TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 dbl cab taco lb 4x4 and i am wondering if it is really necesarry to tow in 4. i am towing a pwc that would be at most 1,000 to 1,200lbs fueled on the trailer. i have searched with no real answer. am i just waisting fuel or should i continue towing in 4?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a 2006 dbl cab taco lb 4x4 and i am wondering if it is really necesarry to tow in 4. i am towing a pwc that would be at most 1,000 to 1,200lbs fueled on the trailer. i have searched with no real answer. am i just waisting fuel or should i continue towing in 4?
You should not be towing in 4wd when you don't need to. Of you are going through rough terrain then yes but if its just on the street you have a chance of breaking something. 4wd should not be used on the street towing or not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should not be towing in 4wd when you don't need to. Of you are going through rough terrain then yes but if its just on the street you have a chance of breaking something. 4wd should not be used on the street towing or not.
i am not talking about 4wd. i'm asking if i should tow in 4th gear.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I thouight the same thing as whippersnapper02, since it's not the case of towing in 4wd in the street, then, I'll advice to drive in the highest gear that you can keep control of your truck and driving conditons permit, if climbing a hill and you can get away with 6th gear then fine if not, use the proper gear for the incline (up or down).

There's nothing wrong with using higher gears for towing, with such a small load, it should be easy to tow around in any gear unless you're in a very steep hill, in which case you should use a lower gear.

just "feel" your truck and respond to it properly.

I've towed a 23' Proline in 6th gear on highway without any problems, in snake like roads, I may lower to 5th or 4th gear for better control.

Just remember that towing at high speeds, 60mph or higher is not safe with any load and most trailers aren't designed for higher speeds.

A friend of mine used to tow her PWC with her Honda Accord at 70mph on the highway until a trailer tire blew, guess what happened next........ yes, no more PWC to tow.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i think he is asking if its o.k. to shift into D or overdrive without having to worry about the torque converter unlocking and locking maybe over heating the fluid.....i would also like to know

·
Registered
322 Posts
Towing 1200 pounds is not much of a load. I tow in Drive all the time. The transmission picks the right gear. I downshift for descending so I don't have to cook the brakes.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I agree I tow my 16 foot Seadoo in drive all the time, you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I tow all the time. You are talking about towing 20% of the vechicle's rated capacity, you won't notice it IMO. Enjoy both your toys!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts