TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am rebuilding a 22RE out of my 86 4runner for the second time. The first go around, I only got 400 miles out of it before it wiped out the bottom end again. When I tore it apart, I noticed something with the head gasket. There are water jackets between the cylinders in th block. The headgasket the machine shop gave me didn't have holes in the head gasket for these water jackets (see below photo). The new gasket I just bought from Autozone is the same way. Is this how they are supposed to be? I want to to be certain before I put it back together again. I also noticed that the holes in the gasket for the water jackets on the outside of the cylinders are much smaller than the water jackets themselves.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If this is your second time rebuilding the engine, don't cheap out on the headgasket. Go to the dealer and get the best head gasket for these trucks. The quality is so much higher than the felpro gasket autozone sells. Each hole in the gasket is outlined with a metal ring that will seal the head correctly.

The additional 40 bucks for a good gasket is peanuts in the grand scheme of the build. ;)

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I really thought more people on here rebuilt their own motors. I did go down to the Toyota garage and order a head gasket from them. They didn't know if the holes are supposed to be there either. I just find it odd that there are passages in the block and corresponding passages in the head yet the head gasket blocks them off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts