TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a new Double cab 6 cyl Tacoma tommorrow morning and I was wondering if there are any issues that i should consider before this purchase. I have heard everything from the truck lunging at redlights to driveline vibrations, to ticking engine's, are these things that are critical, or things that were on earlier models? I have always thought that Toyota made quality products and so I thought I might try them. Let me know any of your thoughts or opinions.Thanks

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am purchasing a new Double cab 6 cyl Tacoma tommorrow morning and I was wondering if there are any issues that i should consider before this purchase. I have heard everything from the truck lunging at redlights to driveline vibrations, to ticking engine's, are these things that are critical, or things that were on earlier models? I have always thought that Toyota made quality products and so I thought I might try them. Let me know any of your thoughts or opinions.Thanks
I have a 2007 ...had it about a couple months now (1300 miles).

Yes - you've probably read a lot of issues on various things - but I think a lot of that stuff has been fixed since 2007 OR people are just not familiar with the characteristics of the toyota. I'm still getting used to mine.

I recommend you drive both an auto & manual.
I read a lot of complaints about the clutch - and after I drove the manual, I didn't like the characteristics (clutch/gas) so I bought an Automatic. Another good thing I liked about the Auto - oil & transmission cooler in the TRD Sport. This is strictly my DD and general mulch/hauler.

I surely hope this truck is as good in quality and reliability as my 96 was and the sole reason why I went with another Toyota.

·
Registered
145 Posts
wow what a bunch of Mary Janes. The truck is a pick-up not a Chrylser 300. The clutch works fine.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The lunging at red light thing is probably just the engine kicking up the rpm when the AC cycles on. Mine does it and I just got used to it. It's more like a surge, or a bump from behind. I used to look in my rear view mirror to see if I had been bumped. Toyota claims there is nothing wrong with the truck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
my 07 DC shudders at 20 mph, lunges at idle when the ac is on, bed bangs, down shifts hard, and ticks.

10k and lovin every minute of it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought an 07 reg cab 2.7 with a 5 speed in November. I love it so much i put a lift on, and it already has 18'000 on it. If you want to buy something that will be a piece of shiv then look at american cars. I have always had Chevy trucks, then i test drove mine. I didnt even look at other trucks when i bought it. I bought mine cause i hate wondering if "is today gonna be the day my truck doesnt start?" Lets us know what decision you make.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
wel i know a few people who have 05+ tacos and i asked before i bought mine too, they said that they have had no problems at all
so i went and bought mine

havnt had any problems yet, but i have to take it in to have the auto shifter fixed, it snags on the plastic while trying to go from park to reverse, but thats all so far, gl and get a good deal!!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had the rear end replaced, broke all the mudflaps off, broke the trailer connector off, and had my exhaust manifolds replaced. Would I buy another Tacoma? In a heartbeat. I have an 05. I was expecting to find things here and there to have problems. First year for that body style...why not, right? You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got mine March 3 and have 5,800 on it and it's been fine. It's an 07 automatic trans 4wd access cab with the offroad package. I haven't put any lift or anything like that on it so if you plan on doing that then I don't know what to tell you. I still have the same tires on the thing. Only thing I've changed is the oil.

I can tell by your post you have been reading toyotanation forums. I came from an 01 F-150 and before that a 97 Mazda B4000 truck. I think the main whiners on toyota nation drove civics or its equivalent or this is their first vehicle. You can tell because they rice the damn things up and post pictures.

Seriously this is the nicest truck I've owned. I have the automatic and it shifts smoother than any truck I've had. It's a 4wd truck, not a car. I spend a lot of time in the thing obviously and it's great. Not a single regret from me.

It's all a perspective thing. Most guys here are complaining because the new bodystyle is bigger. I'm coming from an F-150 thinking "man this thing is so small and easy to park."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought the new Tacoma today, 07 DC Prerunner, white, SR5. Man, do I really like this thing, loads of power, smooth ride, quiet, and handles really well. I am very happy with my decision. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had a couple of Tacos (98 and 04) and bought the 2007 Sport Package because I was satisfied with my former purchases. Love the new truck, larger size and sport suspension are just what I need. What I don't need is the computer controlled throttle. I bought a six speed and regret this choice. The computer controlled throtle is unnecessary and completely useless. I can work the gas and shift just fine by myself, in fact, this is why I bought a stick. If I knew that those pointy headed geeks were going to screw with the throttle, I never would have bought a stick.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
If I knew that those pointy headed geeks were going to screw with the throttle, I never would have bought a stick.
:D

Awesome!

I haven't driven the manual tranny. When I bought mine I knew well in advance that I wanted an automatic.

The "Drive by wire" system works really well with the automatic.

It does everything right.

When I'm accelerating gently, it shifts smooth and easy.

When I slow down it downshifts for me.

When I make it run hard, it compensates for that and shifts firmer and at the right RPMS.

In 4WD, in 2WD, in the dirt, on the pavement, 5 MPH or 100 MPH- it works.

I sure like mine.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
:D

Awesome!

I haven't driven the manual tranny. When I bought mine I knew well in advance that I wanted an automatic.

The "Drive by wire" system works really well with the automatic.

It does everything right.

When I'm accelerating gently, it shifts smooth and easy.

When I slow down it downshifts for me.

When I make it run hard, it compensates for that and shifts firmer and at the right RPMS.

In 4WD, in 2WD, in the dirt, on the pavement, 5 MPH or 100 MPH- it works.

I sure like mine.
Pretty much... yep :D

Best truck I have ever owned. Had it since March 17th, and just over 4K. Averaging 17.9 mpg (Was 18.5 before this last weekend.. towing and 200 miles on FS roads at 11mpg really hurts the average when you only have filled it 16 times :D)..

Plenty of power, plenty of room...

Couple things that bug me, but not badly.

Speedo isnt calibrated perfectly with the ECU, so the SG gives me an accurate speed and the dash is slightly off... but getting better which is odd..

4.0's run rich when cold, VERY rich.. I can even smell fuel sometimes, but both of mine do it, and searching and talking around here its normal...

Other than that I love it... I do get the surge when stopped, I think its more drive by wire than anything..

The rear are prone to vibs since toyota did away with the dual cardian joint on the back half of the 2piece shaft... Main reason I didnt lift the rear of mine...

They are pretty capable stock. I did a 1.75" level kit, rear airbags and can still flex the truck as much as it did stock, and with the A-TRAC setup it really does well offroad...

Any model with the tow package will have the supp oil and trans (auto) coolers. I dont know how well the trans coolers work, but will as soon as my trans temp gauge is installed. Gauge is here, sender is installed in a spare hardline, just waiting on the release of a a-pillar mount (should be this month)

Hope you like it as much as I like mine.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Interesting about the surging when stopped. I never really noticed it but my wife has only driven the truck a few times and i thought she was nuts when she told me about it...no I am not going to mention I was wrong...
I have got about 25K in 2 years on my '05 and love it other than a few things that I can live with....
Enjoy your new toy---take care of it and it will take care of you for a long time...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Bought the new Tacoma today, 07 DC Prerunner, white, SR5. Man, do I really like this thing, loads of power, smooth ride, quiet, and handles really well. I am very happy with my decision. Thanks everyone
did you buy the TRD?
is it limited slip or rear locker?
which body style did you choose long bed or short?

you are right, it is very smooth, and quiet, and shifts smooth, im happy with mine too, but i cant wait to break it in so i can see how it really does

·
Registered
21 Posts
07 Tacoma SR5 LSD 4x4 4.0l 6 speed manual

I Bought my 07 Tacoma SR5 4x4 LSD 4.0l 6-speed in late march. I went from owning a 03 Jeep Wrangler 2.4l 4bannger lifted 8 inches 35inch super swampers getting close to 10mpg. (horrible) I absolutely love this truck.. it rides soo much better than any truck I have riden in... its quiet.. well was until i swapped out the stock muffler w/a magnaflow.. gets good gas mileage.. well for what im used to anyways.. awesome power! the only problem I have had with my 07 is that the rear bumper was not aligned correctly, but is getting fixed for free by toyota and also the paint on the driver side lower panel is coming off... (not sure what toyota used but it seems to me like its some type of special paint to prevent rockchips) I was washing my truck tuesday and noticed that the compound was coming off.. I called toyota and they scheduled an appointment with a local body shop to have it fixed for free also. other than that no complaints! hopefully thats the only problem I have with this truck.. I had major Engine/driveline problems with the jeep and will never own another one in my life.. stupid lemons!

·
Registered
423 Posts
...I went from owning a 03 Jeep Wrangler 2.4l 4bannger lifted 8 inches 35inch super swampers getting close to 10mpg......... I had major Engine/driveline problems with the jeep and will never own another one in my life.. stupid lemons!

That's pretty funny. Your right it wasn't your cobbled up lift and tires (probably stock gearing, etc...), it was the Jeeps fault. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts