TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my project 4runner back today, I had the head redone due to burnt valves, and I reassembled, then took to mechanic to have him double check my work, set the valves and all that good stuff, well all that has been done and when i got it back to my shop it hesitates under 2000 rpm and once above that rpm it straightens right out, and the odd part is it even idles good, no check engine light and it is working, I dont understand, when i got it to the shop it hesitated through out the entire rpm band, and I figured it was the timing even though I was told it was check so I moved the distributor and it went to the current situation, and the distributor does not have any more room for adjustment, I am beginning to think that the chain is a tooth off, help me people

·
Registered
64 Posts
BSMI16490 said:
I got my project 4runner back today, I had the head redone due to burnt valves, and I reassembled, then took to mechanic to have him double check my work, set the valves and all that good stuff, well all that has been done and when i got it back to my shop it hesitates under 2000 rpm and once above that rpm it straightens right out, and the odd part is it even idles good, no check engine light and it is working, I dont understand, when i got it to the shop it hesitated through out the entire rpm band, and I figured it was the timing even though I was told it was check so I moved the distributor and it went to the current situation, and the distributor does not have any more room for adjustment, I am beginning to think that the chain is a tooth off, help me people
It's easy to check if the chain is off...just pull the valve cover. Are you sure the time is on? I would re-check that with a light. Maybe a valve out of adjustment?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am beginning to think the same things, I just dont know where to begin

·
Registered
64 Posts
BSMI16490 said:
i am beginning to think the same things, I just dont know where to begin
Easiest thing is to check the timing with a light. That will tell you if the distributor is off a tooth. If I remember right, the adjuster on the distributor should be right in the middle or close to when the timing is on. From there, move on to checking the chain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like the distributor is off a tooth. If you ran out of adjustment, remove the bolt that holds the distributor in and then you can rotate it further.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts