TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? I have a brand new 2005 Tacoma with 1200 miles on it. Under cold conditions the V-6 has great acceleration however, engine sounds like there is an exhaust leak especially under acceleration. Should I be concerned about this or is the just the way the new Tacos sound. Also there is a very loud clicking noise that sounds like th valves, however the dealership told me it was the injectors. Lastly inside the cab at slower speeds over bumps there is plastic on plastc knocking sound that I can't seem to figure out and it drives me nuts! I thought it was the passenger seat belt at first but I worked on it and still hear it. Does any one elses 05 do any of this or does anyone have any solutions? Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
clank said:
What's up guys? I have a brand new 2005 Tacoma with 1200 miles on it. Under cold conditions the V-6 has great acceleration however, engine sounds like there is an exhaust leak especially under acceleration. Should I be concerned about this or is the just the way the new Tacos sound.
The "exhaust leak" seems to go away after a fair amount of mileage. Mine used to sound like that, but after about 3500mi. the sound went away. This seems to be the same with most of the '05s that have this problem.

Check this
link

clank said:
Also there is a very loud clicking noise that sounds like th valves, however the dealership told me it was the injectors.
I haven't heard that noise that you are talking about in my truck, but I've heard other people talking about this and they seem to think it is injector tick.

clank said:
Lastly inside the cab at slower speeds over bumps there is plastic on plastc knocking sound that I can't seem to figure out and it drives me nuts! I thought it was the passenger seat belt at first but I worked on it and still hear it. Does any one elses 05 do any of this or does anyone have any solutions? Thanks!
This is a problem with the cab mounts. People have taken them to the dealer for a realignment and grease, but this only solved the problem temporarily. As far as I have heard there is no fix for it yet.

Here are a couple links for you to read on that topic:

Link 1

Link 2

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am right there with you buddy! I have all the same things that you are experiencing. The engine valvetrain noise ( i do not believe it is injector noise), exhuast leak, and popping from my front left shock.

The exhaust leak is the most annoying. If that does not go away in a thousand miles, I will bring it to the dealer. I only have 800 miles on my 2005 Taco.

The damn thing is I still love this truck. I used to have an F-150 before.

·
Registered
463 Posts
slow50 said:
The exhaust leak is the most annoying. If that does not go away in a thousand miles, I will bring it to the dealer. I only have 800 miles on my 2005 Taco.
Give it a few thousand more like 3500-5000 before you take it in to the dealer for the "exhaust leak" sound. It seems to be going away on most of the '05s at about that point.

slow50 said:
Can you copy and past some of that information from Tundrasoltuons? I am not a memeber.
There are too may posts to copy and past that info. I tried to summarize what those posts said.

Give the truck a while for the "exhaust leak" sound.

And there does not seem to be any solution for the cab mount problem yet.

·
Registered
287 Posts
And at 5000 miles the maintenance required light will come on as it did to me today. but that was just to tell me to change the oil, but it can be reset.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and just got a '05 Taco 4x4 6MT off road package. I'm also getting a knocking noise that seems to be coming from under the passanger side when I go over speed bumps. Is anyone having similar problems?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Clicking noise in front end please read!!!!

:mad: Well after taking an extensive look at this problem myself...i can tell you it is clicking in the frame somewhere..this happens when going over bumps, leaving driveway, etc... took it to the dealer and called toyota headquarters also 1-800-331-4331 call them if you are experiencing the same problem!! The Toyota engineers are coming out to look at my truck next Friday...The dealer was able to reproduce the noise and had to make a sound file for Toyota. Anyone else having this problem???? Make sure you call and report it Email me if you have a fix...I have already had the skid plate and sway bar bushings replaced....I really think this is something in the frame structure

·
Registered
463 Posts
micron929rr said:
:mad: Well after taking an extensive look at this problem myself...i can tell you it is clicking in the frame somewhere..this happens when going over bumps, leaving driveway, etc... took it to the dealer and called toyota headquarters also 1-800-331-4331 call them if you are experiencing the same problem!! The Toyota engineers are coming out to look at my truck next Friday...The dealer was able to reproduce the noise and had to make a sound file for Toyota. Anyone else having this problem???? Make sure you call and report it Email me if you have a fix...I have already had the skid plate and sway bar bushings replaced....I really think this is something in the frame structure
There is a TSB for the cab mounts on the '05s for making a knocking sound. There's also been some rumors of a known problem with the front alum bumper mount being over tightened.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44069&highlight=bumper+mount

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep that is what it is...the aluminum brace...actually the blocks it mounts too..the bolts inside of it are loose...no fix for it except to replace I guess?? Toyota rep is coming out to look at problem...there are no service bulletins for it according to toyota...so I guess I have to wait and see...kinda of scared to keep driving it though if those bolts are loose especially if i am in a front end collision..Toyota may have a law suit on their hands if they do not get this problem resolved ASAP. I tried lock tite, washer, lock washers...nothing works to fix the problem...seems like the welds inside the box all broke resulting in this noise and loose bolts.

So for now I am just waiting for the rep to come out and look at the problem...I wanted them just to give me the right parts and be done with it so I could put it on..only takes a hour to remove the bumper, brace and put all back together....

·
Registered
30 Posts
As far as the "plastic on plastic" check the passenger seat belt. Mine was tapping the "B" piller. A little piece of velcro on the back solved it.

C

·
0 Posts
The 'ticking sound' may be the AC compressor. I hear it when idling with the AC running.

I dont have the other problems you guys are talking about. 15,100 miles as of this morning.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
No. If I were a lot of folks probably wouldn't be here.
However, I have invested a lot here over the years so have a stake in seeing that it doesn't go to shit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
clank said:
Lastly inside the cab at slower speeds over bumps there is plastic on plastc knocking sound that I can't seem to figure out and it drives me nuts! I thought it was the passenger seat belt at first but I worked on it and still hear it. Does any one elses 05 do any of this or does anyone have any solutions? Thanks!

I had the same problem. Every once in a while you would get a dull thud, usually after acceleration or on braking on the drivers side. I checked the locking compartments, nothing there.

Today I fixed it. I moved the maglite out from under the driver seat.
(I was wondering where in the hell that thing went!)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
27 Participants
scottB
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing