TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's some pics on the progress of a 7MGE swap I'm currently working on. It's going into a 1985 2wd EFi that I had been putting around with an Engnbldr 22re that ran good, but left a lot to be desired when the skinny pedal met the floorboard. I was originally going to purchase a japanese import engine to start, but ended up finding a complete 1987 Supra with expired tags for $400. I pulled the engine and replaced the pistons & rings along with the rod/main bearings, and had a valve job / resurfaced on the top end. I'll add more to the thread as i move along further...:D

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Damn this thing is clean! Keep up the good work. I'm currently swapping the 7MGTE into my crawler, should be a blast.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow, thats a clean engine! I'm almost done a 5MGE swap into my 88 4runner :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the compliments guys! I want to post more pics but i can't seem to figure out how to add any more (It says I've exceeded my limit??). If anyone can help me out with this I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn this thing is clean! Keep up the good work. I'm currently swapping the 7MGTE into my crawler, should be a blast.
I bet that thing is going to be a beast! I was contemplating a turbo, but an NA Supra came up for sale that I couldn't pass up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:eek: I read the Newb section and figured out the pic issue....:D

I installed new pigtails and reloomed the engine wiring harness..

Then i set the engine in the compartment to see how things would fit, and where i would apply some BFH clearancing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew that pusher fans would be the only option, so i bought a couple 12" fans and mounted them up using some flat stock. I drilled & tapped the fan mounting holes to avoid damaging the radiator with protruding nuts.

I initially tried using a Griffin three row radiator for a Chevy engine i had left over from a Landcruiser V8 swap, but the crank pulley was too close for comfort

Ended up getting an aluminum radiator on Ebay for a 240SX that should be large enough to handle the heat generated. Here's a pic of it mocked up to allow me to weld a couple of "L" brackets to the frame

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looking good! Post some vids when you get it running.

I'm hoping to get some puller fans in there but it may not be very possible. I'm worried I won't be able to get a prefab bumper to fit with a winch on it because of the intercooler mounting situation. If I add pusher fans it will make it worse.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking good! Post some vids when you get it running.

I'm hoping to get some puller fans in there but it may not be very possible. I'm worried I won't be able to get a prefab bumper to fit with a winch on it because of the intercooler mounting situation. If I add pusher fans it will make it worse.
You might consider using a top mount intercooler like the ones used on a Subaru WRX and Acura RDX. They'll provide the room for pusher fans while still cooling the intake charge. It also simplifies all the turbo plumbing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
What are you planning on doing for your air intake? The guy who had this truck previous to me (did most of the swap and suspension) put an open air intake sitting right above the headers... So it overheats if I do any sort of wheeling with it, and gets really hot just putting around. I'm thinking about putting a snorkel on the truck to get cold air in there, not sure how I'm gonna do it yet because I have dual batteries, and they are in the front corners where the stock airbox goes.
Nice work so far, it's looking good :D I put dual 10" fans on the front, they fit in almost perfect with the mounting stuff the kit came with.
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188093 That's my thread if you're interested. About 3/4 down the first page has some shots of the engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice truck Ringwraith! I used the original Supra piping and resonator to the AFM, then modified the original Downey air filter adapter from my 22RE to fit. you can also use an HKS AFM adapter to install a cone filter and possibly use on of those Spectre pipes they sell at Autozone/Pep Boys/O'Reilly's to extend it past the exhaust.... On a side note i fired that badboy up today!!! It's still missing the exhaust, but all the wiring and fuel is sorted out..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts