TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 double cab and I just lifted it to 2.5''. I am wondering what is the difference because I am in the market for larger tires. I have done many searches and I am going to get the Maxxis Bighorns. I like the tire but I would like to see picts of 05-07 tacomas with both 255 and 265's. Also peoples likes and dislikes. I am using the stock 16in alloy wheels.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The search button is your friend, this has been talked about 20 times before.:neener:

a 265 is 10mm wider than a 255 and percentage taller depending on the size

example

265/70 R16 = 30.61 x 10.43 R16
255/70 R16 = 30.06 x 10.04 R16

The first number is the width of the tire in mm, the second number is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width; 265/70 is a 265mm wide tire with a sidewall height of 185.5mm, or 70% of the width...

Hope this helps, welcome to TTORA...

Bruce

·
Registered
188 Posts
Of course if he talking specifically about the 255/85 R16 then you get nearly three inches more height as these typically sit about 33.4 inches per the expeditions west and 10000 other threads and write ups.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done a search, but want to hear peoples personal oppinoin and see some picts so I can see the diff between a 255/85 and 265/75. Anybodys help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do some mild wheeling in the sand here in florida and sometimes do some muddin in west virginia. So i need a tire that will not rub that is wide enough and tall enough. without:saw:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
255/85 will surely rub like any other 33" tire would. You shouldn't rub with a 265/75 (32")

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am running a set of 265/70/17's on the 6-spoke alloy wheels off of a FJ Cruzer on my 05regular cab, and love them.... Is a nice step up from the tiny stock steelies....

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
^Then by all means, share your source.

Just about every wheel/tire combo yields different results, so it's far from an exact science. 255/85 tend to have a larger diameter than 285/75, and definitely larger than 265/75, and both the latter tires have been reported to rub in different circumstances (read: wheel choices). The 265/75 rubbing is pretty rare though. So with 33+ inches of diameter on the 255, you're gonna get some contact with the inner fender plastic, and maybe other places that will require trimming.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Width causes FAR more rubbing issues than diameter. Run the tallest tire you can for the amount of lift - this will usually mean a narrower tire.

Width does little for offroad performance for our trucks. 10.5" wide actually provides plenty of flotation for the weight of our trucks.

Diameter is the only way to increase the clearance under the diffs.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

(NOTE: I run 33x10.50 with NO lift, but the wheel wells are bigger on the older trucks IMHO)

·
Registered
25 Posts
With my truck leveled and front mud craps being removed I'm able to clear 255/85's with no other rubbing issues in the front. When stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey, the rear may rub a little.

Yes I lost some M.P.G's,:driving: while gaining pumpkin clearance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses. Your truck looks really good. I am going to go with the 255 Bighorns. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts