TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought a 2005 Tacoma with the bigger engine or tried one out? I believe it will pull my bassboat great, but I thought I would get input from you guys if you have tried it. I could get the Tundra and its my second favorite truck, but Im a Tacoma fan, and I'm single and no kids so the Tacoma is actually better for me.
I will either lift the one I have now and use it mudbogging or sell it to my parents and just get the new one. I have time to decided and no rush

·
Registered
612 Posts
I read one article saying the 245 HP V6 truck was UNDERpowered. Compared to a dragster I guess it is, but how much power does a little pickup really need? Even with my 150 HP 4 cyl I can inadvertenly spin the back tires on wet pavement. I imagine the 4.0L V6 is hard to control as far as 2WD traction. Unless Toyota added 2000lbs of lead weight to the 2005, I'd say 245 HP is plenty of power!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 05 has the 4.0V6 in it and it is a rush. I can't understand why Petersons 4 Wheel said this engine was underpowered for this truck. If i'm not mistaken my doublecab, 4x4 only weighs a little over 4000lbs. Not to bad for such a big truck. I will be pulling a 8' utility trailer this year with 4 wheelers and a lawnmower occassionaly, and I bet the truck wont even realize it is back there. Best of luck, I am sure you will enjoy the 05. Cheers.
-Sam

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have an 05 4x4 with the 4.0 V6 and I can say pretty confidently that you will have no problems pulling your boat at all. Go for it, you won't regret this truck one bit!

·
Registered
37 Posts
This 4 liter is great. It will pull any bass boat you have. I tow and 18 ft ski boat and it is like there is nothing there. This is on a double cab. Without anything in tow it will run from 0 to 90 faster then I want to go and I have not even really pushed it. I think it has 20-40% more there. It can run all day at 90 and not even break a sweat. If you keep it to 70 gas mileage is as good or better then my 2001 3.4.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have the 6speed or an auto? I've only had a 5 speed before so I have no idea how the auto would pull in it.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
taco4x4_175vs_girl said:
Has anyone bought a 2005 Tacoma with the bigger engine or tried one out? I believe it will pull my bassboat great, but I thought I would get input from you guys if you have tried it. I could get the Tundra and its my second favorite truck, but Im a Tacoma fan, and I'm single and no kids so the Tacoma is actually better for me.
I will either lift the one I have now and use it mudbogging or sell it to my parents and just get the new one. I have time to decided and no rush
I have the 4.0 with the auto and have pulled a dual axle box trailer that was loaded with cement, boxes of nails, chains, boxes of lag bolts, screws and plenty of misc size lumber for making forms. Pulled it no problemo.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have the 4.0 auto as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anybody bought or driven the '05 with manual transmission? I'm going to custom order my '05 to get the exact color and features I want, but I haven't been able to find a stickshift double cab to test drive so don't know if I want to go that route or not.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have an X-Runner with the 6 speed and have driven a few 4Runners with the V6 and auto. My F-150 with a V8 has less power and torque and is much heavier and I occasionally tow with it.

I think you will find the V6 very suitable for towing especially with the auto, as long as you are not going over the mountains.

Gadget

1 - 10 of 10 Posts