TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 4runner up and running with its frankenstein motor. I now have a 83' 22r block and bottom end, a head from a 83 celica 22re, and the stock FI from my 85 4runner. The parts are all well used but being that I am on a poor college kid budget it was all i culd afford. Any how I got it all pieced together and it actually runs pretty dam good...smokes a little....but i don't follow myself so it is ok. (it is not that bad and it mainly does it when i step on it). Anyhow the problem i have is it loses all oil pressure when it gets warm. When it is cold it has about 25 lbs at idle and 50-60 lbs under throttle. when warm i got a max of about 10lbs. My thought was the pump is bad but i figured i would get some other opinions. What do you all think????

·
Registered
779 Posts
I had the exact same problem in my 1992 22RE in my pickup! Its a sign of well worn bearings, I installed a brand new oil pump then shimmed the relief w/1/8" shim to increase the discharge relief pressure of the pump and started running heavier oil to help compensate for the increased bearing tolerances in my motor. This was at ~140,000 miles on the motor, I drove the truck daily and wheeled the truck and just sold it w/210,000 miles on it. I ran 20w50 in the motor year round even when I was living in Upper Michigan (Marquette) during the winter. The pump should cost less than $100 and should only take you a couple of hours to swap out. My oil pressure at a hot idle went from 10-15 to 25 to 30 hot, I'd highly reccomend a new pump and 20w50 Valvoline CONVENTINAL oil.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on my original re the pressure went hella high....and then the rod went through the block.....granted the rod was bent but.....you be the judge

·
Registered
779 Posts
My RE after I changed oil pumps would peg a 100 psi gauge on 100 cold if you drove it, then it had about 70-95 psi driving once it warmed up depending on the rpm range you were running it at, a lot of oil pressure is not a bad thing, the oil wedge is what heeps metal from touching metal.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$100....a couple hours to swap.....I have less than $300 in the entire motor and i can have the pan off in like 5 minutes ( there is nothing under it)...then the pump just unbolts....correct??? I was hoping the pump was only $20 or $30.....i thought about rolling in new bearings while the pan was off just for good measure.

·
Registered
779 Posts
You dont even have to pull the pan! The oil pump is on the front of the timing cover! Pull off the belts remove the balancer bolt, remove the balancer, unbolt the oil pump, keep track of which bolt goes where or you'll get yourself in trouble, remove the pump, reinstall new pump w/new o-ring, reinstall balancer and belts, and BAM good to go! I think the going price for a pump is about $65 bucks, thats what i paid for mine. But DO not pull the pan, you wont find the oil pump in there! :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
You ever work on the 4Runner again Fud? Just curious never heard back.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I oreder a pump last friday....went to get it saturday so i could put it in and the dam parts store forgot to place my order....so now i have to wait till this coming weakend to put it in.

·
Premium Member
13,516 Posts
If you get the pump in this weekend, are you going to try to come down to the Badlands on the 15th?

just wondering

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I highly doubt i will have the day off work.....i requested it but so did the guy i work with and he is a ass-kiss so he will probably get it.....i won't be able to bring the 4runner anyways as my tow rig is headed north that weakend...but if i do get the time off i am really thinking that i will be there in the taco :scared:

·
Registered
1980 hilux w/1985> 22r 5 speed
4 Posts
I had the exact same problem in my 1992 22RE in my pickup! Its a sign of well worn bearings, I installed a brand new oil pump then shimmed the relief w/1/8" shim to increase the discharge relief pressure of the pump and started running heavier oil to help compensate for the increased bearing tolerances in my motor. This was at ~140,000 miles on the motor, I drove the truck daily and wheeled the truck and just sold it w/210,000 miles on it. I ran 20w50 in the motor year round even when I was living in Upper Michigan (Marquette) during the winter. The pump should cost less than $100 and should only take you a couple of hours to swap out. My oil pressure at a hot idle went from 10-15 to 25 to 30 hot, I'd highly reccomend a new pump and 20w50 Valvoline CONVENTINAL oil.
Could you elaborate on how to shim the relief? I am having that same problem with a budget Frankenstein build. I have never seen one start at 45 to 50 psi cold and within 5 minutes drop to nothing with a full pan of oil. Starts bumping a Main or a rod bearing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts