. I need to be able to go off road on a road trip.

So I have decided to sell the Runner and get the 2005 Tacoma access cab, V6, 6 speed, TRD.
I must have spent close to two hours on here reading some 50 threads in this section alone on Tacos. What I have discovered is this:

With the longer wheelbase, the new Taco is going to need sliders and a lift. And once the snow melts and I get way into the back country, I am going to need bigger and more aggressive tires than the stock TRD option. While I like the increase in size, I hope the larger build is not going to be all that noticeable on the tighter trails. I still want this truck to be a good road vehicle and get decent gas milage too so I have a few months to look into what the best options are.

I realize that I might need to get a vehicle like my 4 runner again if I want to do roads like South Colony Lakes on a regular basis but I also know that with some driving skill and a decent lift, I can most likely do it in this truck.

I am not new to off road driving but I am new to mods and Tacomas.

Any other Colorado 2005 Tacoma owners or others who can shed some experience on this??

·
Registered
196 Posts
You NEED to get new tires ASAP if you plan on getting into some snow. I have a new 05 A-cab with TRD in CO and I took it out a couple of weeks ago after the 1k mile break-in to test all of the new buttons. It did well until I got into some packable snow (Mt. Herman Rd. near Monument). The truck had no lack of spirit or umpf to get through the white stuff but the tires packed up in no time and I was slipping more than I ever had on low-tred Yokies. The locker worked great, and I would have eventually gotten out with some redistribution of snow, but I had a buddy with me (unluckily he drives a Jeep Liberty and I will never hear the end of it) to yank me out to a spot with traction. Otherwise, for my limited off-roading it has proved itself like my former Toyotas ('95 4Runner and '86 PU).
I would give it two thumbs up.

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
Gargoyle said:
You NEED to get new tires ASAP if you plan on getting into some snow. I have a new 05 A-cab with TRD in CO and I took it out a couple of weeks ago after the 1k mile break-in to test all of the new buttons. It did well until I got into some packable snow (Mt. Herman Rd. near Monument). The truck had no lack of spirit or umpf to get through the white stuff but the tires packed up in no time and I was slipping more than I ever had on low-tred Yokies. The locker worked great, and I would have eventually gotten out with some redistribution of snow, but I had a buddy with me (unluckily he drives a Jeep Liberty and I will never hear the end of it) to yank me out to a spot with traction. Otherwise, for my limited off-roading it has proved itself like my former Toyotas ('95 4Runner and '86 PU).
I would give it two thumbs up.
Garg,
You need a toytec lift and some new tires! Are you going to the CO. SPRGS cookout?
I have yet to see the new Taco up close.
Bill

·
Registered
196 Posts
OK, I just RSVPed to the meeting. Tacolikker, I know that Chris with ToyTec was looking for an '05 to test-install on locally. You may want to check if his very generous offer is still available. Go check them out at http://www.toyteclifts.com/
they have them listed for the '05 at around $200 or less.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you plan on hauling around clients and you make $2,000/day then you should get the double cab. 15 days of work = $30,000. You can afford to pay cash for the 05 tacoma. I need another career.

·
Registered
5 Posts
me too

hezy said:
If you plan on hauling around clients and you make $2,000/day then you should get the double cab. 15 days of work = $30,000. You can afford to pay cash for the 05 tacoma. I need another career.
Ditto on the double cab. I'm also a photographer (news, though, not corporate, so my day rates don't get quite to the 2k mark). I went from a subaru outback (did great) to the 05 tacoma. I had always had a truck and missed one dearly so after I reached my goal of 200k on the rubasub I went for the truck. I wanted a tacoma pretty bad, and would have bought on 04 or similar, but the third door on the 05 access cab was pretty inviting. Wasn't interested in the double cab. Told myself a double cab wasn't a truck. "Double cabs can't make up their minds - you're either a truck or an SUV, but not both".

Well, after sitting in an 05 and putting my gear in both the double cab and the access cab, and considering my young daughter to haul around occasionally, my wife convinced me to go the double cab route. I went there hesitantly. I haven't regretted a single day. The back seats stay down all the time with my cases of gear and a custom shelf/drawer for the little stuff which sits on the 60 part of the 60/40 split. When I take my daughter anywhere, or a client for that matter, I simply move one case and fold up the 40% seat. Works beautifully.

I haven't gone off road much, but I also insist on the 4wd because I have to cover things in seriously bad weather and in the occasional tough spot. You'll appreciate this one: I was shooting some elk (yes elk) in eastern Kentucky which are part of a relocation program last week. This was on an active strip mine. Went off road in mud and light snow on stock tires and suspension and never had bit of trouble. Nothing real big time though. I probably will get better tires when these wear out. I do more road driving than off roading, but want to get there when I need to.

Anyway, love my double cab. My wife drives an 01 4runner and we used to have a 87 4runner when we lived in, of all places, Jackson Hole.

Good luck. Do it.

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
Gargoyle said:
OK, I just RSVPed to the meeting. Tacolikker, I know that Chris with ToyTec was looking for an '05 to test-install on locally. You may want to check if his very generous offer is still available. Go check them out at http://www.toyteclifts.com/
they have them listed for the '05 at around $200 or less.
You should hit him up for that lift! I don't think they got enough takers on it yet (they were going to do more than one I think).
Anyway, hope to see your rig at the cookout.
Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Thanks for all the input.

I will look the guy up about the lift when I get the truck.

LOL! I make up to a $2K day rate, surely not 5 days a week..:)
I do fine art, stock, commercial and photojournalism.

I looked hard at the double but there is just not a good option for sleeping. I had a recent breakup with a great girl with two kids so I still wonder on the seating but I think a family is a looong way off now unfortunately. The long bed version would work but now the wheelbase is just too long for jeep trails at that point.

I drove the access cab V6 w/ the 6 speed and was blown away by it!!

I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just emailed Chris @ toytec.
I hate to put bigger tires on it when it has brand new ones, can you sell them??
$200??

·
Registered
196 Posts
If your truck has not come in yet, you may want to look into having the dealership upgrade the tires. As soon as I got my truck I started to dislike the rubber and called around to a number of Discount Tire shops. Some were only willing to give me about $30 a tire with < 500 miles on them (retail at about $120 each). I then learned that my dealership sells tires. You may be able to have them trade up the stock tires. It doesn't hurt to look into it, I wish I had.
I am sure I could get a decent $ for them in the newspaper, but they realy do suck. Take a look at http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=BFGoodrich&tiremodel=Rugged+Trail+T%2FA%AE for an idea of their ability (or inability). Here is the snow that they got me stuck in: http://home.adelphia.net/~mtstoehr/graphics/pix/StuckToy05.jpg
I have gone with Yokohama tires in the past and loved them. I will get Geolander A/T+II when my truck needs new rubber (probably 285/75R16s).

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
TaCoLiKkEr said:
So I have decided to sell the Runner and get the 2005 Tacoma access cab, V6, 6 speed, TRD.
I must have spent close to two hours on here reading some 50 threads in this section alone on Tacos. What I have discovered is this:
If you will be hauling clients- go for a Double cab -

Another word of advice...consider keeping the 4runner too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks Goyle,

Goooood piece of advice on the pre showroom trade out. Worth the effort.
I just can't see taking those rugged terrain's up montezuma ( my favorite spring climb ) although, about 6 years ago, I took a 1987 4wd 4 door Subaru sedan to just under 12,000 feet to bring oxygen to a fallen climber, I ripped a nearly de-flate-a-tory gash in the sidewall and had to replace the rubber....God was that Baru a beater..:).

So you like the Yokies over the the BFG's? I have a pair of Chapparal AT's with studs for winter. I would have to get 15 inch rims though since that is what they are. I will probably sell them this Fall as the BFG AT's did great so I never put them on.

Grillmasta'

I am shticking whit da acc cab, I need a place to sleep out there. The client scenario is only happening once every few weeks and is usually only an art director.

As for keeping the Runner, it is just getting too old and I really don't need a project car. I figure I will do a couple grand in suspension mods and call it good on the new rig. I really don't need to be hanging my arse in the breeze too badly. I fully accept that I might need a new paint job every 5 years though with brush scratches.

Thanks guys!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts