TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm planning to do some pretty serious offroading with a 2005 Tacoma is it a must that i get the TRD off road package instead of the regular sr5 4wd package? How much better is the suspension/offroad capability with the TRD package than with the SR5 4WD package?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
well if you are going to do some serious offroading...you'll prob going to replace all the suspensions...so i don't know waht to tell you...i dont' know about the TRD on the '05 but on the '04 the difference was the tires, rims 16" compare to the 15" and TRD sticker...and the rear locker....i think that's about it for like off-roading *Stuff*

it's a personal choice...

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Bryan062087 said:
If I'm planning to do some pretty serious offroading with a 2005 Tacoma is it a must that i get the TRD off road package instead of the regular sr5 4wd package? How much better is the suspension/offroad capability with the TRD package than with the SR5 4WD package?
THe TRD suspension is much better than the SR5, but Like said above, you will probably replace the suspension at some point with an aftermarket one that's even better. - but without the TRD package, you will not have the locker. I don't know if you can order one without the TRD an just the locker, you used to with the old Tacomas, but expect a few months wait, you will not find one on the lot, and you'd have to find a dealer who will to order it.

For the cost, it's almost cheaper to just get the TRD package then to install an alftermarket locker like an ARB - you are looking at $800 for parts alone, plus installation. Plus then the TRD locker is covered under the warranty, and it's one of the best lockers out there.

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
The TRD package gets you all the SR5 stuff plus sport seats, 6 disc cd changer,steering wheel audio controls, outside temperature gauge, 400 watt power outlet in bed, digital compass, auto dimming rear view mirror, fog lamps, 16 inch alloy wheels, 265/70 16 tires as opposed to the standard 245/75 16, Bilstien shocks, and most importantly the e-locker. The package is worth the money if you want all that stuff. Do you need it to wheel?, no, but you may wish you spent a little more money if you don't get it. I will assume this is going to be your daily driver so you may want the creature comforts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The mirror is a seperate option/accessory. BTW mine doesn't have it either.

·
Registered
104 Posts
even though youll probably tear out all the bulk of the stock susp. when you lift it, Id still get the TRD. The locker its self makes it worth it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Make sure to get the right TRD package. There are 2 for the '05 models. The difference is one has the E-Locker and regular hood, the other has a LSD and scooped hood. I believe the scooped hood is the TRD package #1 (sport package), and the locker is the TRD package #2......I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts