TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive done a little searching on this. I am interested in making my 22re into a 22rte. I would assume the blocks are the same. I figure all I need is the wiring harness and the ecm? I know some of the smaller stuff I need but will I also need to change out my transmission in doing this? As if I really need another project.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Off the top of my head, I can think of:

bigger injectors
forged pistons/rods (if you're not staying at stock power)
intercooler or else (damn Toyota)
turbo trans are 23 spline input
heavier clutch, maybe different flywheel?
better radiator
holes in hood
boost controller/wastegate stuff
good gauges to keep an eye on engine stuff
2 big bottles of NOS
tuning if you want it to run right and last longer than that Chinese turbo

and money to burn

So here are my questions:

stock turbo, or bigger Toyota turbo or ??
any specific power goal?
does this mean you'll have an exhaust?
are you insane?

:D

·
Registered
3,987 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've wheeled with guys with v8 swaps . V6 swaps . Diesel motors and all kinds of crazy things they throw In their rigs ...... That white truck with the turbo was the coolest . Really got me thinking about doing the upgrade . But my truck only has 76,000 on the original motor , and I am a strong believer in don't fix it if it ain't broke!!!!! I'm leaning more towards building a extra cab s10 and just throw my yota axles and duals under it !!!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Ive done a little searching on this. I am interested in making my 22re into a 22rte. I would assume the blocks are the same. I figure all I need is the wiring harness and the ecm? I know some of the smaller stuff I need but will I also need to change out my transmission in doing this? As if I really need another project.
IIRC, toyota ran a lower compression head on the RTE, to keep folks from blowing stuff up, but you should be able to keep the RE head and just not boost the hell out of it.

And, no, your transmission will be fine. Again, just recognize the extra power, and drive accordingly.

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

bigger injectors
forged pistons/rods (if you're not staying at stock power)
intercooler or else (damn Toyota)
turbo trans are 23 spline input
heavier clutch, maybe different flywheel?

:D
the turbo transmissions have the exact same input as the W56 on the non turbo trucks, its the same block and crankshaft, AFAIK. They do have a 23 spline output. Hence the turbo gear drive transfers having a 23 spline input.

No need for a different flywheel really, but a heavy duty clutch may be a good choice.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
http://www.22rte-trucks.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/655220-22rte-conversion.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/3756962660.html

Stock trans = W56, right? Maybe, maybe not... get a clutch that fits the trans you have and a disc that's rated for moar powa. Turbo clutches won't fit N/A trannies... 21 vs 23 splines and all that.

Exhaust? Through the hood, problem solved.
No, the W56 will be fine. But I do like the exhuast through the hood. That would be badass. Or stacks coming out behind the doors.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i thought that your rig was a tow queen and did not hit the street often, and that you are running leafs. why the need for more power, speed, and complications?

just curious....

·
#1 cruiser
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep its a trailer queen and never sees the streets. I also run leafs. Not sure why that matters. I just like the idea of the turbo setup after watching it at chinamans. Im not sure Im going to do it, just toying with the idea. Ive had the turbo manifold in my garage for a few years and I wonder if im ever going to use it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Forrest's truck, that white one from chinaman, has been a tempermental from the word go. But now that he's got it all figures our its not bad. If you are serious about the swap I'd talk to him and jeremiah (dirtco). Between them there is a pretty good amount if rte knowledge. Also if you could talk to the guy that owns/drives the in the pink racing buggy. We talked to him last year at the jambo a while and he made a rte on propane. He seemed to have some decent knowledge too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts