TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the transomission from a 22re interchange with a 20r and if not will the bellhousing change?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yep, I've got a w 56 tranny out of an 87 runner 22re bolted to my 22r.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 5 speed w/ xfer case. Some guy a buddy of mine knows wants to buy it but isnt sure if it will work, so I said I would ask around and see.

·
Registered
224 Posts
transmissions will interchange but drive shaft lengths are different if i recall. 20r 4wd trans has a solid axle suspension and 22re 4wd trans is usally IFS. not always but usually.

·
Registered
241 Posts
neq0323 said:
transmissions will interchange but drive shaft lengths are different if i recall. 20r 4wd trans has a solid axle suspension and 22re 4wd trans is usally IFS. not always but usually.

The drive shaft lengths are different because the 84+ trannys are longer.
The x-member will need to be relocated a bit also.

The tranny does not know or care what kind of suspension the truck has. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
447 Posts
fourwd1 said:
The drive shaft lengths are different because the 84+ trannys are longer.
The x-member will need to be relocated a bit also.

The tranny does not know or care what kind of suspension the truck has. :rolleyes:
The tranny doesn't care but stock solid axle trucks have longer front driveshafts than IFS trucks, that's why he said they're different. Only some '84 and '84 trucks with the 22re will have this longer d-shaft because they still had the SFA. '86 and on 22re's have the short IFS front shaft.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey it will be okay cause I dont need my old shafts anymore so I can sell them to him too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
01taco4x4 said:
Will the transomission from a 22re interchange with a 20r and if not will the bellhousing change?
I am by far not a proffesional on this subject. but I have a '76 2x4 w/ 20r engine and the 5speed from a 22re truck. the only problem I ran into was that the crossmember didnt bolt up, it took a little fabrication to get it to work.

just my personal experience, I dont know if they are all the same way or not though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts