TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '01 Tacoma Extracab 4x4 that is having Donahoe's and 9 leaf Deaver's put on by Demelllo Offroad.

I am thinking of putting the 255/85/R16's on (33.1" x 10"). I figure I will get height and save some gas milage over tires 12.5" wide.

Does anyone know if these will fit on the stock TRD 16" rims? I'm not sure what the backspacing is.

How much do you figure gas milage will go down from stock with these 10" wide tires?

Here is a link with a Tacoma with these tires:
http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/default.aspx?f=12&m=7253&p=5

TIA,
Steve
(Travel Nursing in Van Nuys CA)

·
Registered
369 Posts
How much lift will you have if you have around 3" you might be ok just a bump every now and then. They will fit your rims.

·
Registered
134 Posts
would a 305/70r16 fit on stock 04 rims with 5" of lift?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Live4yotas, I'll keeping it at around 2.5 inches of suspension lift.

I have a V6, I wonder if it will need to be regeared with the skinnier but taller tires. I'm going to dig around on the internet and try to find the weight differences of the different tires.

I was checking out the link I posted above again. The owner states he put them on his stock truck and did experiemce some monor rubbing, but it sounded easily correctable. He has 4" backspacing though.

Here is another link to the Expedition West truck:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/255-85/25585R16BFGMTKMs/index.html

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, my 265/75 fit just fione, all stock. I think I could get away with a skinny 33, if I regeared. Like what happened to that guy, just rubbed the frame and the plastic over the pinch weld. I'm lifting the front 2" to level it out, so I bet that would give me plenty of room then!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah as long as you have a rim that hugs in close to the truck I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
369 Posts
What is that size in inches I don't run metric size tires. Is that a 35" tall tire if so on stock rims with 5" of lift will be ok as long as the tires arent to wide and hit your upper arms. You will have to stay with your stock rims for backspacing reasons if you go with a rim with less backspacing meaning it will stick out futher you will most diffently will hit. It will be close but I think you'll be ok. My cousin runs 33x12.50 x-terrians on 15x10's with 3 5/8 backspacing and clears with 5" of lift.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mileage and power will decrease due to the gearing being changed as well as increased rolling resistance. They should not rub with that setup, whereas the 285 75r16's would rub off-road. The final gearing has nothing to due with the width...

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Trvlngnrs said:
I have a '01 Tacoma Extracab 4x4 that is having Donahoe's and 9 leaf Deaver's put on by Demelllo Offroad.

I am thinking of putting the 255/85/R16's on (33.1" x 10"). I figure I will get height and save some gas milage over tires 12.5" wide.

Does anyone know if these will fit on the stock TRD 16" rims? I'm not sure what the backspacing is.

How much do you figure gas milage will go down from stock with these 10" wide tires?

Here is a link with a Tacoma with these tires:
http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/default.aspx?f=12&m=7253&p=5

TIA,
Steve
(Travel Nursing in Van Nuys CA)
with only 3" of lift they will rub the pinch weld area as well as the upper inner fender plastic at full compression. They will also rub the frame rails on turns.
Can you run them on OE rims? yes but w/o less backspacing they will tag the frame pretty good. I wouldn't try them with less than 3" though. If you are only going to run 2.5" you should stick with 32s (265/75s) on stock rims. Regearing will probably not be necessary with the smaller tires where those 33.1" meats will require regearing unless you don't mind a serious power and mpg loss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I was planning on running the 267/75's (32") but after I saw the skinny 255/85's (33") tires, I figured I'd throw it out here to see what you all thought. I think I'll stick with plan A for now.

It should still be a lot of fun after Demello Offroad gets done with it:)

Steve

·
Registered
598 Posts
The 265 75r16's are definitely a better choice until you are ready to regear...

Heck, by the time you wear those tires out, you should be ready!

Look forward to seeing you on the trails. Are you going to be in SOCAL long enough to come wheeling with us?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
calamaridog said:
The 265 75r16's are definitely a better choice until you are ready to regear...

Heck, by the time you wear those tires out, you should be ready!

Look forward to seeing you on the trails. Are you going to be in SOCAL long enough to come wheeling with us?
Yeah, and when I wear the 32's out, I'll have saved enough money to buy the 255's and regear too!!

Unfortunately, we are only going to be in SoCal until the end of March. We live in a 41' diesel motorhome and drive around the country working at different hospitals for 13 week assignments. Our next job may be in Martha's Vineyard (MA) or the Grand Tetons (WY).

Steve
(Travel Nursing in ICU at Sherman Oaks, CA)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Sounds too cool. I vote for Grand Tetons ("big tits", named so by a horny french trapper). Nothing beats the snake river area during the winter for beauty! COLD though.

Are you flat towing the Taco? Or trailer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
>Are you flat towing the Taco?

I'm in the process of setting it up to flat tow. I just finished installing the tow brackets. If it ever stops raining I'll finish wiring up the brakes:) One bad thing about living in a motorhome is you lose your garage:-(

Steve
('01 Taco, Soon to be at Demello's)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey all :D

Here is the straight scoop on these tires (since I am running them). I think I was one of the first to go this route and have learned a bunch along the way.

#1: They will fit on stock wheels and without a lift, but major trimming is required. The lift is not what makes these tire fit anyway. Here is a picture of my truck with the tires on stock suspension, but lots of trimming:
http://expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/255-85/25585R16BFGMTKMs/DSC01942.html

#2: Problems- The real issues are rubbing at the rear of the back wheel well and the need to regear. The Deavers cured the rear rubbing by relocating the spring center bolt forward by about .5". I also needed to do the pinch weld mod, trim plastic covers at the front and rear of the forward wheel well, weld stops to the a-arms to prevent frame rubbing and change the fender bolts to flat screws and tapered washers. These tires are much taller than a standard 33. This picture shows the 255/85 next to my Jeeps 33" tire of the same manufacturer (it is over an inch taller)-

Regearing. The tall tire really affects the truck at highway speeds and on climbs, requiring my to run all but the flat roads in 3rd gear (automatic). I am going to regear soon to 4.88 or 5.29...

#3: Lift- I am running my Donahoe coil-overs at 1.75" over stock and the Deavers set the truck at 1.5" over stock with a load, pretty much leveling the truck.

There are a lot of advantages of a narrower tire IMO, like lest rolling resistance, easier fitment, better contact pressure, etc. Of course the big downside is on soft sand, or where flotation is required.

Hope this helps a little :)

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
expeditionswest said:
Hey all :D

Here is the straight scoop on these tires (since I am running them). I think I was one of the first to go this route and have learned a bunch along the way.

#1: They will fit on stock wheels and without a lift, but major trimming is required. The lift is not what makes these tire fit anyway. Here is a picture of my truck with the tires on stock suspension, but lots of trimming:
#2: Problems- The real issues are rubbing at the rear of the back wheel well and the need to regear. The Deavers cured the rear rubbing by relocating the spring center bolt forward by about .5". I also needed to do the pinch weld mod, trim plastic covers at the front and rear of the forward wheel well, weld stops to the a-arms to prevent frame rubbing and change the fender bolts to flat screws and tapered washers. These tires are much taller than a standard 33. This picture shows the 255/85 next to my Jeeps 33" tire of the same manufacturer (it is over an inch taller)-

Regearing. The tall tire really affects the truck at highway speeds and on climbs, requiring my to run all but the flat roads in 3rd gear (automatic). I am going to regear soon to 4.88 or 5.29...

#3: Lift- I am running my Donahoe coil-overs at 1.75" over stock and the Deavers set the truck at 1.5" over stock with a load, pretty much leveling the truck.

There are a lot of advantages of a narrower tire IMO, like lest rolling resistance, easier fitment, better contact pressure, etc. Of course the big downside is on soft sand, or where flotation is required.

Hope this helps a little :)
wow, they look great. do you have any pics of what you had to trim?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the write-up Scott, it helps a bunch. I'm sure a lot of people thinking of larger tires will learn from your post.

I think these are the perfect tires for me, unfortunately I can't afford the tires and regearing for awhile, as I'm spending 2 grand on the suspension tomorrow:)

Thanks again
Steve
(About to be in the poor house)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Trvlngnrs said:
I think these are the perfect tires for me, unfortunately I can't afford the tires and regearing for awhile, as I'm spending 2 grand on the suspension tomorrow:)
You are going to love the suspension. I am so happy with the ride of my truck now.

Regarding the trimming, I do have some pictures and will dig them up to post.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would love to get some Deavers and Hoes but all in due time. Maybe after my next deployment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts