TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of a new project i have a 22re that could use a rebuild ( with a 22rte rebuild master kit ) i was thinking of building it with a intercooler and turbo yes i know i could put a small block or a v6 in my truck but what is the fun in that. what i was thinking of a mild build 10psi of boost with megasquirt (street truck) have some of the parts (have some turbos from dsm cars stock turbo a few 16gs both small and big and maybe a 18g if it is there)( i will prob. be building header) just have to get them together so what i am asking have any of you drove a 22rte with mods and the boost up a little and how was the power and i am also asking if you think one of them turbo would be ok i an trying not to buy a t3/t4 if i have to i will i have had a few turbo cars and loved them but never a turbo 4x4 truck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
how would you go about picking a turbo for a remote turbo like the sts if you build it yourself just an idea

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jessevic said:
it is that on my 85 i will be going with a t3/t4 but i am getting a beat up 85 to use as a trail truck and i have a few dsm turbos and a few others so i was thinking of trying something a little diff.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
jessevic said:
?? I don't understand....

I have a turbo on my trail truck. It works fine. Though its in the factory location, and not remote mounted. If it was... it would be in pieces!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wgasa84 said:
?? I don't understand....

I have a turbo on my trail truck. It works fine. Though its in the factory location, and not remote mounted. If it was... it would be in pieces!

it is that i would like to turbo my trail truck and will be rebuilding the 22re with a 22rte master kit and a 22rte cam ..i would just like to try it just to see if i can get it to work if not i will put it up front prob, will before it is over but i would lik eto know if it can be done to work good. i may just put the motor on my friends test stand to play around with diff. turbos remote mounted i would like to try it just for fun but if i were to put it on the truck it would be were the right under the front of bed not all the way in the back it is just an idea to play around with

·
Registered
514 Posts
Id go check out LCEngineering theyve got 22re up the ying-yang. Id get forged everything drop the compression to 8:1 and boost through the roof!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Years ago I had a stock 87 turbo with a body lift and 33's on it, and a friend of mine had an 86 turbo, also on 33's with an adjustable wastegate, full 2.5 inch exhaust and a NWOR turbo specific cam. Otherwise it was totally stock. But he could get it up to 12 pounds of boost, and I believe stock was 6lbs. Well, he could outrun me, but not by much. Off road you couldn't tell the difference. About the same time all the mods were done to the 86, another friend of ours put a 350 in his 85 and smoked us both, very, very, very badly. If this is a street truck, keeping it all toyota with a built turbo motor would be cool. But with the right gears, a normally aspirated 22re with a cam, some head work, and a header can go great, and it's a lot easier, and cheaper than building a turbo motor. If you are thinking about a motor swap for a gm motor, add up all the parts that you think you need, then double it. Thats about what I have found it generally costs to do a motor swap on a toyota.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMWTACO said:
Years ago I had a stock 87 turbo with a body lift and 33's on it, and a friend of mine had an 86 turbo, also on 33's with an adjustable wastegate, full 2.5 inch exhaust and a NWOR turbo specific cam. Otherwise it was totally stock. But he could get it up to 12 pounds of boost, and I believe stock was 6lbs. Well, he could outrun me, but not by much. Off road you couldn't tell the difference. About the same time all the mods were done to the 86, another friend of ours put a 350 in his 85 and smoked us both, very, very, very badly. If this is a street truck, keeping it all toyota with a built turbo motor would be cool. But with the right gears, a normally aspirated 22re with a cam, some head work, and a header can go great, and it's a lot easier, and cheaper than building a turbo motor. If you are thinking about a motor swap for a gm motor, add up all the parts that you think you need, then double it. Thats about what I have found it generally costs to do a motor swap on a toyota.
well i have had a few 22re's with cam gears headers and loved them off road but onroad i always needed a little more power was thinking of a 4.3 swap but after a friend gave it to me he had a shop fire and to keep it short that motor is no longer with us haha! i know building a turbo motor is not cheap but i have always looked for a turbo truck but never found one i liked. i built a turbo motor a few years back but not a toyota and since then my brother has been on me to build one because i told him the next time i build one he can help so if i build one it may as well be one i can put in my truck because i have been thinking of rebuilding the 22re that is in my truck not looking for a race truck but something with a little more get up and go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
pettry
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing