TTORA Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Change of plans-ish. Meeting Jeff (joe mauma) at Icehouse Resort around 10am on Friday. Hoping to catch up with Mike, Chris and Tyler somewhere around Ellis? Not sure how early you guys plan on leaving Wentworth.

Phill, head in the Tahoe side early Sat morning and wheel to the Springs. At least camp one night on the trail!

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I don't have a problem wheeling in from either side. Last time I started early on the trail from loon, I made it to buck by noon.

I'd just rather have someone wheel with me

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
Change of plans-ish. Meeting Jeff (joe mauma) at Icehouse Resort around 10am on Friday. Hoping to catch up with Mike, Chris and Tyler somewhere around Ellis? Not sure how early you guys plan on leaving Wentworth.
Cool. We'll all sleep in and I'll cook up lots of yummy bacon and eggs for breakfast. :xzzz: :camping:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Cool. We'll all sleep in and I'll cook up lots of yummy bacon and eggs for breakfast. :xzzz: :camping:
works for me :D
Tim's bringing some sort of breakfast stuff as well so all be too full to wheel early :p

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
What CB channel are we on? I have a HAM too but haven't quite learned how to program it :D

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
why, channel 31, of course :p

phil can help you with your ham

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got some more packing to do tonight, then we will hit the road tomorrow morning.

Everyone have safe travels, see you guys on the trail Friday!

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
why, channel 31, of course :p

phil can help you with your ham
Yes. Theres a couple frequencies thay would work. I have the frequencies and pl tones. Basivally you have the rubicon repeater, the rubicon repeater and link to pollock pines, and the rubicon repeater frequency without a pl tone, so you can listen to the repeater freq but not transmit on it.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
444.9875 +5 split, 156.7 pl = rubicon repeater. You will also heat 146.805 traffic but will not transmit on that repeater.
444.9875 +5 split, 107.2 pl = rubicon repeater, and you will also transmit on the 146.805
444.9875 no split, pl 156.7 = rubicon simplex. You can hear the repeater but not transmit on it
146.805 -.6 split, pl 123 = pollock pines repeater. You cant hit this directly on the trail, but you can in the sac valley.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
See you all either at Wenthworth on Thus or Buck on Fri :D
...or...Phill at the springs on Sat :p

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
:p

Is someone going to moniter the rubicon repeater freq? That way in case something happens to me or I need to find you guys I can reach out on the repeater

W6ftw

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
:p

Is someone going to moniter the rubicon repeater freq? That way in case something happens to me or I need to find you guys I can reach out on the repeater

W6ftw
Yeah, I'll punch it in on my radio. My Yeasu is a dual receiver, so I'll lock in the repeater and use a separate freq for simplex.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Sweet! Let me know when you guys leave buck. I'm planning on starting the trail as soon as there is daylight so we may be able to head down to the springs as a whole

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
My plans imploded on me yesterday.

I was really lookin forward to seein you guys again. Its been way too long

Gonna try for a reboot in Sep.
sorry you missed it....epic day on Cadillac, LOL

putting either a Dusy or Swamp Lk run together for sometime withing the Aug 20-26 time frame. If Dusy figure 5days including drive to/from. If Swamp we are looking at 3-4 days including drive time.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Next run! Dusy or Swamp Lk/Brewer Lk

Some have asked about running either Dusy or Swamp Lk in Aug so here it is.
Drive time from the Bay Area is about 6hrs to the trailhead for either of these.
Both trails can be run with full size rigs BUT expect a lot of body damage!!! These trails are extremely tight with hairpin turns between big rocks and trees that like to eat sheet metal. Everyone here who has run these trails has some sort of battle scars :D

Dusy
The trail "can" be run in 2 days for those who like body (human) damage and like to beat their rig to shit. I've done it in 3 days and it took this old back over a week to recover :p The scenery is amazing so we like to take our time. Stop at the big trees (McKinley Grove) if you haven't done so in the past...pretty cool.

If we run Dusy figure 4 to 6 days to/from home. The trail is 30 miles long so take extra gas
Swamp Lk: figure 3-4 days to/from home, extra gas for Tacos not necessary but suggested, just in case.

Socal rigs will have to add some time to this estimate but basically...Fresno, turn right then another 4hrs to camp.

nearest gas for a Dusy run is in Shaver Lk, 32mi from Kaiser pass at the end of the trail and the same 32mi to the south trailhead at Voyager.
For Swamp, about 21miles from Shaver to trailhead

http://www.californiajeeper.com/dusy_ershim/trail.htm
http://www.4wdcfresno.net/2015/index.php/main-menu/trail-openclosed-status/dusy-ershim

The usual run starts at Voyager campground (pavement, air-down) at the south end of the trail (yes, Dick...just for you...) and we wheel into Voyager Rock campground (3 miles). We can either camp there or drive the additional 2 miles to the far end of Courtright, which I prefer, and camp first night. This allows for a better jump start for Thompson Hill the next day. If we have a lot of rigs that can't get there until late in the day/evening then Voyager Rock (foot of Chicken Rock) campground may be a better bet and then get an early start up Chicken rock and on to Thompson hill the next morning.
2nd day: To Thompson Lk (8 miles) either by the lake (short walk down the hill) or above it at the main campground at the top of the hill or... press on to East Lk another 6 miles. This makes a shorter run to Ershim the next day. (10 mi from Thompson, 5 from East) A lot will depend on how long it takes to get up Thompson hill and how many breaks occur. :p It can be an all day adventure or it can take only an hr or 2 but usually something in between. Most chose Thompson Lk to rest up or make repairs from the ordeal of the Hill :p
3rd day: to Ershim Lk with Lunch/swim/fish at East Lk, about a 5min walk.
4th day: To Mallard Lk, 4-5 mi from Ershim (fishing)
5th day: Drive out to Kaiser Pass (pavement), about 5mi.
If a 6-day trip add camping at East Lk on the 3rd night.

Another option is to wheel all the way out from Ershim on the 4th day (9-10 miles to pavement) stopping for lunch at Mallard. This, however, makes for along day to get home. The last couple of miles to Whitebark vista are pretty rough.
A lot will depend on breakdowns :p

This trail is IFS "friendly" with a well built rig (Early Tacoma/Runner on a minimum of 33s. Crawler is suggested but plenty have run this IFS w/o a crawler.
'05+ Taco/'03+ Runner will need a lot more of a build and 35s/37s). I don't know of any of these rigs who have run Dusy. The Socal gang had a group of 05+ Tacomas and FJCs run Swamp...a 19hr straight (on the trail) epic nightmare...check their writeup for details...
Frankly, I wouldn't try it with anything less than 37s, 2 lockers and lots of armor.
Re-gearing for larger tires a MUST! Lockers, F/R. You will beat up your truck, however, so be prepared!! Take extra CVS (2 min for early Tacos) and tie rod ends. Body damage highly likely
Winch suggested but you can get a tug if needed from the rig in front of you.
Mandatory things to have:
Toe points f/r
At lest a rear locker, not limited slip
Sliders
aftermarket skids
Hi-lift
spare tire

suggested to have:
front locker
CB radio
Aftermarket bumpers, f/r especially for the rear with quarter panel wrap-around protection
(you will most likely lose a taillight w/o it).

Swamp Lk trail
This is a lot like Dusy only shorter...about 14 miles
http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=45
http://www.4wdcfresno.net/2015/index.php/main-menu/trail-openclosed-status/swamp-trail

This trail can be run in one day but why? :p
I've always done a 2-night/3day including drive time trip or added Brewer Lk as a short run (3 mi) on the way out from Swamp off of 9S10

Day 1: drive to South trailhead stopping at Shaver for last gas, ice, etc.
I usually air down when I get off pavement well before the actual trail head to make a smoother ride on the dirt FS roads once off the main track.
Start trail and wheel to top of the ridge campsite...awesome views!!
There are two lakes about a 30min walk with great fishing.
Day 2: wheel to Grouse Lk and camp or on to Swamp Lk. There is more room at Grouse but I've camped at both. fishing at both lakes
Day 3: wheel out to trail end, air up at pavement. Optional short trip: either stay aired down or add at least some for the few miles of pavement to the Brewer Lk turn off (dirt). Wheel to Brewer Lk (3.5 miles), easy trail until the last 100yds of rock garden. There is little room for camping at Brewer so I usually just make a spur trip out of it and have some lunch.
Head back out to 9S10, paved road to Tamarack Ridge and hwy 168 and home. gas at Shaver if needed but better to wait until at least Prather to keep cost down. Prices are about $1/gal different between Prather and Shaver.

Full size rigs "can" run these trails, and have but you WILL get some body damage. I know of rigs of 85" rubber to rubber who have made it with some creative maneuvers between trees so it is possible for wider rigs. Check out the 'full size on Dusy' threads on Pirate for a better idea...there are several that go back years. Long wheel base is the real killer on these trails as there are so many tight turns between trees, trees/boulders, boulders/boulders, etc. 124" is not a problem with our narrow early Tacomas...135+ and a wider rig...will be dicey. If you have run Rubicon with no problems in your full size rig this will be a completely different experience. You will bend sheet metal, guaranteed.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-northern-california/1091537-full-size-dodge-dusy.html

one comment, LOL
"Start out with a F250 at the begining of the trail, and you will have a Ford Ranger at the end of the trail!"

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Sounds good, Chris. So what dates in Aug?
I think Dusy is still my favorite trail of all.

Especially when Fordye seems to have gone by the by, damnit. I was hoping to run Fordyce this year when I know high water can't be a issue since there's no water to have an issue with. I won't bitch if it rains and snows this winter though, we need it bad.

Speaking of rain, know anything about fire restrictions on Dusy? Since we've had some rain in that area lately they may be allowed at altitude.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Currently the only place you can have a campfire on any of the Sierra National Forest OHV trails is Voyager Rock Campground, probably won't change until the end of October. Campfires are still alowed in the wilderness, so technically you could walk 300 feet from the center of the trail and make a campfire. Campfires might also be restricted in the wilderness by the time of your trip. They were last year, but I don't remember when that restriction started. :saw:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Currently the only place you can have a campfire on any of the Sierra National Forest OHV trails is Voyager Rock Campground, probably won't change until the end of October. Campfires are still alowed in the wilderness, so technically you could walk 300 feet from the center of the trail and make a campfire. Campfires might also be restricted in the wilderness by the time of your trip. They were last year, but I don't remember when that restriction started. :saw:
That's what I was told. Even with the storms that have hit (we got hammered at the staging area on the Tahoe side on Sunday), the ground is so dry it just sucks it up...couple days later you never knew it rained :(

81 - 100 of 138 Posts