TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have an 88 Yota with the 22R EFI engine in it with the slushomatic(auto) behind it. I'm wanting to do some upgrades to gain some power. I'm figuring throwing in a Torker cam, LCE cam gear(to help time the engine if I need it with the cam), header, and exhaust.

For exhaust I'm figuring running 2" piping. Should I go with a bigger pipe? Say 2.25"? The truck currently has 2" from the cat back to the muffler and then 1.75" from the muffler to the tail pipe.

I want a deep sound(if its possible). No ricey sounds.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think 2.25" is good size for the exhaust pipe. I wouldn't go any larger. LCE has a lot of stuff. I just ordered their header for my truck (should be here on the 20th). Haven't used any of their parts yet, but they have a good reputation. I talked to their Tech staff. Really great to deal with and very helpful (my impression so far). Do you plan to do a custom exhaust or buy a catback?

·
Registered
106 Posts
If it gives you a CEL without the cat, you can get a Magnaflow high flow cat off of Ebay really cheap. I don't really know alot about the 22R, so I don't know if it will be an issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well on my 84 Yota I had a full custom exhaust(2.5") with no cat and a 40 series Flowmaster and never had a problem. But thats cause it was carbed.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've worked on a LOT of 22re's and pretty much have built everything from mild to wild. Here's what works and what is a waste...

Header, either a Downey or LC, must be a 1.5" diameter primaty tube, the 1 5/8 KILLS torque anywhere you can use it.

I've personally had really good luck with 2.5" exhaust, I like the way my Super 40 series Flowmaster sounded, as well as the magnaflow that I had. Some people prefer 2.25" I personally prefer the 2.5 myself it doesnt cost you any bottom end over the 2.25 and pulls like gang busters from 2800- redline.

LCE EFI-Pro Cam works amazing, as does the Clevite 229-2293 the clevite is a little milder than the EFI pro, and its what I currently have in my 87 and 88 22RE's. More power everywhere.

Factory Toyota Plug wires, cap and rotor. Makes a noticable seat of the pants difference in performance over cheap parts store crap.

New timing chain and gear set, as your old one wears it changes your cam timing and drastically hurts performance. Along the same lines, re adjust your valves.

A cone K&N also makes a large difference over the stock airbox, but doesnt work well in the woods at all.

On a side note you REALLY REALLY need to regear, atleast 5.29's if not 5.71's for those tires on an auto. The 5.71's would work best, and still be reasonable on the highway with your super high overdrive. Please regear it LoL! That will probably make the largest seat of the pants difference.

·
Registered
770 Posts
No cat on a 22re will not cause a MIL (check engine light). However it will not gain you any power over a high flow cat, and the lack of a cat will make whatever muffler you use much louder.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well 5.71s are out of the question. I'm tryin to be able to go high speed constantly if need be. So that is why I figured 4.88s.

·
Registered
770 Posts
USAFMike said:
Well 5.71s are out of the question. I'm tryin to be able to go high speed constantly if need be. So that is why I figured 4.88s.
4.88's wont even get you back to stock, not to mention overcoming the added weight of the tire...
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Assuming stock tires are a 225/75/15 Typical for nearly all toy's of this vintage and 4.10 gears

All stock RPM @ 65 3rd gear (drive) 3166
4th gear (OD) 2184

w/4.88's and 35's RPM @ 65 3rd gear (drive) 3045
4th gear (OD) 2101

Thats almost 100 rpm LESS than stock in OD and over 100 RPM less in 3rd gear! Not to mention the extra rotational mass (worth 3x static mass for acceleration purposes) and windage.

4th gear (OD) 2184

w/5.29's and 35's @ 65 3rd gear (drive) 3301
4th gear (OD) 2278

Getting closer, only 150 rpm more than stock in 3rd, still not quite in the power band at 65 mph in 3rd.

4th gear (OD) 2184

w/5.71's and 35's @ 65 3rd gear (drive) 3563
4th gear (OD) 2458

Now we're talking considering peak torque is 3600 of the 22re this is the money shot... The huge tire and killer overdrive still make it totally liveable on the highway too 5.71's 35's at 75 mph in od 2837 rpm, still under 3000 even at 75 mph...

I ran 5.29's w/my 5sp only because I didnt have the over drive nearly as steep as the auto to make it work on the highway with 5.71's.

·
Registered
770 Posts
EMPIRE said:
no cat, no problem. just get a O2 sim from urdusa.com

You DON'T need an o2 sim! There is no rear o2 to simulate! You will not get a check engine light by removing the cat, you will just pollute more and make more noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts