TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just need some help.

I Currently are busy with a Efi Mod on a 22 R motor. Now all is going well but I need to know.

1. Is the Egr valve needed?
2. Can one bypass the Egr Valve?

What I see if you look at the Egr vavle to head it goes with a short port through the back of the head, then throught the backplate on the rear of the head into the head again all the way to the manifold. Now here is the problem; this engine has a branch on it, it means the EGR valve will never actually work correct?

Also, the BVSV, VSV valves will not then send the correct signal to the OE Ecu?

Regards,
Louis

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
if you have to have smog where you live. you will need it. but i have heard of people removing the egr and using a block off plate with no issues.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The EGR is not a bad thing to have on your motor. They don't really rob power and they are designed to help economy.

I have a 22RE in my 1957 Land Rover and it is completely de-smogged, except for the EGR. All I did was trace the vacuum source back to wherever it came from and deleted any un-needed pieces along the way, like that big vacuum line rail. Now I only have two vacuum lines in the whole engine bay.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Block that shit off. :2cents:

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Elaborate. :confused:
I told my tech guy to get in here and explain. He's going to be able to do a better job explaining it than I can.

But the short version is, the EGR helps cool the combustion gasses. If you plug the EGR, you can get a pinging on part throttle and/or a hesitation on part throttle acceleration. A lot of shops don't diagnose this problem properly and end up retarding the timing, when all they need to do is clear the crap out of the EGR system.

This isn't the case on all engines, but definitely on engines like the 22RE and late 70's/early 80's Chevy small blocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts