TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering getting a new Tacoma to take over for my 1989 4Runner that I've been driving for the last thirteen years. I test drove a 4 banger regular cab 4x4 and really liked it. But when I turned the dial (?) to 4-lo it beeped like I had activated the self destruct sequence. The salesman showed me that I had to set the parking brake first before selecting 4-lo. Even then I still had problems getting it in and out of 4-lo. I was wondering if it was possible to ever get use to this or disable the need for parking brake to shift. Seems like I am constantly in and out of 4-lo in the backcountry and will really miss a manual shift transfer case.

·
Registered
114 Posts
utahexplorer said:
I was considering getting a new Tacoma to take over for my 1989 4Runner that I've been driving for the last thirteen years. I test drove a 4 banger regular cab 4x4 and really liked it. But when I turned the dial (?) to 4-lo it beeped like I had activated the self destruct sequence. The salesman showed me that I had to set the parking brake first before selecting 4-lo. Even then I still had problems getting it in and out of 4-lo. I was wondering if it was possible to ever get use to this or disable the need for parking brake to shift. Seems like I am constantly in and out of 4-lo in the backcountry and will really miss a manual shift transfer case.
Unless things have changed with the 07s the parking break has nothing to do with it. You must stop and shift the truck to neutral in order to put it in 4lo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would assume that automatics must be in park to shift to 4-lo. I would also assume that the 4.0 V6 6-speed needs to have the parking brake on also to shift to 4-lo. I had the clutch in, foot on the brake, transmission in neutral when I turned the dial to 4-lo but it just beeped. I'm not sure if this is new for 2007 but I figured it was all part of it having an electronic transfer case.

·
Registered
672 Posts
All you have to do is stop, push the clutch in all of the way and you are golden.

Edit: sometimes mine will beep a lil, if it does I switch back to 4-hi, move a few feet and try again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't read the manual or look on the visor. It was just a quick test drive. I figured it shouldn't be that hard to put it in 4-lo but it sure was frustrating. I suppose the salesman could be wrong. That is why I am asking here. I'm sure that someone on this forum has put an '05 or newer Tacoma standard trans in 4-lo and I'm wondering if it could be mastered by someone like me who is extremely used to a manual shift transfer case.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My roomate has an 06 TRD with the 6-speed manny, he needs to stop, and have the clutch in, but no parking brake.

·
Registered
803 Posts
All the advice you've received here is correct. No parking brake required. I'll add that it also get's much easier after being used a few times too. Plus, if it starts beeping for any reason at all you'll have to cycle the switch back to 4H and try again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know when I got my 06 I thought there was a problem with 4L, turned out the clutch wasn't bottomed out, I guess the way I rest my foot and drive normally leaves a little bit of room between the peddle and the floorboard, I have to make a concious effort to fully depress the clutch when shifting into 4L

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not trying to disuade you from the 07's but don't they have a problem with the motor mounts breaking? Personally i'd pick up an 04, then you won't have all these shifting problems. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
106 Posts
stucktaco said:
Not trying to disuade you from the 07's but don't they have a problem with the motor mounts breaking?

From all the info I have read on this forum it seems the issues with the cracked frame are isolated to the 4.0, and it seems to me that those that are having probelms are all 05 models.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
stucktaco said:
Not trying to disuade you from the 07's but don't they have a problem with the motor mounts breaking? Personally i'd pick up an 04, then you won't have all these shifting problems. Just my :2cents:

only very few cases, and only on 05's... the mounts dont break the weld was bad...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a test drive at another dealer and see if I have better luck. Although I really would like a brand new truck I may just keep an eye out for a clean '04.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts