TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Seems kind of small. I have read that some 16s will not even fit on tha fj (brake calliper). Although the trd edition rims are 16s tho. Correct me if I am wrong on this. Isn't the stock wheel size 265/70R17, not sure why you would want a narrower tire!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oilsandsfj said:
Seems kind of small. I have read that some 16s will not even fit on tha fj (brake calliper). Although the trd edition rims are 16s tho. Correct me if I am wrong on this. Isn't the stock wheel size 265/70R17, not sure why you would want a narrower tire!
The OEM wheels are 17's and the TRD optional's are 16's. As far as narrower goes, I've been happy with narrower in the past (30x9.50/15 on the 86 4Runner was my fav.) After reading about the Taco owners happiness with 255/85R16 thought I'd check it out since I want to run 33's. Just wondering how they might rub since I know the 33x12.50's do.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the stock 17 rims, when I went to kaltire I tired to get 33x12.5 on and they said they would not mount the 12.5 on a 8inch rim. So I settled for 285/70 and I have yet to see them rub. I think the biggest challage would be to find a 16" rim that will fit around the caliper. Oh yea, Im I also have the AP coilovers cranked to about 2.5, and spacers in the rear, about the same lift as you im guessing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
fjcruzer said:
I've seen a boatload of info on 255/85R16 on Tacos. Anyone got info on how they fit the FJ with an OME lift?

They will fit fine with a lift. There are a couple of guys running them over at the Blue Room. They have some pics, if you want to search.

The 255/85R16 BFG MT is one of my favorite tires of all time. Ran many sets of them on my trucks. There are a few 16" wheels that will work on the FJ. I know Sbectold is running some Steel 16's. Pro Comp Rock Krawlers I think.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20Montana said:
They will fit fine with a lift. There are a couple of guys running them over at the Blue Room. They have some pics, if you want to search.

The 255/85R16 BFG MT is one of my favorite tires of all time. Ran many sets of them on my trucks. There are a few 16" wheels that will work on the FJ. I know Sbectold is running some Steel 16's. Pro Comp Rock Krawlers I think.
Thanks Montana found exactly the answer I was lookin for:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=648447

Time to start shoppin'...:D

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sbechtold said:
Montana is correct. I run 16x8 Procomp Rock Crawler Series 87 wheels. Here is all the information on them.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=598104
Thanks! Where did you pick those up? I'm searching, but have only gotten up to 4.25 backspacing. And I don't suppose you know if the series 97 clears as well?? Thanks in advance folks!

·
Registered
758 Posts
fjcruzer said:
Thanks! Where did you pick those up? I'm searching, but have only gotten up to 4.25 backspacing. And I don't suppose you know if the series 97 clears as well?? Thanks in advance folks!
I ordered them through a local America's Tire store. You can also go to www.wheelersoffroad.com and order the wheels as they are the same. The series 97 wheels won't clear the brake caliper w/o a small wheel spacer. In my other post I included the part number (for the 87 series) that I ordered.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sbechtold said:
I ordered them through a local America's Tire store. You can also go to www.wheelersoffroad.com and order the wheels as they are the same. The series 97 wheels won't clear the brake caliper w/o a small wheel spacer. In my other post I included the part number (for the 87 series) that I ordered.
Thanks again! Must be super-secret since none of the other sites I tried recognized the part number or listed a wheel with the 4.5 BS. And thank you too Una, lookin' good! I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
758 Posts
fjcruzer said:
Thanks again! Must be super-secret since none of the other sites I tried recognized the part number or listed a wheel with the 4.5 BS. And thank you too Una, lookin' good! I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
The Series 87 wheels are the older style that were replaced by the 97 Series, so they are a bit harder to find. Procomp doesn't advertise them any longer, but they still build/sell them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
sbechtold said:
I like them alot and they do what I expected.

thanks for the info, I was gonna go with the donahoes, but i dont really feel like throwing down that much mone y, especially when there have been a few issues with them. I think I might check into the total chaos a little more

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fj Cruiser #8 said:
thanks for the info, I was gonna go with the donahoes, but i dont really feel like throwing down that much mone y, especially when there have been a few issues with them. I think I might check into the total chaos a little more

While we're off-topic, and for the noobie... whats the benefit of replacing the UCA's with aftermarket?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts