TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an artical I read today in PC mag. It states that due to demand from people with tighter wallets due to higher gas Prices (my words not exactly theirs), Toyota has sped up production of Flex-Fuel vehicals with the Tundra in 08 to be one of the first in the line to be able to run, Gas, Gas-Ea blend, or 100% Ea.
Bascaly they said this:
They finaly upsized the Tundra to a true full-size truck just intime for gas to go through the roof so they kinda screwed up and are trying to offer more economical versions of it to sell more.
The technology for this is coming from the project they have going in Brazil with i think it was the corolia that they planed to introduced in 08/09 sometime. That too is being speed up for US market intro.

I say speed up the Diesel damn it!
Oh and make a dullie too :) lol (I really dont care I dont tow that much, Bt if the tundra offers a diesel, I may just have to get one :)

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
ripkinC said:
In an artical I read today in PC mag. It states that due to demand from people with tighter wallets due to higher gas Prices (my words not exactly theirs), Toyota has sped up production of Flex-Fuel vehicals with the Tundra in 08 to be one of the first in the line to be able to run, Gas, Gas-Ea blend, or 100% Ea.
Bascaly they said this:
They finaly upsized the Tundra to a true full-size truck just intime for gas to go through the roof so they kinda screwed up and are trying to offer more economical versions of it to sell more.
The technology for this is coming from the project they have going in Brazil with i think it was the corolia that they planed to introduced in 08/09 sometime. That too is being speed up for US market intro.

Oh and make a dullie too :) lol (I really dont care I dont tow that much, Bt if the tundra offers a diesel, I may just have to get one :)
Goes to show that truck will not last long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ripkinC said:
Bascaly they said this:

E-85 is a joke!!!!
Currently Trucks and cars that use E-85 get 35-50% less milage per gallon and E-85 runs about anywhere of $1.60-$1.90 across the U.S.

Doesn't seem very economical to helping financial situations other than you will be helping the environment :thumbs: :dunno: supposedly with less greenhouse gases. So $1 less cost to get $!$% mileage and hitting the next station sooner. They laughed on the documentary that they're making the air smell sweeter.

Current Trucks that use Flex fuels get 8-10 mpg max city / 12-13 mpg max driving the highway on the current EPA testing standards that normally get 16/20 gasoline filled.EPA standards are changing and you can expect E-85 rating and Gasoline rating to drop to Real world driving #'s.

The Brazil projects are using E-85 to ; 100 percent " Sugar Cane Ethanol "

But they receive better mileage through their technology as I've read while searching alternative fuel uses and vehicles while maintaing some 400 hp turbo charged vehicles from Saab and Volvo currently available there.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Ethanol ismt really much of a solution in terms of greenhouse gasses either. According to a .gov site (epa I think, or some branch) ethanol (E85 I am assuming) emitts about 15% less'greenhouse gases' when compared to gasoline. Not much of a solution there.

It'd be a little beneficial in terms of cost, if the prices you posted are accurate, and a little in the environment department. But the money it costs to fund pumping stations and what not probably would be better put toward bio-diesel or more refined diesel for the time being.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Kyota said:
Ethanol ismt really much of a solution in terms of greenhouse gasses either. According to a .gov site (epa I think, or some branch) ethanol (E85 I am assuming) emitts about 15% less'greenhouse gases' when compared to gasoline. Not much of a solution there.

It'd be a little beneficial in terms of cost, if the prices you posted are accurate, and a little in the environment department. But the money it costs to fund pumping stations and what not probably would be better put toward bio-diesel or more refined diesel for the time being.
Many people also overlook the amount of greenhouse gasses which are produced during the ethanol production process. That alone cancels any sort of emissions advantage.

~Miguel

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thats why they need to make it from termites! lol Pop-sci has a short column about making some sort of ethanol, forgot the term, outta termite guts. heh Bumpersticker: 'Termite Powered ' haha

·
Registered
84 Posts
ARB1977 said:
Goes to show that truck will not last long.
Gotta disagree with this one if you're pointing it at the new Tundra in general. Saying this is equivalent to say the F-150 won't last, and we all know with nearly one million sales per year, that ain't gonna happen.

The Tundra is bigger in every dimension, provides a heck of a lot more power, and gets the same gas mileage. Customer loyalty is the only advantage the Ford has going for it, so I'm sure the Tundra will do just fine. Toyota has a 200K aim and I think that's pretty reasonable.

Despite gas prices people are still buying up other gas guzzling 1/2 ton, and even 3/4 ton trucks, so no reason the Tundra would be any different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts