TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2005 tacoma with 6inch lift 35inch tires. out of no whrere my air bag light came on the lift was installed 2 years ago and have not been off-roading in about 5 months. also i have never been an a accident. can anybody help me with this. :confused:

·
Registered
270 Posts
...I wonder if this is something that would throw a code at the OBDII... go to an advanced auto or auto zone and have them read the OBD to see if there is a code being thrown. Might help you narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10-4. thanks i'll see if i can make a swing

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sensor probly wiggled itself loose, check your connections under the seat and see if they are all good and connected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
air bag light

I had a Ford Explorer do that and it was the car battery, A very simple way for the dealership to get $80 to hook it up to the diagnostic machine. then they wanted $120 for a battery. They wouldnt even take it out of the stall. I had to push it out of the stall to install the wal-mart battery that I bought on the way down there for $50.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes i just checked all connections under the seat as well as voltage on the battery and everything is good to go but,yet air bag light is still on.. SUCKS!! but thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
...I wonder if this is something that would throw a code at the OBDII... go to an advanced auto or auto zone and have them read the OBD to see if there is a code being thrown. Might help you narrow down the problem.
Standard OBDII readers can't read manufacturer-specific codes for ABS, Airbag, Traction-Control systems. Engine management systems HAVE to be compatible with the OBDII spec by law, the remainder of systems on vehicles don't.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Happened on my truck just randomly too. took it to my buddies shop and he ran a code reader and could get a code but didn't have access to what it meant because it is kept confidential by toyota so you have to go to a dealership. I took it in and it was a sensor wire, they fixed it, for a mere 400$. What a rip of to change a wire that probably costs 2 cents

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
seen the steering wheel clock spring go out on 3 tacos now throwing up the air bag light. something like 220$ for just the part. i said effit and just drive with the light on

havent seen a generic scantool that can do abs ,srs, ect for the toyotas , i had to take it to the dealer to get the code read.

good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the info

·
Registered
103 Posts
yea obd 2 scanners wont pull up the srs codes, if you know anyone who has a snap on soloist you can take this or any light off, but they also run 5000 hahaha thank god i have one at work we "borrow" :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its a common problem on the 05 tacomas it was like 120 to diagnose and was completely covered under warranty (I have over 60k on my truck) If I remember correctly its probably the squib cable (the spool in the steering wheel)

Go down to the dealer and have them pull the codes when that lights on NONE of the safety features will function.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
so your telling me that i have to take my truck to the dealer for them to erase some code just so my safety features will work?

crap, i think i might have broken the clocking spring.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was just told today by a Toyota dealership in Oregon that there's a recall on the airbags but the parts aren't released yet.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
yup, sure is. supposed to take effect in april

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport V6 4dr short bed, now with 107k mi. Several years ago at around 65k mi, my SRS airbag light began to periodically come on then go off. The frequency increased over the next month or so to the point where the airbag light simply stayed on. The issue for me was the driver’s side front crash sensor. I documented the fix in a Google Doc if this is helpful to anyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts