TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 Tacoma 4-link + 4wd long travel!!!!!! :)

There are always people asking about doing a 4-link rear on the 05+ and I've only seen 2 trucks running this setup. This one is almost complete.

It's more of a multi-purpose truck than just being built for sand. There's a lot of rocks out here in Colorado so it will get four wheeled on trails and hopefully make a few trips out to play in the sand all while handling great on the road. I've never been a fan of leaf springs so everything was cut off and the whole rear was re-done. It will be running ORI struts mounted on the axle (no beams) since ground clearance is more important than a few extra inches of droop.

We're still building the front end but it isn't done yet. It's a custom LT setup with upgraded 4x4 spindles.

The axle is finished and re-installed. The ORIs need to be mounted and a minor bedcage built before it's drivable.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:xpimp: That was the plasma. Cutting under the truck sucks since you just get showered in sparks.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
There are always people asking about doing a 4-link rear on the 05+ and I've only seen 2 trucks running this setup. This one is almost complete.

It's more of a multi-purpose truck than just being built for sand. There's a lot of rocks out here in Colorado so it will get four wheeled on trails and hopefully make a few trips out to play in the sand all while handling great on the road. I've never been a fan of leaf springs so everything was cut off and the whole rear was re-done. It will be running ORI struts mounted on the axle (no beams) since ground clearance is more important than a few extra inches of droop.

We're still building the front end but it isn't done yet. It's a custom LT setup with upgraded 4x4 spindles.

The axle is finished and re-installed. The ORIs need to be mounted and a minor bedcage built before it's drivable.
This build looks awesome. Keep up the good work. Please detail your front LT setup. Are you just reinforcing stock 4x4 spindles or what? Say with Total Chaos gussets or??

·
Registered
149 Posts
tmorgan4,
So where in Co are you? Let me know if you find some good trails out here, should be getting my truck back pretty soon. Cant wait to see that thing completely done

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind comments. :) For a while I had no intentions of ever even posting up a build thread since everyone on the internet likes to talk shit about things they really don't know much about. We'll see where this thread goes.... :D

For the front, the lower arm is fully fabricated. Most of the parts for the spindle are made and just need to be welded. This truck MUST stay 4wd, so stronger spindles were in order. I designed these and had them machined.

All the pieces for the lower arms I designed were laser cut. I got almost done welding the first arm before I made the stupid decision to weld one hard to access side out of the jig. It warped the arm, and I decided it was a good time to start over. Maybe I'll have to turn them into some garage art so they aren't completely worthless.

Instead of just getting another set of arms cut, I decided that there were a few things I wanted to change. I didn't have the time to design them since it was right during finals, so Dan Barcroft (who does some excellent work!) designed a set that is self jigging uses tabs and notches.

Depending on how this kit works and how long it takes to produce I'm playing with the idea of selling them. The original plan was to go to Moab in about 3 weeks but I'm not sure we'll be ready. Time will tell!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
tmorgan4,
So where in Co are you? Let me know if you find some good trails out here, should be getting my truck back pretty soon. Cant wait to see that thing completely done
Nice truck! My friend who owns this truck had an 2007 with the Total Chaos kit with Deavers in the rear and it was such a fun truck. We're up in Fort Collins. There are tons of trails in Colorado. I had a video of the old truck hitting some huge jumps on a trail up by Breckenridge but it got corrupted when it was transferring it to my computer. :(

I'd love to see your truck sometime.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got rid of the stock gas tank since it was in the way of the 4-link. That's a fuel cell that is now mounted in the bed. There is a TON of room underneath without the fuel tank.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
will be posting pics of mine as soon as Tim finishes everything up

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will be posting pics of mine as soon as Tim finishes everything up
Right on...I'll look forward to seeing it. Of course it's going to be nice just by looking at the specs but I always like seeing built 05+ Tacomas.

How long are you in Colorado for?

·
Registered
149 Posts
up here in thornton btw, did drive it around here for a bit before it went into the shop for the pass 18 months or so, lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
stayin here in co after i get out of the army, going to school at uccs this fall for my masters

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
all i can say is wow, looks top notch.

any chance on me buying a set of those backing plates for the 4wd bearings?
i really want to build a set of spindles so i can bump off the upper arm. having those premade would give me the motivation.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts