TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I've heard guys say that you can fit this size tire on a stock truck. I want the truth. Would there be cutting involved if you had a 2" front leveling kit on a 2nd gen tacoma. I've seen a lot of expo guys running these because they say its an all around better tire

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Now I've heard guys say that you can fit this size tire on a stock truck. I want the truth. Would there be cutting involved if you had a 2" front leveling kit on a 2nd gen tacoma. I've seen a lot of expo guys running these because they say its an all around better tire
they lied.
you still have to do some cutting in the cab mount area for that size (33") w/o a lot of lift.

·
Registered
357 Posts
they lied.
you still have to do some cutting in the cab mount area for that size (33") w/o a lot of lift.
I didn't... I ran that size for a couple years with c/o's cranked to about 1" with very slight rubbing on the frame at full lock, full stuff. Now I have DSM UCAs with c/o's cranked to about 2-2.5". Now I rub the UCA at full lock. There will be some rubbing, but in my case, it was nothing major. You will have to do some trimming of plastic and fenders. I think you will also have to trim the front bumper if it's stock.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i m at 2.5 with my COs running 5 star 4 runner wheels on my 1st gen tacoma with 255s rubs minimal as in maybe once a month if i am at an awkward angle and turning

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't... I ran that size for a couple years with c/o's cranked to about 1" with very slight rubbing on the frame at full lock, full stuff. Now I have DSM UCAs with c/o's cranked to about 2-2.5". Now I rub the UCA at full lock. There will be some rubbing, but in my case, it was nothing major. You will have to do some trimming of plastic and fenders. I think you will also have to trim the front bumper if it's stock.
Now is this extensive trimming or just a few little spots. I wouldn't want a big hole in my fender and bumper. The set up I was thinking was a 2" leveling kit.in the front. But it sounds to me if I ever wanted to make those tires work I'm going to need to put a lift on the truck

·
Registered
123 Posts
Lift height does not matter. The wheel and tire still get stopped by the same thing they have always been stopped by....the bump stop.

IDK why people always say my lifted truck doesn't rub...IMO that just means you don't wheel it.

My 265/70/17's rub and I'm sure my 255/85/16"s will rub even more.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
I suppose I should have qualified my answer ;)
or...should have defined "rubbing" for those that don't actually wheel.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
You will rub on a stock suspension, even with the "leveling kit". It's all a matter of where. I rub on the top of my mud flaps on small bumps when turning a little bit and on the same place when the tires are straight and I stuff the front end hard. It's annoying, but not damaging yet. I need to remove those stupid flaps before I rip one off and it takes the fender flare with it. Just get the tires, see what happens and deal with it. I worried back and forth forever, but it's not that bad. Of course, if you change from stock wheels that really screws things up...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Now is this extensive trimming or just a few little spots. I wouldn't want a big hole in my fender and bumper. The set up I was thinking was a 2" leveling kit.in the front. But it sounds to me if I ever wanted to make those tires work I'm going to need to put a lift on the truck
If you have to ask... Sounds like you might wanna consider another size. Just my :2cents:

Lift height does not matter. The wheel and tire still get stopped by the same thing they have always been stopped by....the bump stop.

IDK why people always say my lifted truck doesn't rub...IMO that just means you don't wheel it.
This.

I suppose I should have qualified my answer ;)
or...should have defined "rubbing" for those that don't actually wheel.
Well, I may not be the most hardcore guy out there, but I do wheel my truck. I have "enough" clearance from the cab mounts at full stuff. However, with any backspacing larger than stock, you would probably need to trim them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I won't lie, I have some minor rubbing when wheeling. Nothing that I worry about. No hole being worn anywhere. 255's mounted on FJC TRD wheels.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have run the 255s on stock suspension without much rubbing. cutting away some plastic inside the wheel well helped alot. I now run 1.25" spacers on stock wheels and have cut the body mount a little and need to beat the pinch weld more. But I run heavy tire chains in the snow!

For heavy duty wheeling where you are really stuffing the tires I would think you would have to do some cutting. But it shouldn't be anything major. Other than removing the mud flaps I don't think it is anything you would ever notice visually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts