TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few updates in the numbers.... and stuff.

Since I have had the 07 for a month/~3600 miles, I would like to give my opinion on it.
This information is for a 2wd Double Cab SR5 5.7L with the towing package.

Daily Driver: It does the job. Mixed city/hwy I'm getting an average of 15MPG. For highway driving, it does very well. 70-75MPH on cruse I am seeing 18.5MPG. The brakes are very impressive, I am more worried about those around me not stopping as fast and rear ending me, than me not having enough brakes to stop. Acceleration is very impressive for a truck that weighs 5220Lbs. With VSC off, the truck will spin the tires through all of first gear, and part of second from a dead stop. With VSC wheel spin is greatly reduced. VSC is almost necessary with stop lights in the rain.
Around town the ride is better than my Tacoma ever was, it is predictable and the seats are compfy. On the highway, 90% of the time... the ride is great. When the freeway is rough, IE 'washboard' you feel it, most of the time its not a big deal, if the road is really bad... don't try to drink water... it'll end up either in your noise or down your shirt. :rolleyes: The ride is better with weight in the bed. Remember... this truck was designed to tow 10,600lbs! I expected a rougher ride.

Towing: I bought this rig, replacing my 04 Tacoma because the Tacoma was asking for a wreak when towing.

Towing a 2000lb U-haul car hauler (surge brakes) and my 3500-4000 lb 85' pickup, I got ~14mpg doing 55 with "tow/haul" on. This may not be a very fair test due to the fairly short tow, but it will have to work!

"tow/haul" kicks ass. Under hard braking it will down shift the tranny promptly and will provide engine braking. Under acceleration (approx 1/2 throttle) it will keep a gear much further into the RPM range, usually shifting around 3500 RPM.

Interior:
The base stereo (non JBL/Nav) is pretty good for stock. It has an Aux input which is very nice. The seats are supportive and are much more compfy than those that were in my Tacoma, both the front buckets and the rear bench. The rear under seat storage is on the cheaper side, but worth it to me. There are PLENTY of storage compartments; 3 sunglass/eyeglass holders in the overhead console, a cubby in each front door, bottle holders in every door, two glove compartments, and the center console is huge. The AC works great, and heat is just as good. Stock dual climate is very nice to have, as my girlfriend always wants it warm, when I want the AC on. It works! No rattles, but I believe the tailgate 'bangs' slightly when going over speed bumps with much speed.

My biggest complaint is going to be the false fuel gauge or Toyota put 22 gallon tanks in them. Toyota.com, the dealer and the truck booklet state 26.4 gallon tanks for the truck, and I have yet to fill up more than 21 gallons. I have PM'd and talked with a couple other people about this and they are having the same experiences. I have took the tank down below where the trip computer things 0 (zero) is... and the most I have put in the tank was 21gal. When I get a little time I am going to pull the P/N off the tank and call the Parts Department to see if it is the correct tank. I am also going to take a 5gal fuel jug when I go on the next long trip and just run it till she starts sputtering.

EDIT: I was able to put 24.826 gallons in last fill up... $83.?? later... it was full. :eek: So... the gas gauge is stupid, and the on board trip meeter is even worse, i still had 60+ miles after it got to 0 miles till empty.

The average MPG on the trip computer is pretty damn accurate in my case. It is usually .1-.3 off of my calculations.

If you or someone is thinking about getting a 1/2 Ton pickup, make sure the Tundra is on your list. I have driven various different makes and models. F150-F350, Chevy1500-3500 and one Dodge 1500. The Tundra is much better than the rest IMO. It may not have the towing/hauling capacity of a 3/4 or 1Ton truck, but for what I am going to use the truck for, it is perfect.

·
Registered
455 Posts
very helpful as well.
although the fuel thing might be due to a built in "reserve" tank so people wont run the tanks to absolute zero. just a thought ;)

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
02tacotoy said:
very helpful as well.
although the fuel thing might be due to a built in "reserve" tank so people wont run the tanks to absolute zero. just a thought ;)
a 4-5 gallon reserve? And they don't say shit about it in the manual. Fawk thats another ~60 miles!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Great report!! I'm sticking with my diesel for now. I just can't pay that kind of money for a truck. I do think they are nice and my Dodge isn't perfect, but it is affordable at this point in time for Heidi and I.

Tim

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tim! The 07' Tundra isn't perfect either, but it is leaps and bounds over the Tacoma for our needs. I feel safer for Daily Driving, and 100x's fawk, 1000x's better towing with it. The funny thing is, my insurance is cheaper by ~$150!

4wd must really increase insurance costs.

You are still welcome to take the Tundra for a drive/tow!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Wgasa84 said:
Thanks Tim! The 07' Tundra isn't perfect either, but it is leaps and bounds over the Tacoma for our needs. I feel safer for Daily Driving, and 100x's fawk, 1000x's better towing with it. The funny thing is, my insurance is cheaper by ~$150!

4wd must really increase insurance costs.

You are still welcome to take the Tundra for a drive/tow!
Ohh, I'm sure, compared to my Dodge, that rig is uber quiet. My truck definately drives like a truck. Its a 2001 so there are some things that are starting to break. My dad and I just replaced the a/c compressor yesterday ($500 :eek: ) it needs to have some steering stuff replaced, but since it weighs 7,000 it tows like a dream!!! Mileage is about 14 in town, 15 towing and 18 on the highway. This is with 35 BFG all-terrains. I'm sure my mileage would be better, but I have 4.10 gears and 35s. At 70 it is pushing 2200 rpms. I almost wish I had another gear so that the RPMs were lower. When I bought it though, it had 56,000 miles on the clock, leather and a super clean body. Long bed makes it trickey in parking lots, but I just park further away and walk. :) Again, congrats on the puchase!!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timbuddha said:
Ohh, I'm sure, compared to my Dodge, that rig is uber quiet. My truck definately drives like a truck. Its a 2001 so there are some things that are starting to break. My dad and I just replaced the a/c compressor yesterday ($500 :eek: ) it needs to have some steering stuff replaced, but since it weighs 7,000 it tows like a dream!!! Mileage is about 14 in town, 15 towing and 18 on the highway. This is with 35 BFG all-terrains. I'm sure my mileage would be better, but I have 4.10 gears and 35s. At 70 it is pushing 2200 rpms. I almost wish I had another gear so that the RPMs were lower. When I bought it though, it had 56,000 miles on the clock, leather and a super clean body. Long bed makes it trickey in parking lots, but I just park further away and walk. :) Again, congrats on the puchase!!
Hey it works for you! I'm glad you have it!

Thanks buddy. We have to wheel togeather again...

I just need to stop breaking my dang truck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have around 2k on mine now and I love it. Towed the moon buggy to the XRRA race in Moab and I could hardly feel it. My average was only around 11-12 MPG going up and over the passes from Denver but I was going 70+ over each pass just to see if she would get hot or not. Got a lot of looks from other half tons having a hard time keeping speed limit over the passes. Otherwise, I'm getting near 15 city and 17 highway without trailer weight.

·
Registered
779 Posts
sounds like an all around great truck..good write-up... now Toyota has to comeout with the diesel everyone wants... !After that, say goodbye to the competition...seriously

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
Great report!! I'm sticking with my diesel for now. I just can't pay that kind of money for a truck. I do think they are nice and my Dodge isn't perfect, but it is affordable at this point in time for Heidi and I.

Tim
I think that answers my question, I`m getting a diesel...

-I don`t have to drive it daily
-I plan on towing several times a month
-hills are a bitch when towin...and I`ve had a 4 banger taco for the past 8
years, I want more power!
-diesel seems to hold it`s value, and the fuel doesn`t fluxuate as much.
-my buddy can be get aftermarket parts alittle above cost..:D

I am a hugh toyota fan, but I think a diesel is just so much more truck for the money, and the tundra are pricey.....but very nice looking in & out.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think that answers my question, I`m getting a diesel...

-I don`t have to drive it daily
-I plan on towing several times a month
-hills are a bitch when towin...and I`ve had a 4 banger taco for the past 8
years, I want more power!
-diesel seems to hold it`s value, and the fuel doesn`t fluxuate as much.
-my buddy can be get aftermarket parts alittle above cost..:D

I am a hugh toyota fan, but I think a diesel is just so much more truck for the money, and the tundra are pricey.....but very nice looking in & out.
then wait it out three years or so and save up for a diesel TOY...?

·
Registered
779 Posts
talk to phil (norcalpr) he has a lot or reasons why he thinks they will... plus the tundra is a new beast and it would love a diesel powerplant.. not necessarily true about having one already... they had no need for it..in the states

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You bastards! And Action Jackson, you must shit money!!

I'm having a hard time not buying a new Tundra, but I think I need to get into a house before I get a new truck.
If I was at the time in my life where I was able to buy a house... I'd be driving a Yaris and my 85 would sit for 5 years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts