TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright folks, this is what we have so far for camping information.
We have reserved all of the tent camping area as well as cabins, and a few RV spots at the closest KOA to the Chokecherry and Rockgarden areas. The KOA is about a half hour away from both areas. They do have limited space for tent campers, 12 pads and a group area that can hold about 15 more tents. Although the tent area only has 12 "pads" 2 tents can easily fit on one spot. Our recomendation if you want to stay at the KOA would be to get in contact with a friend before reserving so that you could share a tent spot, allowing the KOA to fit more people.

KOA
1900 E Blanco Blv.
Bloomfeild NM 87413
(505) 632-8339
Talk to Tom or Adele, and tell them you're with the TTORA group.

We will also have a primitive campsite set up in the Chokecherry Canyon area. We will have toilets, dumpsters and possibly event tents (still working out the details) setup there. This area will have almost unlimited space, and will be very close to where the staging areas will be, as well as many of the trailheads, and the Brown Springs area which is famous for holding many rockcrawling events. We will need to pay a small fee per vehicle (5$) to the BLM for use of the area.

To get to Chokecherry coming in from the South directions are as follows:

US 550 North to US 64 (Bloomfeild) and go West on 64. Go West on 64 for about 13 miles, turn right on Broadway Blv. Follow Broadway for about 2 miles, past Scott street to Butler St. Turn right (North). Follow Butler for 4 miles to Pinon hills rd. turn left (West). follow Pinon hills for about 1.5 Miles, as the road starts to turn left the turnoff for Chokecherry will be on your right, From there head down the canyon road about 4.5 miles and the campsite will be on your Right hand side.
If anyone has any questions as to how to get to the canyon, or anything related to camping for 2007 Takeover please ask here, or PM me!

Thank you
Brian

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Brian and associates.... ;)

Now that I'm actually coming to this great event. How is the road in to the primitive camping/staging area? Just making sure my 2wd Tundra can make it w/o needing to have the trail rig pull it through. LOL

Great talking to you today Brian, you have me even more excited than I was when I was clueless about the terrain.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see you're going to make it Chris, you won't be dissapointed!

The road in is smooth, there are a couple of sections that have somewhat of a washboard, but you will be fine. Hell I see Saturns cruise down that road all the time, and even a Prius :eek: . Of all the times I've been down that road I've never had to lock my tow rig in 4wd. If we get a good rain it may get a little slick, but I still think you'll be fine, as it will dry out really quikly.

Look forward to finally wheelin' with 'ya man! See 'ya in a couple months, and if you have any more questions please, ask away!!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Oh.. I'm sure I'll have a couple more questions for you. The tire pricing war started today. :)

Talk to you soon man, I can't wait to wheel with you and watch you romp on that thing.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
4 36-13.5-15 Bias Irocs ready for me. ~$30 each, brand new. Got to love the Americas Tire warrenty since they can't get the MT/R's right now I can change to a different tire! WHeee!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
GPS Cords?

Brian-

Do you have the GPS cords for the "primitive campsite" in the Chokecherry Canyon area? I swear it used to be posted, but it might have been lost in your last edit.

Also for clarification, this will also be the staging area's for the daily events?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Brian,
2x on the GPS coord's?
Thx

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian-

Do you have the GPS cords for the "primitive campsite" in the Chokecherry Canyon area? I swear it used to be posted, but it might have been lost in your last edit.

Also for clarification, this will also be the staging area's for the daily events?
You're not loosing it Wil, It was posted on my original post.. However, we were looking into another area a little closer to where all the trails start this weekend, so I deleted them. That being said.......

After meeting with the BLM this weekend we have decided to move the staging area/primitive campsite a bit closer to Pinion Hills Road (NM 574). All the directions remain the same. The only difference is that you will go 3.5 miles North on Chokecherry Canyon road instead of 4.5 Miles. GPS cooridinates are N36 48.696 W108 10.493. I apolagize if this has created any confusion.

In relation to the campsite/staging area being relocated approximately One mile South on Chokecherry Canyon Road the BLM has also agreed not to charge a fee to those of us camping in the primative camping area.

The primitive camping area is also the same area that staging will be held. Staging will be held a few hundred yards North of where the campsite, as well as the registration tent will be. Staging will not be hard to figure out as we will have small colored flags lined up representing the difficulty rating of the trails to be run. Red flags represent extreme trails, Yellow are moderate, and Green are stock. Simply line up behind the group you would like to run with, depending on the difficulty rating and what you and your rig are capable of. A thread will be started on a list of trails and thier difficulty rating soon.

If anyone needs more imformation please let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts