TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 88' Toyota Pick-up with 240k (about 8k on the motor) w/ a 5sp.

The Problem- The motor idles low when you start it at about 600 rpm's. I adjusted the idler screw to where it runs a 750 rpm's. If I hit the brakes sometime's it idles down to 450 rpm's then back up to about 700 rpm's like it is camming.(the vaccum in the intake is 15 normally) when you hit the brakes and it starts camming it drops to 12 and jumps back and forth.
What I have done- I tried to plug the power brake booster thinking that it might be bad. It did fix the problem that I was having with my brake pedal, but not my idle problem.
What I have replaced- I changed the Thottle Position Sensor, Air Flow Meter, Coil, and the plugs, wires, cap and Rotay button are practicly new
I don't think that it has to do with the fuel injection. I think that it has to do with the vaccum system but I can't find any leaks. Anyone have any Idea's?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Get some starter fluid and spray it on all the vacum lines, around the intake gaskets, valve cover and anywhere else there might be a leak. You engine will rev up a bit when you find it. And your engine will be a bit cleaner to boot! :kewl:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the starter fluid and found no vaccum leaks. I did find a broken wire in the Air Supply Valve. So, I fixed that. But, the truck is doing the same think. Any other ideas???? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Is it throwing any codes? There are so many things to check when this crap happens it sucks! Start simple I guess, is your timing set right? Cause if your engine is revving up and down when you hit the brakes, that means your CPU thinks its idling too high and its cutting the gas the same as it would if you hit the breaks at speed. Do you have a FSM? I have an electronic one I send you if you like. It has saved me alot, just sucks working your way through the troubleshooting...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
327 Posts
When you adjusted the idle the first time to 750rpm was the engine at operating temp or was it still warming up?

Check for codes, also check the rubber elbows on the main air intake to the throttle body from the AFM. I have had a couple of those bastards get brittle and crack on me causing a really rough idle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No I do not have a FSM. If I set that idle low the motor will Idle at about 450 rpm's. Also, I set the idle after the motor is warmed up. I checked the elbows in-between the AFM and the intake no problems there. I am going to run the codes today and will get back to you guys. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got done trying to check the codes. I didn't get any codes not even the code that says every thing is nomal. Any Ideas???

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Did the light do anything??? Did you jumper the right connection? And what about the timing?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Called you Brad, left message...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I missed your call my wife and I went to get something to eat. Didn't get you message til about 10:50. I will give you a call tomorrow evening. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts