TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 toyota tacoma and just recently the dash lights that illumintae the HVAC controls on the fan selection went out. Not the bulbs that illumintae the fan speed or temperature, but the ones that illuminate which direction the fan blows. For example like the defroster, feet, and face selection button.

I was tryin to look around the dash to take it apart but couldnt find any screws anywhere near there to take it apart or in the glovebox :confused:. Has anyone ever replaced this bulb before on there 2005+ tacoma? If so, how did you go about taking the dash apart and changing the light bulbs?

I desperately need this fixed because its so dark at night time without the light on that part of the dash that i have to use the light from my cell phone just to illuminate it, which is very dangerous. Especially on dark two lane coutry roads while towing my trailer with all my equipment.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
It just pops out. Give it a good tug

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
And I don't believe they are bulbs. I think they are led's that are soldered onto the circuit board

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Try to get it from the bottom edge. Its tight and you may need to use a screw driver

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. i finally got it out. but now i cant get the circuit board seperated from the front selectrol control panel. I just broke two clips and bent a nail tryin to do it. can i just pull the dials out form the front?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I haven't tried to take it apart, I just had to pull it out for the head unit install

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 toyota tacoma and just recently the dash lights that illumintae the HVAC controls on the fan selection went out. Not the bulbs that illumintae the fan speed or temperature, but the ones that illuminate which direction the fan blows. For example like the defroster, feet, and face selection button.

I was tryin to look around the dash to take it apart but couldnt find any screws anywhere near there to take it apart or in the glovebox :confused:. Has anyone ever replaced this bulb before on there 2005+ tacoma? If so, how did you go about taking the dash apart and changing the light bulbs?

I desperately need this fixed because its so dark at night time without the light on that part of the dash that i have to use the light from my cell phone just to illuminate it, which is very dangerous. Especially on dark two lane coutry roads while towing my trailer with all my equipment.
No one answered all these questions. It won't help you at this point, but it may help someone else. Just search youtube for how to remove the climate control panel. It is super easy with a butter knife and it just pops out. Once out you will see the backs of the 2 bulbs that light up the controls. It sounds like this guy had only 1 of the 2 burn out. I just went thru this on my 2007. The 2005-2011 all use the same bulbs. Use the same butter knife to twist the groove in the back of the light a quarter turn, and you can then remove the burned out bulb. You can get these bulbs at the dealership-mine wanted $15 a bulb- or what I did is get a set of 2 aftermarket ones on ebay for less than one at the dealership, and replace both while you have the panel off. Here's the ones that I got.

I ended up searching for a long time thru thread after thread for good info on this, and it was hard to find. Hope this helps someone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts