TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get some BFG AT's in 235/85/16's and Im just wondering at full flex if I'll have rubbing issues.

I dont think i will from all i've read, but I could be wrong. Im going with this size because 1. they're cheaper 2. they give me the most ground clearance without a lift w/out rubbing 3. I just like them.

So go or no go?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I doubt you'll rub on a tire that skinny. To be honest though, I would never run something that skinny on one of these trucks. Even the regular cab.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Less contact patch on the road = less grip

Higher center of gravity + less grip = higher chance of rollover

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They arent THAT much narrower than 245's (which is what I have now).

Plus i've heard they're great in snow.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
245 is the absolute minimum tire I would ever run.

I would never run it off road. This isn't a Suzuki samurai you bought... there is a weight difference.

255/85-16 is a LOT more commonly used.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you're saying that BFG AT 10ply load range E tires are going to fold like pancakes under the insane weight of my Reg cab tacoma.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I put this 235/85 BFG's on my 4runner for the exact same reasons you are.

I am very happy with my decision. They are slightly on the skinny side, but they ride and handle great. I believe I have them aired at 50 psi.

I have not been able to get them to rub anywhere.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
So you're saying that BFG AT 10ply load range E tires are going to fold like pancakes under the insane weight of my Reg cab tacoma.
Nope, I never said that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've been running 235/85-16 E's for a few years now and they are great on these trucks. Snow and ice were the reason I tried them, but they have proven to be good tires for all sorts of conditions. I run mine on stock wheels with 1" spacers which widens the track a bit and also gives plenty of clearance for chains. I lived for over a year 4 miles up a mountain road that had 57 hair pin corners in it. The tires handled that fine, and I am not a slow driver. One bit of advise I would give is to not over pressure the tires. I run 36 in mine empty. Fully loaded I run 40-45.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
fuck that . to skinny my fuckin ass. they came stock on 1ton trucks for years with no damn problems being to skinny. ive ran skinny and wide tires and bet you 1000 bucks the rear end will slide out with a wider tire before it will with a narrower tire of the same tread. less contact yes, but a hell of a lot more pressure on that spot. i barely spun my 235's and my 12.5's were a bitch to keep from roasting. dont talk out your ass if youve never ran something dont give advice on it! RANT OVER

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
fuck that . to skinny my fuckin ass. they came stock on 1ton trucks for years with no damn problems being to skinny. ive ran skinny and wide tires and bet you 1000 bucks the rear end will slide out with a wider tire before it will with a narrower tire of the same tread. less contact yes, but a hell of a lot more pressure on that spot. i barely spun my 235's and my 12.5's were a bitch to keep from roasting. dont talk out your ass if youve never ran something dont give advice on it! RANT OVER
Bitch please.

I could argue with you over this, but it's not even worth my fucking time.

I gave my :2cents:, if you don't like it, give yours. Otherwise, shut the fuck up.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Bitch please.

I could argue with you over this, but it's not even worth my fucking time.

I gave my :2cents:, if you don't like it, give yours. Otherwise, shut the fuck up.
i dont like it thats why i gave mine so why dont you shut the fuck up? you even admitted that you would never run a tire that skinny so you have no experience with them. your opinion sucks like your fat wife on a butter covered corn cob!

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think people imagine they wouldn't work because they run C rated tires. C rated tires squirm a lot. If the 235s were C rated they may well be a disaster in the handling dept. The E rated construction though gives them a very strong carcass. The 235/85-16 is a great tire.

Forum parroted bullshit about E rated tires kept me from running them for a while too. Same story about them being rough riding yadda yadda yadda. Pretty much all the result of people running too damn much pressure, and not the fault of the tire at all.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Three things for the skinny tire hater here:

1) 235/85 vs stock 245 : The contact patch may be thinner, but is actually longer since the tire has a greater circumference, so the contact patch is probably close to the same in square centimeters, could even be larger.

2) As Sas stated, you have more pressure on that smaller contact patch vs a wider tire, which can be beneficial for various reasons. Believe it or not, a wider tire does not always = better traction (adhesion).

3) There are plenty of similar rigs, Tacomas, Runners and FJs, successfully running 235/85s on and offroad.

To the OP, you should not have any issues rubbing with that size tire. I say GO!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
235/85/16 should work every bit as well as a 255/85/16 would...

except... it's kinda short...
and girls think they're a feminine tire :p

But David only has 'is doggies,
sooo... I doubt that they give a shit what tire he has :D

I say do 295's...
because nothing should bolt up that easy. :2cents:
or... 35's so's ya can fix yer junk often :D

meh... screw 'dat new Toyota junk anyways :flipoff4:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So they'll fit just fine? Awesome. BFG AT KO's in 235/85/16 coming soon....

·
Registered
366 Posts
bfg at should be available in 255/85/16, id be all over that.
Definitely wish there were more options in the 255/85 size.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts