TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have swapped in the whole EFI setup from an 874runner SR5 into my 84' pickup, I got the entire engine harness, intake/plenup and accessories, MAF box/tube, manifold with o2, Dash harness and fuel tank.

I have swapped everything to my 84' everything went on just fine, I still have not tapped my block for the knock sensor but I plan on it soon. I removed the A/C wiring from the engine harness and that is all.

I plan on mounting my tank up against the cab so I extended the fuel pump wiring for the pump and level sensor and soldered all my connections with heat shrink.

So yesterday I put the battery in, put a little gas in the tank and turned the key. Nothing happened so I noticed that the check engine light or any of the lights on the gauge cluster didn't come on which doesn't make sense. I swapped in the SR5 cluster from the 4runner to my truck.

So I wired my starter on a push button switch after this yesterday and it would turn over, But my fuel pump is not turning on. I checked all my fuses and everything was good.

What controls the fuel pump on these systems? Any body have any input for me. I don't even know where to start with this.

I would like to have a stand alone style harness but I don't know who can build me one or have I seen a write up on it..

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Get your mulit-meter out and start checking for power to the pump and start tracking backwards from there. You'll need the FSM and schematic too.
That's no small swap you've done so there's bound to be a gremlin in there somewhere.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get your mulit-meter out and start checking for power to the pump and start tracking backwards from there. You'll need the FSM and schematic too.
That's no small swap you've done so there's bound to be a gremlin in there somewhere.

Good luck with it!
Yea, that's what I figured I'm going to have to start doing soon. Does anyone know if the wiring diagrams on mitchell or Alldata are any count?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can email you the FSM for either an 85 or an 88, the 88 FSM is 84meg, the 85 is 59meg. The fuel pump is controlled by a couple of things. First of all, the main EFI relay in the kick panel fuse block. Also you need the Circuit Opening Relay (COR), this relay is triggered from the AFM detecting when the engine is sucking air. You can bypass the COR by putting a jumper between Fp and B+ in the diagnostic connector on the passenger side under the hood, right near the fuse box. Putting this jumper in should turn the fuel pump on when ignition is on. If you don't hear it with that jumper in, then your EFI fuse must be blown or you have a gremlin as TRoss said.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
There's on line fsm's on 4x4 wire... and yotatech has links as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can email you the FSM for either an 85 or an 88, the 88 FSM is 84meg, the 85 is 59meg. The fuel pump is controlled by a couple of things. First of all, the main EFI relay in the kick panel fuse block. Also you need the Circuit Opening Relay (COR), this relay is triggered from the AFM detecting when the engine is sucking air. You can bypass the COR by putting a jumper between Fp and B+ in the diagnostic connector on the passenger side under the hood, right near the fuse box. Putting this jumper in should turn the fuel pump on when ignition is on. If you don't hear it with that jumper in, then your EFI fuse must be blown or you have a gremlin as TRoss said.

I can hear the COR click when I turn my key, I did not know the EFI main relay was in the pass. side kick panel so I'm gonna check that out in the morning. I got the FSM from cztheman so I'm gonna look through the 1000 pages..

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can hear the COR click when I turn my key, I did not know the EFI main relay was in the pass. side kick panel so I'm gonna check that out in the morning. I got the FSM from cztheman so I'm gonna look through the 1000 pages..
Also, what my mind was thinking, my fingers did not type...Check the 15amp EFI fuse and also check the EFI relay, both of which are in the kick panel fuse block. The PO on my truck had removed the EFI relay and bypassed it with a wire stuck into the fuse block terminals. The wire crumbled and the fuel pump would not run, took me a while to figure that one out. So, yeah, check the relay and the fuse. Also, just because the COR relay clicks, doesn't mean there is good continuity, here is a neat link to some info on it http://www.yotatech.com/f131/video-cheap-fix-mod-cor-252680/

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts