TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive started looking for a new little commuter truck and one of my friends has a truck with the 22r in it and he wants to trade. I was wondering how well the little carbed engines are. I was also wondering if they are easy to build up like the 22re and if there is lots of performance parts for them.

Basically what im askin is should i get the 22r or wait and get a little truck with the 22re.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
not true, if it has a bigger carb it could have more power. the 22r and 22re are the same except the r is carb and the re, rec are electronically fuel injected so there are some advantages but for a d.d. i dont see the carb being that bad.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I LOVED my 22R. If it runs bad - it's your own damn fault, not some computer's! Admittedly, you have to tune it up regularly (timing, air/fuel, idle speed), but it only takes a few minutes.

Only bad thing is 'wheeling at extreme angles, but the Toy carbs do pretty well in that regard too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to own one so i know how the carb is as a dd. It was before my interest in making things go fast though so i dont know if they have a lot of performance goodies or not. Its two wheel drive so i dont think i need to worry about extreme angles unless out at the dunes in pismo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only advantage IMHO, is the EFI motors being able to run on the extreme angles. The carbureted motors have always been excellnt runners.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
the carbs are pretty good at angles... no efi though.... stock, power in the efi is a little better but not by much, like 10 hp.....

there are actually 2 versions of the 22r, the later versions 85+ were identical internally to the 22re other than a little cam grind -- and highly modification friendly

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think its an 87 or an 86, but i do know that they guy put a new 22r in it since the previous owners had killed it and he bought it for dirt cheap and just dropped a motor in.

Think ill have to go check this thing out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts